IW STi Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Pardon my lack of knowledge on this, as I haven't had the need to disassemble the stock driveshaft yet. Do the bolts have a special head on them; it looks to me like a circle with a 1/4 chunk of it missing. Is there a special tool required for bolting on and/or even removing the bolts from the driveshaft/diff flange? I can't see a regular hex pattern socket fitting on that at all.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You are correct. No need to put anything there, it's positioned in a way where it's basically locked in place by the driveshaft end. The flat part rests against a part that prevents it from turning. You just need to remove the nut behind the bolt and that's it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You are correct. No need to put anything there, it's positioned in a way where it's basically locked in place by the driveshaft end. The flat part rests against a part that prevents it from turning. You just need to remove the nut behind the bolt and that's it.
Great, thanks for the clarification. Driveshaft shipped today, should have it within a week, couldn't be more excited. I think I will opt to drill the holes larger as that is the way DSS intended it to be installed. I would rather not take my chances down the road with premature failure due to an $80 flange I can replace.

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
If DSS provides you stronger hardware just drill and use it. What's the big deal?

If you want to be a stickler, a single piece DS has fewer joints, and lower angles. You minimize parasitic looses there too :)

It's been years. I'd completely forgotten about bucking. To think I thought I just learned how to operate the car better :) Actually I'm pretty sure I mostly got through that stage before the CFDS. I think it would be difficult to get my car to buck now - with the Street Light FW. Stall yes. Buck no.

Added: anything that lessens movement between engine, chassis and driveline probably helps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Driveshaft came in today gonna be busy with work all week so I probably won't be able to install until Saturday. I came to a possible dilemma with what to use to drill out larger holes. I'm afraid with a standard cobalt or titanium 10 mm or (3/8") drill bit, there might be too much room for error and there's a chance you could drill off center and screw up the hole. Do you guys think a 10 mm or 3/8 countersink drill bit would be the best tool for the job? Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm only trying to do this once and correctly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the PST before I got DSS, mine was too short, just under 1/2" shorter then stock, which made oil squirt past the shaft seal, it also had more vibration then DSS but I have every poly bushing and mount installed. maybe I got a dud, but I wasn't about to find out for the second time and went to DSS instead.
Same here. My PST Driveshaft is too short for my GR Hatch. Worries me every time I'm on a high speed track.

I couldn't return it as I'm living in the land down under.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I purchased a used PST shaft and it didn't fit my car either. Was 1/2" short as well. Ended up with DSS instead
Older thread but would you then say the DSS is better than the PST? Are ALL PST drive shafts shorter? Seems like I've come across numerous threads indicating this and I can't understand why it wouldn't have been corrected honestly?

I was going to pick up a PST only because I kept hearing they were better quality than the DSS but now I am wondering?

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
I was going to pick up a PST only because I kept hearing they were better quality than the DSS but now I am wondering?
Pretty sure its the other way round.. Less complaints,(but RSD pushes PST so there may well be more of em) and DSS certainly looks to be the better, and not so short. The DSS, at least mine looks like they take pride in producing it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Older thread but would you then say the DSS is better than the PST? Are ALL PST drive shafts shorter? Seems like I've come across numerous threads indicating this and I can't understand why it wouldn't have been corrected honestly?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Another +1 for the DSS CF DS. I've had mine since 2014. At this point, nothing but good things to say about it. :tup:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Welp, I appreciate that then. Looks like I'm going to get the DSS. That's why I initially was going to get the PST was because it was on RSD site.

The only other thing I've read is that the CF driveshafts are slightly shorter so trans fluid leaks out? How true does this hold? I'd hate to have to keep addressing that...

Thanks again,
-Nigel

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
Should not not leak oil. There is a post on this site saying they lost a tiny bit while doing the install. Ya know, there are probably 100s of posts on this site alone! You can read em all and decide. Search CFDS, PST and DSS . . . .

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've had a DSS CF driveshaft on my 2011 STI since 2013. It has been working perfectly. No oil leaks once installed.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts