IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. Is it really bad to pull the e-brake every now and then? Besides wearing my tires down, what kind of effect does it have on the tranny and brake system or anything else? I usually do it to do a 180 or just go around a corner when I am messing around. Any help would be greatful. :D

Thanks in advance

RC

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
instead of usen it on the sti, just set ur dccd to the rear and a lil gas and im sure ull take corners sideways! without the ebrake! lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
Other than the obvious tire wear which only applies when the tires actually have grip, pulling the e-brake while moving makes the cables for the e-brake linkage stretch. Then the e-brake has to be pulled up farther to get the same stopping power. That's not a major issue as you have to pull your e-brake quite a few times to get the linkage to stretch and there is a section in the owners manual how to adjust your e-brake and take the slack out of it.
Using the e-brake to swing around corners is the safest way because you use the e-brake to unsettle the rear end and the AWD in auto to pull your car straight. Just remember to not hold the e-brake, I've found the best way is to tug the e-brake just as you first start to turn and release the e-brake after the car has swung out ~45 degrees. Then countersteer and gas gas gas. When you do it like that, you're pulling the e-brake for about one second. You can do hundreds of times before you need to adjust the e-brake.
Enjoy :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
stiperformance said:
JFYI, pulling the e-brake while in motion disengages the DCCD or something. So in other words, when you pull it, no power is going to the rear wheels.
:eek: I didn't know that as I am currently unblessed with a STi. :cry: But like I described above, the best way to use the e-brake is pull it just long enough to break the rear end loose while first turning the wheel. This should not ever take more than a second to accomplish. A brief power cut while pulling the e-brake will not impede your fun. :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
stiperformance said:
JFYI, pulling the e-brake while in motion disengages the DCCD or something. So in other words, when you pull it, no power is going to the rear wheels.
Or something... When you activate the parking break, the DCCD switches to Open mode, which is a fixed torque split of 35/65.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Slowride said:
stiperformance said:
Or something... When you activate the parking break, the DCCD switches to Open mode, which is a fixed torque split of 35/65.
I knew it did something, just wasn't 100% sure if it totally disengaged or went to full open. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I thought it disenguaged all power to the rear wheels....

In open mode... well, that wouldn't be ideal, as the power would be pulling against your ebrake... the 65/35 split would make it even more un-ideal....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well keep in mind that the idea is not necessarily to lock up the rear wheels, only to initiate a slide. All that you really need to achieve is a rear brake bias. Do that at turn-in, and the back end comes around, e-brake or not. Additionally, torque multiplication works in reverse under braking loads, so what you really end up with is the exact opposite torque bias acting back onto the center differential.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Let off the accelerator and push the clutch in when you pull the e-brake. All the e-brake does is break traction by briefly locking the wheels, it only takes about a second. Just hold down the lock button on the e-brake, pull it to around the middle of its travel, then immediately push back to "released" position. Whatever the AWD system does is inconsequential for that brief moment.

Come on! Less talk, more experimenting! :D

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I experimented in a semi-wet vacant parking lot last night. It was great!! Didn't do it for too long or too fast, but I enjoyed it. I still need to get the hang of it. Now, when I push the clutch in and pull the e-brake, once I release the brake, can I just pop the clutch back up and gas it or do I need to be more easy on the clutch? Sorry if that is a stupid question, just making sure I do it right. I didn't even push the clutch in the few times I did it, but it kinda worked. Thanks for all the help guys! :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
:D Awesome to hear you're trying it!
Go easy on the clutch, there's no need to pop it out. If you find your tires regrip by the time you get the clutch out, just try the slides at a little bit faster speed. I do turns in the snow at no slower than 20 mph.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i've messed around w/ this a bit while practicing on an auto-x course, and you really don't need to engage the clutch, just give the e-brake a tug to rotate the car, and then let it go. remember, viscous center diff...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just installed Drilled Rotors and Coilovers!!!

The hand brake operates a drum btw, it's not the brembo grabbing. It's not the best thing in the world for your rear diff. It takes a lot to hurt it but you probably shouldn't make a habit of playing around too much ;)

Mario

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
dude there arent any drums on this car! lol its disc brakes all around! I personally dont see a point on this car to use it. You should just kick the dccd back to rear, and just gas it more and it will swing automatically! shit even when its dry pavment! =)

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey fastass,
you should take a better look at your car, particularly the rear rotors. from the inside. parking brake is a drum...
and, you're driving lesson will work sometimes, but it isn't always the best answer...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
norcal-sti said:
remember, viscous center diff...
No, none of the diffs on the US STi are viscous. Front is Suretrac, rear is mechanical clutch, and center is DCCD (electromagnetic clutch).

·
Registered
347 Posts
oops,
just checked that, my bad...
from subaru "planetary center diff in conjucntion with electronically managed variable transfer clutch" whew...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts