IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needless to say I suck. this 300hp awd car is my first manual car. I can drive it ok, but when it comes to my launch, i either bog or fry the clutch to much. only a few times have I gotten a good jump.

other thing is, what is the prime rpm to shift at? And it seems when I clutch in the rpm's jump up a lil.

And I need tips on proper downshifting...I downshifted and let it out too fast the other day and got a hell of a clunk

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
well first of all dont launch ur car at all, until you know how to drive stiick well

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
reeksti said:
well first of all dont launch ur car at all, until you know how to drive stiick well
You have to learn somehow, and with the STi 6 speed, the worst you can do is break an axle, or roast your clutch. That is, unless you do something really wild.

·
Registered
97 Posts
when you downshift you have to match engine RPM with the rest of the driveline. So as you press in the clutch give it some gas to match the RPM to where it will jump to

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
scorcher2005 said:
when you downshift you have to match engine RPM with the rest of the driveline. So as you press in the clutch give it some gas to match the RPM to where it will jump to
:yeahthat: > . . the more u drive the more u get used to speed and rpm in each gear and you will know almost exactly were ur rpm will jump to . . .

if u want to save gas shift before 3,500 . . . :D = but that never happens lol ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO, for best launch:
1) Floor it and hold it to till you hit around 45-4800 rpm. This happens quickly.
2) When you hit said rpm, keep it floored and slip the clutch. This takes practice. You have to do it quickly but don't just dump it.
3) Keep it to the floor and be ready to shift to 2nd, it comes quick.

In my 03, I did a 1.8sec 60ft this way with only a TBE and EM. The STi clutch and tranny are different so you may have to adjust the rpm a bit, but that's a good place to start.

You have to floor it instead of holding the rpm because Wide Open Throttle builds boost MUCH faster than feathering the gas does. (Because more exhaust gas will be flowing through the turbo)

Note: Do not do this until you can shift very quickly and feel comfortable driving your car hard. You've been warned.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Make sure you double clutch when you downshift. It will save your Syncros in and make your clutch last a lot longer!

Basically when you want to down shift from 5th to 4th:

1.) Push the clutch in
2.) Take 5th gear out and put into nutral
3.) Let clutch out
4.) Blip the gas pettle
5.) At the same time you are bliping the gas pettle to get the revs up, Push the clutch back in and shift to 4th.
6.) Lastly, let the cluch out!!

This whole process should only take like 3 seconds max!

Reving it back up is key as you need to have the engine and whatever gear your going to match. That way, there is no jearking! You are also saving your clutch.

A lot of people don't realize that when they are down shifting and not reving the engine to match the gear, its the same thing as frying the clutch getting out of first gear from a start!

Anyways hope that helps!!

I'm actually going to do a pole as to how many people actually double clutch!

Jay

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i can drive manual just never did it in a racey manner. bounced off the rev limit once, and i used to miss third a lot. one time i manadged to get it back to 1st from second which is probably real real bad, since the rpm's spiked up really high.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mr.C said:
IMO, for best launch:
1) Floor it and hold it to till you hit around 45-4800 rpm. This happens quickly.
2) When you hit said rpm, keep it floored and slip the clutch. This takes practice. You have to do it quickly but don't just dump it.
3) Keep it to the floor and be ready to shift to 2nd, it comes quick.

In my 03, I did a 1.8sec 60ft this way with only a TBE and EM. The STi clutch and tranny are different so you may have to adjust the rpm a bit, but that's a good place to start.

You have to floor it instead of holding the rpm because Wide Open Throttle builds boost MUCH faster than feathering the gas does. (Because more exhaust gas will be flowing through the turbo)

Note: Do not do this until you can shift very quickly and feel comfortable driving your car hard. You've been warned.
Actually, that's not the best way to launch the car, obviously since you are only pulling 1.8 60's. You have to blip the throttle to build boost, flooring the car when it is in neutral doesn't build boost.

The method that works best for me and most people is, blip the throttle from 5K-5.5K, constantly going from 5K-5.5K, then let out the clutch about as fast as you can, don't side step it and drop the clutch completely, but take your foot off VERY fast, and i'm not exaggerating about very fast, you need to take it off very fast. Blipping the throttle is what builds boost when the car is in neutral, for example look at how 2 steps/launch control works, you set it for whatever rpm (~5.5K) and just floor the car, automatically it will bounce from about 5.5k-5.8k, and all you have to do is concentrate on dropping the clutch. By blipping the throttle it works kinda like a launch control.

By using this method i have gotten consistant 1.6-1.7 60's, with a best of 1.62 on stock re070's. Try this method and i guarantee if you do it right, you will notice a big improvement. Most people don't understand how fast to let out the clutch, on a perfect launch you don't even smell the clutch and you will break the tires loose. If you smell your clutch, you let it out too slow, you have to take your foot off almost as fast as you can. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
jaydow11 said:
Make sure you double clutch when you downshift. It will save your Syncros in and make your clutch last a lot longer!

Basically when you want to down shift from 5th to 4th:

1.) Push the clutch in
2.) Take 5th gear out and put into nutral
3.) Let clutch out
4.) Blip the gas pettle
5.) At the same time you are bliping the gas pettle to get the revs up, Push the clutch back in and shift to 4th.
6.) Lastly, let the cluch out!!

This whole process should only take like 3 seconds max!

Reving it back up is key as you need to have the engine and whatever gear your going to match. That way, there is no jearking! You are also saving your clutch.

A lot of people don't realize that when they are down shifting and not reving the engine to match the gear, its the same thing as frying the clutch getting out of first gear from a start!

Anyways hope that helps!!

I'm actually going to do a pole as to how many people actually double clutch!

Jay
you can double clutch if you want but with all the modern syncros, it's not really necessary.. double clutching is good technique to know though :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Letting out as fast as I can...? sounds like a drop. Am I waiting to feel it catch slightly and then letting it out as fast as I can?

·
Registered
402 Posts
STimo said:
Actually, that's not the best way to launch the car, obviously since you are only pulling 1.8 60's. You have to blip the throttle to build boost, flooring the car when it is in neutral doesn't build boost.

The method that works best for me and most people is, blip the throttle from 5K-5.5K, constantly going from 5K-5.5K, then let out the clutch about as fast as you can, don't side step it and drop the clutch completely, but take your foot off VERY fast, and i'm not exaggerating about very fast, you need to take it off very fast. Blipping the throttle is what builds boost when the car is in neutral, for example look at how 2 steps/launch control works, you set it for whatever rpm (~5.5K) and just floor the car, automatically it will bounce from about 5.5k-5.8k, and all you have to do is concentrate on dropping the clutch. By blipping the throttle it works kinda like a launch control.

By using this method i have gotten consistant 1.6-1.7 60's, with a best of 1.62 on stock re070's. Try this method and i guarantee if you do it right, you will notice a big improvement. Most people don't understand how fast to let out the clutch, on a perfect launch you don't even smell the clutch and you will break the tires loose. If you smell your clutch, you let it out too slow, you have to take your foot off almost as fast as you can. Good luck!

haha i love breaking tires loose for some reason...and yes i prefer this way rather than the slipping

·
Registered
402 Posts
IDAHOSTI said:
Letting out as fast as I can...? sounds like a drop. Am I waiting to feel it catch slightly and then letting it out as fast as I can?
dont wait to feel it catch....have it all the way on the floor...blip the throttle until about 5k or 6k...then completely take ur foot off the clutch as fast as you can...basically dumping it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
STimo said:

I wasn't driving an STi. That was on an 03 WRX with TBE and UTEC w/stage 2 map. Stock wheels and tires. It was actually 1.7 60 ft. I just looked at my timeslip. I think that's pretty good, considering longer gearing and less power and traction.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well damn it...still having a hell of a time launching...haven't done it lately and tonight I went out on a back road and tried over and over...a few times it was too slow and burnt the clutch...ONCE it was perfect and smooth and took off pretty fast....after that I could not do it again....I let it out fast as you say but bogged everytime...and got the clunck/pop noise from the rear.

This sucks

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
IDAHOSTI said:
Well damn it...still having a hell of a time launching...haven't done it lately and tonight I went out on a back road and tried over and over...a few times it was too slow and burnt the clutch...ONCE it was perfect and smooth and took off pretty fast....after that I could not do it again....I let it out fast as you say but bogged everytime...and got the clunck/pop noise from the rear.

This sucks
If you smell clutch, you're not letting the clutch out fast enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts