IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a stock 2012 STi running a Cobb Stage 1 tune with an AP. Threw a CEL the other week, pulled codes related to the secondary air pump system. I'm having the system removed next week and will have block off plates installed, but I'll still need to permanently remove the codes from the Cobb map.

Being new at this, what I've surmised is that I have a few options:

1. Buy Accesstuner, take the course, and remove the codes myself. This could be difficult as I don't have a PC, only a Mac and I've got no experience running Windows on a Mac.

2. Reach out to a local tuner to remove codes. Of the few NY/NJ area tuners I've reached out to they will not disable the codes without doing a full tune.

3. Reach out to an E-tuner for help removing the codes if I were to send them my Cobb map. I haven't reached out to any e-tuners yet, due to the feedback from regular tuners I'm unsure if this is something anyone is likely to do.

I apologize in advance if this is a noob question or has been covered before, but what I'm really trying to find out is if any tuners out there could remove the air pump codes without doing a full tune. I'd pay them for their time of course, but I'd like to know if I'd be asking for something that might not be doable.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've got a stock 2012 STi running a Cobb Stage 1 tune with an AP. Threw a CEL the other week, pulled codes related to the secondary air pump system. I'm having the system removed next week and will have block off plates installed, but I'll still need to permanently remove the codes from the Cobb map.

Being new at this, what I've surmised is that I have a few options:

1. Buy Accesstuner, take the course, and remove the codes myself. This could be difficult as I don't have a PC, only a Mac and I've got no experience running Windows on a Mac.

2. Reach out to a local tuner to remove codes. Of the few NY/NJ area tuners I've reached out to they will not disable the codes without doing a full tune.

3. Reach out to an E-tuner for help removing the codes if I were to send them my Cobb map. I haven't reached out to any e-tuners yet, due to the feedback from regular tuners I'm unsure if this is something anyone is likely to do.

I apologize in advance if this is a noob question or has been covered before, but what I'm really trying to find out is if any tuners out there could remove the air pump codes without doing a full tune. I'd pay them for their time of course, but I'd like to know if I'd be asking for something that might not be doable.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback!
option 1: not a fan. i tried a bunch to get windows on a mac to work but there's a lot of nuances to it. just gave up and bought a windows laptop to accomodate those needs. also not a fan of paying $150 to just turn off codes, considering that at the time, i managed to find accesstuner for free without the fees. rather put that $150 into a tuner who will help me for life.

option 2 & 3 seems more viable: when i got my local shop to remove my airpump, their local tuner was gonna remove the codes for free. thing was i had a custom tune from my personal tuner and he locked that map. Contacted my tuner and he removed it for free. so i think you can just keep calling around or contacting tuners... it's just codes they're turning off, they're not touching the map, but i dont know the full details or liability. if you have a local shop that is removing airpump and installing plates, it's possible they may refer u to a tuner that will do it (my local shop was gonna take care of it for me cept for that custom tune issue).

·
Registered
275 Posts
using the handheld by itself doesn't have option to turn it off, need to have pro-tuner software which requires cobbs class, going to a tuner who can turn it off is beneficial, or the above post should work for now! i did dyno tune when mine went out...yielded great results!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
using the handheld by itself doesn't have option to turn it off, need to have pro-tuner software which requires cobbs class, going to a tuner who can turn it off is beneficial, or the above post should work for now! i did dyno tune when mine went out...yielded great results!
Yea, a full proper tune is something I'll do down the road when cash is more readily available for fun car stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts