IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed that my car idles a lot better, it doesnt have that strong boggy and shakey feeling. but one thing that concerns me. it feels like the car lost some power, i dont feel that ummph like i use to before grounding. it is just me or after i took off the negative terminal, the car is relearning that is why it feels so different?
thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
could be...

keep an eye out on mileage too. local dude with a wrx claims to have gotten a +2 mpg on his after doing the ground thing...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bekster43 said:
i noticed that my car idles a lot better, it doesnt have that strong boggy and shakey feeling. but one thing that concerns me. it feels like the car lost some power, i dont feel that ummph like i use to before grounding. it is just me or after i took off the negative terminal, the car is relearning that is why it feels so different?
thanks
Most engine management loses its fuel trim settings if the battery is disconnected. So yes, it will have to re-learn the limits.

-st

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
bekster43 said:
thanks
yes you reset your ecu and it will take a little while to relearn... check out this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=302047&highlight=ecu+vishnu

Shiv shows how to reset your ECU in like 5 seconds or something. very neat stuff. worth checking out , thats for sure. Resetting your ecu will always make it feel somewaht slower at first, but itwill pick up. Also another thing is, the grounding kit may smoothe out your acceration and such so... it might feel a little slower, but in reality it isnt (same thing as the chips for the BMWs) My ///M gained like 35-40 crank hp from a JC OBdII super duper ecu reprogrammer and although it seemed slower it was much faster, just because the torque curve was smoothed out so much... so just a thought, give it a couple days and let us know what you experience. My car just felt better over all... not a huge UMPH as you're just improving the grounding,but it did feel faster and just better.

Robert~

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i also notice that the bov is a lot louder. i use to could hear it go psssh. but now after the reset, i could hear it go PPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHH! it that suppose to be like that?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bekster43 said:
i also notice that the bov is a lot louder. i use to could hear it go psssh. but now after the reset, i could hear it go PPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHH! it that suppose to be like that?
Well first off the stock valve bypasses air, it does not blow it off. That being said, there really shouldn't be a difference before vs. after.

-st

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
downpipe differences... help sort them out

bekster43 said:
Did you remove the resonator from the intake? If so, that is why you are hearing the bypass valve more. You should be able to hear the turbo spool now too. :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
I made my own grounding kit using 8ga. blue wire to seven diff't ground points (driver & pass. side strut pillar, driver & pass. side engine grounds, driver & pass. side chassis - right above and to the right of battery, same side location on pass. chassis "wall", and the firewall ground behind and below the I/C). The grounding points were sanded down to bare metal (where it wasn't already) and attached via crimpless ring connectors. Those seven wires then go to a "Stinger" distribution block, which has eight 8ga. inputs and two 4ga. outputs, and I have a 4ga. red wire running to the negative terminal on my battery. Took me FOREVER to do (like 4-5hrs., 'cause I was real big on getting it to look clean, i.e. matching zip ties, etc.). To be honest, I didn't notice as big a difference as I was hoping I would, although it has smoothed out the roughness of the idle at start-up, and just seems to make the car run "better". There have never (that I'm aware) been any CONCLUSIVE positive effects of this mod. I've heard that some dynos claim to see HP and TQ increases from it, but I take those w/a grain of salt. I figured with a fairly high powered audio system and engine mgmt. to come that a grounding mod certainly couldn't HURT, and they look nice and give you some peace of mind too.

·
Registered
858 Posts
one mag got a 3-5 hp increase.

on a dyno, you can see stuff like that... but on a BUTT dyno, i heard 20 hp increase is something you will FEEL...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Pocono Racing Schools?

Well - I had my STi baseline dyno'd AFTER the grounding mod on a Dynapack dyno and got 268ft/lb and 256HP - my only mods are I/C hoses and grounding kit. The guys doing the dyno DID say my torque was a bit better than average.......from the grounding kit? Couldn't say.....

·
Registered
779 Posts
StuBrown said:
Well - I had my STi baseline dyno'd AFTER the grounding mod on a Dynapack dyno and got 268ft/lb and 256HP - my only mods are I/C hoses and grounding kit. The guys doing the dyno DID say my torque was a bit better than average.......from the grounding kit? Couldn't say.....
What was the before dyno numbers? If you just had it dyno'd once with the mods already installed, there really isn't much significance to the numbers. I really don't see a grounding kit making much of a difference on the STi. I know I didn't gain anything when I did the grounding kit. The STi already has a very good grounding system. Older Subaru's will benefit from a grounding mod.

·
Registered
614 Posts
stiperformance.....you say the STi already has a good grounding system. All I saw when I did my kit was the ECU's grounds (of which I found 3 if memory serves) and one ground going from the driver side of the chassis (right above the battery area) to the negative terminal. I can't imagine how giving the ECU a more "honest" ground by going from various points to the negative terminal WOULDN'T be of a benefit. (not necessarily HP or TQ, but maybe a better learning system?) And I said initially this was my baseline dyno - I wasn't going to fork out $100 for 3 pulls, then another $100 for 3 more just to see if the grounding mod made a difference! That's $100!!! :) But yes, obviously older Subies with a more archaic wire schematic would benefit MORE than a newer model from this mod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts