IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 06 sti brand new about 2 months ago.It has 2700 miles on it now.I have already gone stage 2 and back but that has nothign to do with this post.I have been back to stock for about 300 miles now.I drove an 04 stock sti with 17k miles on it today.The thing was fast compared to my car.It felt like my car did when it was stage 2.Im wondering a few people i talked to said thats normal and my car still needs to brake in.Has anyone seen this as well?The only thing he does differently was mobil 1 oil changes.

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
You should be past most of the break-in. The 04 IIRC was lighter, that may have been why it feels faster.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Most engines are built pretty tight now days and after 15-20K mi they get a little faster as the engine loosens up. I can't image it would compare to a stage 2 vs stock though. Maybe some of it has to do with how humid and air temp etc when you drove his '04.

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
The '04 is a bit lighter. No radio and some other stuff. I don't really know by how much though. There's less total bodywork to take into account as well.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
early 04 cars had more timing. They detuned later cars because of detonation issues.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
blindfold said:
so jealous of those bearings...and that 6gunracing bearing kit looks better and better everyday. I see you have 2004.5 listed under your name, what kit bearing kit did you use?
6GunRacing. :D

Hell man, you could call them locally for tech support. :lol:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
04's are a little faster, although that point is debatable. The wheels are narrower and hence lighter, and the hubs are smaller/lighter too. I also agree that the car will make a little more power with more miles on it.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Along with being lighter, how you drive your car affects HP as well. Our CPUs learn as you drive, drive like a pansy and it will learn to be a pansy. Drive like a champ and it learns to make power. Try reseting the CPU when you get back into your car and flooring it through a few gears so the realtime map is aggresive, and see if that does not liven up your stocker 06.

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
ninjaboy76 said:
04 > 05-06...j/k.
I'm not j/k, that's the truth!!!:tup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tortfeasor STi said:
Along with being lighter, how you drive your car affects HP as well. Our CPUs learn as you drive, drive like a pansy and it will learn to be a pansy. Drive like a champ and it learns to make power. Try reseting the CPU when you get back into your car and flooring it through a few gears so the realtime map is aggresive, and see if that does not liven up your stocker 06.
+1... This also brings the debate of people that don't run their cars hard enough at break in and run into oil consumption problems.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think I'm a little crazy, but I swear my car just got faster within the last 1,000 miles. I'm currently Stage 1 (since 2,000) and just hit over 11,000 miles.

Who knows?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts