IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I read some on another post which suggested the idea of getting a tactrix cable/ecuflash and save the stock ecu flash first. Then "married" the AP to the ECU. This is because even though you "unmarry" the AP, the dealer can still detect the checksum, however..if you then reecuflash the saved stock map, then this checksum thing won't be a problem. Am I correct on this theroy? Has anyone ever try this?

· Registered
725 Posts
The dealer would still be able to tell because the count for the number of flashes to your ECU would still be more than zero.

Meaning there is a number for the check sum and a number for the flashes. You'd show the original check sum but you would have a different flash number. They'd know something was up.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
From what I have heard the subaru select montor does not have the ability to check any flash count. You safer off with the tactrix b/c it saves the original image of the ecu rather than a genereic image the AP re-flashes if you unmarry which may also not be you original ecu ID.

· Premium Member
4,423 Posts
I have never seen any evidence that the stock ECU stores the number of flashes. I am not saying that I know for sure that it does not. I am just saying that I have yet to see ANY proof that it does. So far, it has all been paranoid speculation: people worring about it storing the number of flashes - but, nothing saying or truly suggesting that it does.

If anyone has any proof of this PLEASE post it up. I would like to know - mainly because for me this would be a really neat way to check my total number of flashes :) I think I must be going on 40 flashes or so now.

t

· Registered
239 Posts
Man I've tried finding out if a car has a tune or not. Basically you go to 'getting of vehicle info' it has three sections first two never change the third states 'calibration number', if it is stock and never flashed by anyone including the dealer it will have only one number sequence. I the dealer has reflashed with newer software it will have a second set of numbers in the third section, but if it is an aftermarket reflash of any type even AP back to stock it WILL have a second set of numbers but they will be all 0's, rule of thumb is all 0's = tune = ability to deny warranty claim if the damage could be related to a tuned ecu. I'm a subaru tech for a northern virginia dealer and have experimenting with the detection of modified ecu's even after the reversion to stock. It's pretty straight forward guys, be upfront about mods to good dealerships because if we suspect anything, even just tool marks on bolts is enough for us to go the extra mile if your an a##. As for reflashing the car back with the original map using other forms of software has yet to be seen at our dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.