IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought someone asked about this already, but I couldn't find it...

So I get into my car (in the garage), release the e-brake, then lift up on the clutch. Car doesn't go anywhere. Tried again, still no go. Then I give it some gas and it makes an awful noise but breaks loose. Something similar has happened before (always when cold), but not this bad. Almost 100% positive it is something with the e-brake. Anyone know what is going on? Should I be worried?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sounds like the parking brake shoes stuck to the drums. My Evo friend reported the same thing happening to him after he washed his car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
could be something with the cable mechinism, getting hung up. You pull it tight to engage, then when you release it, it hangs up on something until you put pressure on it...and if its an STI then dont we have disk brakes all around.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
coxSTI said:
...and if its an STI then dont we have disk brakes all around.
Of course, but the emergency/parking brake is a separate drum/shoe mechanism in the rear.

T

·
0 Posts
I get that sound also and it is (in my opinion) the parking brake sticking. Once you move a few inches it unsticks from the drum and off you go. It only seems to do it when the car has been parked for at least 12hrs or so and yes, when it's cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts