IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Looking to pop my cherry in the DSLR world.

Now, I have been looking on youtube video reviews for a few days now and also online research but man there are so many options and also every review differs from the next.
I don't even understand the hierarchy of the model numbers for Canon and Nikon. I have a somewhat grasp but i really need to read up more.

So I turn to my Subie photog fam for their perspective\insight.

Criteria:
-I want a new camera - not used
-I want an entry level DSLR (Canon or Nikon only)
-WiFi\Bluetooth
-Not really basic entry level but also something that can stick around for when I can consider myself intermediate. So prob at the high end of entry level.

Let me know what you guys that shoot recommend.

I am also up for throwing out my criteria in favor for a solid recommendation for someone like myself.

I will be shooting cars, family, vacations, family events and nature
More than likely I will not be doing fast moving objects other than my kids running around from time to time. So no need to a Sports oriented camera.

I will also be taking entry level photography classes, photo editing classes and obviously self-taught experience as soon as I land a decent camera to start with.

I named the thread "DSLR Entry Level Options 2016" just in case this takes off with good info. Others will be able to search and read up on what was/is the best entry level DSLR for year 2016 and hopefully make a good purchase for their needs.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

**I know this is an open forum and anyone can come in here and trash talk/flame/insult and give generally bad comments that are either on topic or off topic. I would politely ask that you refrain from this childish behavior in my thread and also on IWSTI.**

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well I have a Canon T3i. I actually bought it specifically for a trip to McMinnville Oregon to see the H4 Hercules. The curator thought I was nuts when I shared that with him lol. Got some good pics though, but I digress.

I think Canon is up to the T6 now. I'm actually still very happy with the camera body. However I quickly outgrew the lenses. Initially I bought a kit from Costco that included an 18-55mm and a 55-250mm. I found it very hard to get wide and Tele shots at the same time so I bought an ultra zoom lens. The range was something like 18-200mm. It was OK for a walking around lens, but focus was super slow. It sucked for motorsports and aircraft. I sold it. It was back to two lenses. I picked up a 17-55mm f/2.8. It's made for a cropped sensor body, but has L grade glass and it's very fast. Cropped sensor means the digital image chip is smaller than standard 35mm film. L grade means Canon's professional series lenses. Moving on... I also picked up a 70-200 f/4L. That is an amazing lens, but it wasn't cheap. When it comes to photography gear more money equals better quality period. If I had to do I it again I would have gotten the better lenses immediately. If I had a budget restriction I would have gotten a good walk around lens like a 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6. My cropped body has a multiplication factor of 1.6 so on my camera that lens would actually be 24-136mm. That's a really good range for general purpose in my opinion. In fact that lens is on my own list. I know you might be confused, but there are some great photography sites to explore in more detail some of the stuff I've said.

OK so Canon or Nikon? That is purely preference. I can tell you what made my choice was the menus and camera function buttons. To me they were very logically and intuitively laid out on the Canon. It was easy to navigate the menus... while I could barely figure out how to turn the Nikon on. Something I've noticed... women tend to gravitate to Nikon as well as artsy types. Men and those who are very logical thinkers prefer Canon. I would suggest you find a best buy and spend some time playing with the display cameras. That helped me in choosing. Good luck!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice info. Seems to be in line with what I have been reading.

I was thinking of doing just that, go to a Best Buy to test the stuff on hand.

Thx again.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been seeing a lot on the Nikon D3400. Seems good as entry level and works well with third party lenses.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have been seeing a lot on the Nikon D3400. Seems good as entry level and works well with third party lenses.

Any thoughts on this?
I have been very happy with the D5500 i bought last year. Super lightweight body, plenty of lens options and it takes a great picture.
i think the touchscreen alone is worth the extra over the D3300/3400, makes it very easy to use.

·
Registered
188 Posts
After many years with point and shoot cameras (Nikon and Canon), I purchased a Canon T6s.

Owned for a year now. My recommendation. Educate yourself on the pros and cons of full frame vs APS-C DSLR's. Consider the investment, the type of pictures you plan to take and your long term photography goals. You can rent camera bodies and lenses before you buy, so no risk. I'd stick with Canon personally, but try both.

I'm no expert. 32 yrs SLR > DLSR experience. Started with a Canon AE-1 SLR when I was 13. Learned B&W development and printing in high school. I enjoy nature photography, landscapes and architecture.

·
Super Moderator
8,017 Posts
If you think you'll grow into it, don't get a starter body. They're meant for people who want a better sensor in a point & shoot type setting. The D5xxx and D7xxx lines are much better, though the D7xxx line is my recommendation if you want to stay serious in it. Flexibility for AF and AF-S lenses with an excellent sensor and quite future proof.

I'm a Nikon fan so I have no comment on Canon. Hold and shoot with both before you decide as ergonomics and lens selections are pretty much the only differences these days (besides video, which I believe Canon still does better at).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx for the info so far guys. Really helps me and any other potential photog when you give feedback and not just "Hey go get this model. Good bye". :)

I started to look at the D5500 and thus far the screen itself is def worth it over the d3000 series.

I chatted with a few folks who are deep into photography and they too say the D5500 is the better option over the D3300/3400.

First I hear the D7000 being mentioned though as a good entry level camera. Yes, I am looking for it to be a good camera for when I get to the so called intermediate level but the D7000 has never been recommended thus far.

I'll take a look at that lineup to gauge it.

Thx again guys.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at the Canons and since I am around a lot of Nikon folks, I think I will keep with that since I will be able to get help and input easily when I need it. I don't know many Canon folks.

The T6 is a nice camera though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I looked at the Canons and since I am around a lot of Nikon folks, I think I will keep with that since I will be able to get help and input easily when I need it. I don't know many Canon folks.

The T6 is a nice camera though.
It is, and I'm not just saying that cause I have one.. T6s. It takes beautiful pictures and has an infinite amount of manual controls. While I prefer Canon, it doesn't mean it the best. It just happens to be what I learned on. I too agree its video is superior and in some but not all cases, so is its color, but this is really a personal preference.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a long convo with a few folks.
D3000, D5000, D7000 series are all nice based on my research for entry level cams. Canon T6 and T5 as well.

For my personal needs I think the D5500 will do well as an entry level and also as an intermediate camera for future.

I will probably be buying now for this holiday season (will wait for Black Friday deals). In mean time, should I get more info on other models, I will definitely consider them.

Keep the info coming for others to see your opinions as this thread could help others in my spot later down the road. I appreciate all the responses and PMs guys. Thx a lot.

·
Super Moderator
8,017 Posts
Keep your eyes open for D5xxx and D7xxx deals. I just saw a D7000 used go for $400 on a FB camera gear group and with 12k actuations, it was pretty much new. I think the newest model is D7200 so you should be able to pick a D7000 or D7100 up for cheap.

The d3xxx and d5xxx lines are the ones that'll likely be on sale during Black Friday. The 5xxx line is still a good line if you go that route but my recommendation is 7xxx line and be more futureproof.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What is your price point. With that knowledge I could help you better and what are you taking pictures of. In all that said I currently have all nikon d40 d90 and a d800 with all nikkor lenses. The 18-55mm lens with the kits is really fantastic for everything except low light photography. My brother in law has a canon tsi and just like the nikon it also has a really nice basic 18-55mm lens.
There are many things to consider the camera bodies get more features more pixels(sometimes a detriment) however good lenses hold their value which is why I always would recommend a good lens over a fabulous camera body.
As some one stated a d7000 as an option. I agree it has a built in focusing motor that none of the 5500-3300 series cameras will ever have. If you could get a great body(d7000) and a great lens (50mm 1.8d) over a kit 5500(good) with the 18-55 3.5-5.6(good), I would do that in a heartbeat. You can always pick up the kit lenses for dirt cheap as people upgrade these get discarded and put on craigslist.

Dont get caught up in pixels with either the nikon or canons. If you have less pixels on the same sized sensor it will out perform in darker environments as less light needs to be divided over the same surface area.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep your eyes open for D5xxx and D7xxx deals. I just saw a D7000 used go for $400 on a FB camera gear group and with 12k actuations, it was pretty much new. I think the newest model is D7200 so you should be able to pick a D7000 or D7100 up for cheap.

The d3xxx and d5xxx lines are the ones that'll likely be on sale during Black Friday. The 5xxx line is still a good line if you go that route but my recommendation is 7xxx line and be more futureproof.
I will keep my eye out for deals, thx.

What is your price point. With that knowledge I could help you better and what are you taking pictures of. In all that said I currently have all nikon d40 d90 and a d800 with all nikkor lenses. The 18-55mm lens with the kits is really fantastic for everything except low light photography. My brother in law has a canon tsi and just like the nikon it also has a really nice basic 18-55mm lens.
There are many things to consider the camera bodies get more features more pixels(sometimes a detriment) however good lenses hold their value which is why I always would recommend a good lens over a fabulous camera body.
As some one stated a d7000 as an option. I agree it has a built in focusing motor that none of the 5500-3300 series cameras will ever have. If you could get a great body(d7000) and a great lens (50mm 1.8d) over a kit 5500(good) with the 18-55 3.5-5.6(good), I would do that in a heartbeat. You can always pick up the kit lenses for dirt cheap as people upgrade these get discarded and put on craigslist.

Dont get caught up in pixels with either the nikon or canons. If you have less pixels on the same sized sensor it will out perform in darker environments as less light needs to be divided over the same surface area.

Price point? hmm, not really sure as all this is very new to me. So far looking at the D5500 with a kit seems a good starting point. I have seen "bundles" on Newegg, for example, that hover close to the $1k mark. Would I be OK spending $1K? ehh, maybe but again it has to be the body, kit lens and extras like a tripod stuff like that. I will deff not pay $1,200 or more. So my price point is roughly around the $1k mark.

Seems like the D7xxx is at the upper echelon of my introductory adventure into photography. I am sure I wont be getting the D3xxx. The D5500 seems like current great fit for me. The D7xxx, I casually look at reviews and ask around but not that I am considering it hard. It would be nice to have something to look forward to once I out grow the D5500. If I out grow the D7xxx then the next step is into the big leagues and I am not sure can ever justify spending top dollar on D5, D810 and D750 type of cameras. You can prob get cheap used but I like saving for a bit longer and getting new. No offense to those that buy used.

·
Super Moderator
8,017 Posts
If you out grow the d7xxx line, you can step up to prosumer (D500) but the d7xxx line was the interim prosumer line before jumping to full frame so it's got a lot to offer without being too much. I have a D600 which is full frame but prior to it I was on the D300s which is crop (D500 succeeded it, YEARS later). I shot cropped for 7+ years and the only reason I went FF was because of the deal I got on the D600.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I will keep my eye out for deals, thx.

Price point? hmm, not really sure as all this is very new to me. So far looking at the D5500 with a kit seems a good starting point. I have seen "bundles" on Newegg, for example, that hover close to the $1k mark. Would I be OK spending $1K? ehh, maybe but again it has to be the body, kit lens and extras like a tripod stuff like that. I will deff not pay $1,200 or more. So my price point is roughly around the $1k mark.

Seems like the D7xxx is at the upper echelon of my introductory adventure into photography. I am sure I wont be getting the D3xxx. The D5500 seems like current great fit for me. The D7xxx, I casually look at reviews and ask around but not that I am considering it hard. It would be nice to have something to look forward to once I out grow the D5500. If I out grow the D7xxx then the next step is into the big leagues and I am not sure can ever justify spending top dollar on D5, D810 and D750 type of cameras. You can prob get cheap used but I like saving for a bit longer and getting new. No offense to those that buy used.
Reading your replies, sounded a lot like the kind of things i was looking at, and i wanted it to be <$1k too.
i weighed up the whole DX/FX thing, and in the end figured with my pretty casual use of camera gear i'd never need more than the D5500. I'm never going benefit from the features on the higher end stuff, just need something that is (relatively) simple to use & can take great images. When i compared the 5500 to the 7200 i just found the 5500 much easier to use via the touchscreen (why the heck all the cameras don't have that?)
Also the D5500 with the 18-55 VRII kit lense is a really lightweight setup for everyday use, i figured no point to get something thats heavy to the point i never want to carry it around :lol:

If you havent seen it already, check out Ken Rockwells website, lots of solid info on DLSR's & lenses, i linked to the D5500page below
Nikon D5500 Review
It helped me with my research before i bought, and also helped me with lens selections.
i ended up getting an 18-300mm zoom and a 10-24 wide angle, and its been a great camera setup for just about anything i want to capture
DX Dream Team Lenses

Have fun!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reading your replies, sounded a lot like the kind of things i was looking at, and i wanted it to be <$1k too.
i weighed up the whole DX/FX thing, and in the end figured with my pretty casual use of camera gear i'd never need more than the D5500. I'm never going benefit from the features on the higher end stuff, just need something that is (relatively) simple to use & can take great images. When i compared the 5500 to the 7200 i just found the 5500 much easier to use via the touchscreen (why the heck all the cameras don't have that?)
Also the D5500 with the 18-55 VRII kit lense is a really lightweight setup for everyday use, i figured no point to get something thats heavy to the point i never want to carry it around :lol:

If you havent seen it already, check out Ken Rockwells website, lots of solid info on DLSR's & lenses, i linked to the D5500page below
Nikon D5500 Review
It helped me with my research before i bought, and also helped me with lens selections.
i ended up getting an 18-300mm zoom and a 10-24 wide angle, and its been a great camera setup for just about anything i want to capture
DX Dream Team Lenses

Have fun!

Thx man
This is very insightful.

I appreciate everyone's input and based on my needs/wants and research you all have valid info that matches what other have told me.

D5500 is still top dog.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts