IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cAN ANYone help me out wiith some ?'s about my sti?? I have been hearing a little ping noise only when I mash the accelorator coming from my engine it sounds like a bb in a pop can when you shake it is the sound when I gass it. What does the sti sound like when it is misfiring from the ecu?? I live in North Idaho and I took my car in where I bought it and they told me that Subaru told them not to touch the problem!! What the hell is up with that?? can anyone help me out with a direction or who i can contact about this?? THANKS Drive safe this winter yall

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
well you need to take it right back and tell them to fix the freaking problem... otherwise consistant ping will be a problem, or wait until you can get engine management to ever floor it again... Theres no way subaru would tell them not to touch it if your freaking engine is pinging from the factory... i mean come on. Take it back and tell them to fix it or give you a new car or something.

Robert~

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I took it in about 4 weeks ago to get the gauge pack put in I spoke with the mechanic at subaru an told him what it sounded like and he told me that suby headquarters sent out a tech sheet or something and not to mess with it until it becomes a problem. They didn't even try driving the car or anything but I think my car drives like a bat outa hell so the only thing that bothers me is the noise that it makes. But now that it is snowing my sti is put up for the winter in storage. Do they hae a test they can perform to find out if the ECU needs remapped??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealer holdback?

Okay I see how this website is a bunch of ****ing jokers with no real information for someone who is getting the runaround from his dealer!!! If someone would like to reply wit some real info I would sure be nice..

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Seriously. . . . the only thing to do here is take it to the dealer to get the ECU reflashed. If the thing sat on their lot for a while, it could easily have been one of the "pre-reflashed" units that was produced.

If they hassle you, tell them you're going to contact SoA with some very unfavorable feedback about their dealership. . . or, if you're in northern ID, call up a Subbie dealership in Spokane and have them fix it. Some dealerships are the f'ing jokers. . . not us up here.

Bit's right. . . the test is, if your car is pinging, it needs to be fixed. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yukonart thanks for your humane responce I ordered the car last december and recieved it in may so it was one of the first ones out there and I only have 5,000 mile on it so far. How do i know that this noise is a ecu problem I have heard pinging from engines before and this sounds nothing like that. I sure don't notice any detination problems. Is there any other symptoms for this other than a pinging sound???

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Well, I can't be certain about anything. . . . I just picked mine up a little over a month ago. No pinging whatsoever. . . I'm quite certain it's got the newly-flashed ECU mapping. I'd just say that since you do have one of the first STis available, that a reflash should be done as preventative care, anyway. If the dealership has a problem with doing that, have them give their objection to you in writing, and tell them if the engine suffers any ill effects from the persistent pinging/possible detonation, that you're going to hold them responsible. I'd wager to say that they'll be eager to avoid that and will agree to reflash your ECU.

I mean, come on . . . it'll cost them NOTHING to do this. I'm sure they know that. They're just being lazy for some reason. Subaru of America I'm sure would want them to do this for you.

As far as the specific ping sound goes. . . . well, it's a boxer engine. . . just about everything sounds different to me! :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey ya what is the highest octane gas they sell in Washington because in Idaho the highest is only 92 octane and the owners manual sayes to use 93 octane or higher. my dealership told me it was ok to use 92 octane but you gotta wonder.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
I frequently put only 92 octane in my baby. . . . not a single ping in 3,000 miles. :)

However, I use only a few brands of gas:

Chevron
Union 76
Texaco - when the other two aren't convenient. ;)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The sound you described is exactly as others have described their pinging. It might sound different in the STi as there is very little sound dampening material do muffle it, or maybe because it's a turbo car? Just guessing....

Having the ECU reflashed will cause the engine to adjust timing and stop the pinging from happening.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yukonart said:
I'd just say that since you do have one of the first STis available, that a reflash should be done as preventative care, anyway.
Why do you say that? My STi was built 03/03 and in 13k miles I have not heard any pinging. Do you think I should still have my ECU reflashed?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I say if there's no pinging, then no need for a reflash. I got a June delivery STi in CT; once I thought I heard a ping, but nothing repeatable in 4500 miles, always on Citgo 93 octane. No reflash for me, thank you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I recieved my sti in May with an early build date on it as well. Whatz wierd to me is that the ping/ting I hear in my car only starts when I'm driving and punch the gas it sounds at like 4,000rpms to about 5500rpms and quits but will do it in every gear when turbo really kicks in. Now if this pinging noise is ffrom misfiring shouldn't it do the same thing when I am just reving my engine up and not driving it because it only makes that noise when I'm driving??

·
Registered
144 Posts
That is correct, when boost rises under load the pos.of ping rises, If you have an sti that pings
it will only ping under load and boost( above 14 psi on 93oct. on stock car if your car is indeed a pinger)

·
Registered
144 Posts
That is correct, when boost rises under load the pos.of ping rises, If you have an sti that pings
it will only ping under load and boost( above 14 psi on 93oct. on stock car if your car is indeed a pinger)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey thanx guys makes sense now this is my first turbo charged car my last car was a 2000 suby 2.5 RS and had no problems at all. so all this is so new to me. Will make an appt. as soon as spring comes around when can get out of storage. just tryin to do as much research as possible.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i'm sorry if i didnt see this posted,but what kid of gas are you using? i have access to 94 ultra,i also put torco race gas additive every other tank( i only run tank down to a little over a quarter). i had the 17th sti in the new england area and i havent had any ping problems.check nasoic.com,lots of stuff there, also have you tried to reset your ecu,and do the vishnu trick to advance the timing? that worked wonders for my car. good luck! :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Salisburyv hey sorry haven't read post in awhile but I only have access to 92 octane gas here in north Idaho--I was concerned about that when I bought the car in may and they said(dealership) that subaru told they 92 will work. I have checked nasioc and not as responsive and info is hard to find. I e-mailed one of the techs there and no reply ever. I just want to talk with someone whose car has had this problem otherwise just peoples speculation at this point.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts