IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went up to go skiing and there was 15" in the parking lot. Car handled awesome the whole way with the blizzaks.

THere were all sorts of trucks and everything getting stuck in the parking lot... I had a hard time from a stop..mainly because the bumper was pushing snow everywhere... I put it in 50/50 and dumped the clutch and had no problems.

I'll go again tomorow and take some pics.

Here are the pics.. first two I snapped on the drive up to the mountain
the others are on the street outside my place.

[/img]

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Totally know what you're talking about. Laurel and I left Crystal Mountain, WA earlier this afternoon, and there were several inches of fresh powder on an already packed parking lot. I have only my Paradas on (getting some GOOD all-seasons or snows right away) so I slid a bit trying to maneuver. Locked-up the CD and everything was a breeze from there. Got out of the parking lot at the lodge and unlocked everything. . . absolutely no problems after that. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on the packed stuff I left it in auto, it worked great the whole way. I never slid at all...unless I really tried to. But in that really deep unplowed lot it seemed to work better in lock.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Nice pics!

I finally got to drive in some snow while up in Michigan for Xmas. Only a few inches though. No problems at all. Now I am back home and we have temps in the 40's predicted all week and no snow in site. :( Maybe some snow this weekend but I doubt it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bend, OR

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
First time out in the snow tonight!! Wohoo. I found that auto works great except in turns with snow covering the road. Then it wants to slide wide slightly. Putting it into full lock seems to fix that little problem. Also when goosing the throttle in auto, it's easier to induce sliding than with it locked. Though even in locked you can produce sideways action at will!! :D

I have michelin alpin's and they seem to work great. No complaints here, not yet anyway.

Funny, I had someone in an integra decide to race me. Dar... there's snow on the ground, friend. First mistake: teg racing an sti. Second mistake: teg trying to race an sti on snow! :lol: Not too bright I guess. It did make me laugh though.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yep, first snow tonight.

Driving around in my jeep I had quite a bit of fun. Only slid more than I intended once, but it was on a slow turn and I was fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
How would a regular WRX handle in the snow? It seems like the DCCD makes all the difference... I probably wont be able to afford the STi so im contemplating (spelling?) a WRX insted...

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
With proper driving techniques and GOOD snow tires, WRXs do just fine. The DCCD we have can just make some maneuvering a bit easier in the snow. Really, it all boils-down to what's connecting you to the road. Had I been running a set of Blizzaks when I was at Crystal, I doubt locking the CD would have even entered my mind. :p

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The 5-sp and automatic WRX will handle differently. The 5-sp has a set 50/50 torque distribution and will mimic the STi in 'lock' (although not as effectively since the WRX lacks the front limited slip and does not actually lock up). The automatic however has a 45/55 f/r torque split and will tend to oversteer more - though not as much as the STi totally unlocked.

Anyway, I've got Hakka-2's on the STi right now, and the car is next to unstoppable save for acting as a snow plow!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea my sti is pretty much unstoppable too.. with the blizzaks on.

we just got about 8-10 inches again last night... there is almost 2 feet of snow at least on the roads now that are not plowed.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Once there is snow, adding more snow just gives you more traction....

It's just the initial coating of snow and ice that makes everything slippery.

Past a couple inches helps traction instead of hurting it.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yeah, I had more problems today on packed down areas (car tracks, basically) that had frozen or gotten into the "compacted slush" mode than I did in deeper snow.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey dudes, word of advice, check the fitment of the front fascia after you go snowplowing.

I didn't even consider on my wrx wagon last winter until this summer I noticed one side of the fascia was farther away from the fender then the other side.

SO I Looked under it and you know the plastice wheelwell inserts? Yea, well they have these little plastic legs on them that are braces for the fron fascia (held together with those plastic oushbutton things) and the brace was broke.

SO it basically let my fasica flap around.

Fascia or lower front fender skirt I don't know what you call it.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You can also beef up the skirt clips considerably with thru-bolts and fenders. I ripped one of my clips right through the plastic scraping the driveway (backing). It is much stronger in its repaired state. Took about 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
ANYONE TRIED THE BLIZZAKS YET?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts