IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving the STi 7
For those who asked for driving impressions on the STi. :

I have some 1200Kms on the clock now and have had an oil change. The dealer says I can now take revs to 5000 rpm till 5000K before I go redline. I could feel a bit of grunt before 4000 revs but I was dissapointed because my last scooby started to come alive at about 3500 revs. (I am not a racing driver so my comments are purely from a everyday car enthusiasts perspective.)

I quite missed my old car UNTIL I let the revs out till it caught about 4100 rpm and as the mag write ups say " All hell breaks loose." The power surge is unbelievable. I cannot rev right through but even changing at 4500rpm I get to speeds so quicky it's scary.

There is a downside though. Maybe I am just not used to it but I don't know if I can get used to this 6 speed thing. It just seems like too much hard work. I set the warning beeper (not buzzer as the write ups say) to 4600rpm and it accelerates so quickly that I struggle to keep up. The cabin of may car sounds like a fire alarm as it feels like only a second before the beeper goes.
All I hear is BEEEP beeep, beep beeeep,beeep beeep!!!

Maybe I'll get used to it.(Or maybe this car is too fast for me! )
I shiver when I think of redlines.
And to think that Prodrive will have a kit for this BEAST soon.

Last thought for now. Those of you that are getting the STi, be sure you don't have back problems or loose teeth as the ride is HARD and SOLID.

Cheers for now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Question about that 6-speed tranny:
Last year I test drove
a 5-speed WRX. One thing I noticed is that
when slowed down almost to a stop (but still
rolling) I dropped it to 2nd gear, but the
car didn't seem to have enought power to get
going. I had to drop it to 1st. Normally
I don't like to put it in 1st until I come to
a complete stop.

How is this with the STi? Can you get going
OK in 2nd gear?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have often heard that the ride is hard and solid, but how would that compare to, say, an ITR? (They are always rated as being a hard ride, but I didn't find it too bad.)

Eric

·
Registered
159 Posts
At least you have one to drive. Maybe SOA is watching over this forum and they see this: "we want our STI, NOW!" :smile:

Glen

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tisbe :

I get going in 2nd fine although it doesn't jump up and say hello.It take one/two seconds to pick up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
erict :

I've been in a few sports cars before (Don't know what a ITG is.)and the ride is hard.Please don't think that I'm complaining.I'm not.I think the gains in handling are worth it.The corners and bends are a dream come true.I always hated the body roll in my '00 turbo.The only thing that rolls now are my organs.:smile:.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
ITR= Acura Integra Type R

I think the ride will be much like the ride of my current car. I have STi V6 struts and springs, so it is stiff, but very bearable.

Bullet:

Let's say you are on a very curvy road, or maybe even an autocross/gymkahana course. Is it going to be hard, in your opinion, to keep the engine on boil :smile: under conditions like that? Is turbo-lag going to be a really big problem, or does the gearing really help?

JJ

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JJ :
The gearing helps APlenty.Keeping it alive is now very easy.I find that even my changes are much smoother that in my old car.I can even do a slower change and still come in well in boost.What a pleasure.The revs climb VERY quickly and you don't really get time to enjoy the push before you have to change.With the revs climbing so quickly I can't wait for the Scooby exhaust sound.I think that the warble sound climbing so quickly is going to change the experience alot.(As well as turn more heads :smile:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a much more distinctive tranny whine by the stick in the STi. The dealer says it's because the gears are thicker and shorter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts