IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the car October 2019, thinking that this was going to be the last model year....wrong!
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

I kept debating which route I wanted to go for track car build. Do I do everything I can possibly do to a car out right, or do I grow with the car? Coming from a 622whp Evo X with everything you can slap on suspension wise, it was really hard to figure out if I needed to adjust the car or the driver. After breaking the car in after 5000 mi., May 2020, I decided to go with "growing with the car" route with safety first.

Started the mods with:
Engine
MAPerformance Stage 1 OTS tune
Perrin Oil Cooler
Get-A-Dom cylinder 4 cooling mod
IAG Competition AOS

Handling
Stock Suspension and alignment
Stock wheels and tires

Brakes
Goodridge SS braided brake lines front and rear
Carbotech XP10 front and rear pads
Motul 660 brake fluid

Interior
Sparco Evo2 seats for driver and passenger
Harness Bar
Sparco 6pt seatbelts
Cusco harness anchors
AIM Solo DL2
AIM Smarty Cam

Grille Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part
Gas Auto part Font Display device Machine
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering wheel
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

This was my first time running this car on track and also my first for Michelin Raceways Road Atlanta. I managed a 1:51.6. I was scared to death of turn 11 and 12. Anyhow, the car grossly understeered and was very underpowered. Also, I wasn't a very good driver.

This was my first time at Sebring International Raceways. I managed a 2:46.61. What a fun track. Anyhow, I fought understeer like crazy, 4 wheel drifting trying to maintain speed. I got a lot of compliments.

The stock brakes aren't what I expected them to be, especially the front (loaded side). They started cracking almost from hole to hole. I would overheat the brakes quickly, after 15 minutes during session. My calipers are a very dark orange. It looked cool at first, but after 3 events, they are on the way of looking black. Anyhow, my confidence in the brakes are very low. Also, I have to replace my pads every 2 events.
__
October 2020, time to address the lack of power and gross understeer.
I got with Fortune Auto and we went over my data (weight/balance, my driving telemetry weakness, etc..) and they were able to help me out on not just their shocks, but how my initial suspension/tire setup configuration should start out and tweaked from there.
My additions:
Engine
MAPerformance Stage 2 OTS tune
MAPerformance Intake
MAPerformance Downpipe
Invidia R400 titanium catback
IAG Competition Oil Pan

Handling
Fortune Auto 510 (Front 9Kg/Rear 10Kg swift springs)
Fortune Auto Remote Damper System
Super Pro Sway Bars (Front 26mm/Rear 24mm)
Super Pro Rear LCA
Super Pro Roll Center Kit
Soul Function Front/Rear Strut Tower Bar with brake master cylinder brace
Rays Grams Light 57CR 18x9.5 +38
Toyo Proxes R888R 255/35
Camber Front -3.5, Rear -2.75; Tow is set at 0 F/R

Brakes
Front 2pc GiroDisc Rotors
Front G-Loc R12 Pads
Verus Brake Cooling Kit

Interior
Gutted B-Pillar on back (Car weighs 3664lbs with me in. @ time weighed, I was 220lbs)
Got promoted to NASA HPDE3 and Chin Track Days Blue Group.
Car Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Car
Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car

Road Atlanta, just seeing how I stack with the more powerful cars. This is when I realized that I have improved a lot as a driver and I have put a lot of faith in my cars abilities. I may be slow, but I got moves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Personal Best as of now 9/26/2021
Michelin Raceways Road Atlanta: 1:42.100 (9 sec improvement since the first time)

Sebring International Raceways: 2:32.761 (14 sec improvement since the first time)

Barber Motorsports Park: 1:46.300 (first time here)

Florida International Rally and Motorsports Park: 1:22.611(video corrupted), 1:23.100 recorded (first time here)
Vehicle Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I really like the car BTW I am also a former EVO owner. Back in the day I purchased a brand new Evo IX GSR kept that car for several years & till this day I really miss the 4G63.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the car BTW I am also a former EVO owner. Back in the day I purchased a brand new Evo IX GSR kept that car for several years & till this day I really miss the 4G63.
I had a 08' GSR. I had nothing but great things to say about that car. It pulled to the end of days and used to race everything from bikes to GTR's. Coming from Japan, I was big into mountain racing with my silvia's and thought I was fast. Then I got introduced to track driving in the US and realized that I wasn't as good as I thought I was. I learned a valuable lesson, it's easier to be fast with a slow car than with a fast car.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Daytime
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Nice here is a very old pic (Summer 2007) of my 06' IX GSR. It was full bolt-ons, upper & lower IC piping, Turboback exhaust & tune. Even though I am on my 2nd STI. I still very much miss the EVO IX.
Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
720 Posts
very nice, i wish i had taken the grow with the car route, i'd have been in a completely different class lol. but i didnt buy my sti with any intention of tracking it, then got into tracking it myself and here we are lol. i really like the car and look forward to seeing what you do with it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
very nice, i wish i had taken the grow with the car route, i'd have been in a completely different class lol. but i didnt buy my sti with any intention of tracking it, then got into tracking it myself and here we are lol. i really like the car and look forward to seeing what you do with it
I know what you mean. I was that way with the Evo. I raced anything on the highways and the car handled well, from a normal person perspective. Back in the days, AMS had Ryan Gates 311 w/ 2008 Evo X, and he did Global Time Attack. We had similar builds, his car being race prepared and mine being just power and suspension, he dominated the events in his class. I figured, I got this....man, was I wrong. Being a hero on the highways and mountains does not translate to circuit.

Every session was a very humbling experience. Fast on the straights and garbage on the corners. I was getting taken in the corners by SPEC BMW's and it took me forever to get decent with that power. On top of that, I didn't know what to correct. I didn't know where or how to get to the limits of the car. I told myself the next time I'm going to start out with a bone stock car. Now, I can tell whether to correct myself or the car... best decision yet. I am just as fast or faster now than a normal driver with more powerful cars, understanding their frustrations.

When I come back in February, I'm going to finish the stock motor (stage 3+), more cooling, add aero, and move up to the final class. I'm going to my next event in March or April, but I'll probably spend an entire day with settings. And thanks!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I know what you mean. I was that way with the Evo. I raced anything on the highways and the car handled well, from a normal person perspective. Back in the days, AMS had Ryan Gates 311 w/ 2008 Evo X, and he did Global Time Attack. We had similar builds, his car being race prepared and mine being just power and suspension, he dominated the events in his class. I figured, I got this....man, was I wrong. Being a hero on the highways and mountains does not translate to circuit.

Every session was a very humbling experience. Fast on the straights and garbage on the corners. I was getting taken in the corners by SPEC BMW's and it took me forever to get decent with that power. On top of that, I didn't know what to correct. I didn't know where or how to get to the limits of the car. I told myself the next time I'm going to start out with a bone stock car. Now, I can tell whether to correct myself or the car... best decision yet. I am just as fast or faster now than a normal driver with more powerful cars, understanding their frustrations.

When I come back in February, I'm going to finish the stock motor (stage 3+), more cooling, add aero, and move up to the final class. I'm going to my next event in March or April, but I'll probably spend an entire day with settings. And thanks!
nice. yeah mine will go e85 just for the safety it provides, and i'll add a little more power. primarily i do trackcross (think autocross on a road course), it utilizes most of the road course minus the front straight typically. so it's fun, and significantly more affordable than hpde/time attack days. i did pretty well in autocross but moving to the circuit i found my shortcomings VERY quickly, and i'm hoping to get some in car instruction next year to really learn how to push the car and trust it in corners. but the class there limits me to under 400whp, which with my setup, i'll have right at 390 (on a 20g), hopefully it wont be too much to learn on and i'll progress as i get more seat time. currently i'm saving for my wedding so i wont get to the track again till next season. only things i'm planning on changing are wheels/tires and pads/rotors when that happens, MAYBE seats if i can swing them. so nothing crazy different. if i was to start over again, i'd be doing exactly what you are doing, but since i'm already here with this power, may as well run it where it's at lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your autocross experience will make you a God on negotiating consecutive corners. You'll just have to learn high speed corners. Yeah, the dilemma of weddings....happy wife=happy life

·
Registered
720 Posts
Your autocross experience will make you a God on negotiating consecutive corners. You'll just have to learn high speed corners. Yeah, the dilemma of weddings....happy wife=happy life
haha i hope so. i definitely have quite a bit to learn. and yeah, wedding isnt super expensive, but since i need tires and brakes and track insurance on top of track costs....i wont be able to swing it till next year,

·
Registered
2021 Subaru WRX STI (Silver)
2 Posts
Very cool and inspiring! We have the same car, (2021 Silver STI) and aside from maybe just an axleback exhaust in the future, I'll be keeping mine totally stock so we're getting to experience opposite sides of the same coin. Looking foreword to seeing how your race car journey goes with it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cool and inspiring! We have the same car, (2021 Silver STI) and aside from maybe just an axleback exhaust in the future, I'll be keeping mine totally stock so we're getting to experience opposite sides of the same coin. Looking foreword to seeing how your race car journey goes with it!
Keeping the car stock is the best way to see your growth and also to keep the reliability. Yeah, muffler for sure. With helmet on, I couldn't hear my car at all as it was bone stock. It was a PITA as I didn't know where to shift, couldn't look down at the gauge and watch the road at the same time. Exhaust is definitely your best friend. I would also recommend that you at least do a track alignment with a -2 degree camber in front. I did it with stock alignment and I played with tire pressure after every session, but the tires kept folding. That's the big reason why I kept understeering every corner.

On my first track weekend, my rotors started cracking and calipers turned orange. I went to the dealership to try and get new rotors under warranty, they pretty much told me that my car won't be covered under warranty just by looking at my calipers. They knew I was driving the car pretty hard and I think they made it that color on purpose. When I bought the car, I didn't care about the warranty; but brake color...come on. That kinda pissed me off, cause you have other manufacturers (Toyota supra, chevy camaro/corvette, Nissan GTR, etc) that honor warranty for track use as long as the car is stock. That was my dealership and I know that there are unicorn dealerships out there, so hopefully yours is one. I had a little over 5k miles at the time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So the cross drilled rotors must be just for looks if they couldn’t hold up to a weekend at the track. Do other crossed drilled rotors have this issue? Subaru’s marketing definitely insists that the STI is track focused . Are the calipers permanently orange now?

Nice STI! I’ve never tracked mine, maybe one day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That's the nature of cross drilled rotors. It has the best cooling dissipation, but also the greatest cracking prone.

You're right, they do market it that way but don't honor it.

And thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
So the cross drilled rotors must be just for looks if they couldn’t hold up to a weekend at the track. Do other crossed drilled rotors have this issue? Subaru’s marketing definitely insists that the STI is track focused . Are the calipers permanently orange now?

Nice STI! I’ve never tracked mine, maybe one day.
As stated above. The rotors are the best Type for cooling. But more prone to cracking. The STi brakes can handle track use. But you’ll need to swap out brake lines, fluid, and pads for the track. The rotors will be fine. Although I’m not sure exactly how long they’d last. Too many variables for that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had to replace rotors after the second track event as the cracks went from hole to hole. I went with girodisc. They held up excellent as I was able to get almost 10 events with them. They have surface stress cracks now, but they do the job. I also have brake ducting, which probably helped.

As JFAZ said, brake lines, pads, and high temp fluid is a must for tracking. Even with that, I still manage to boil the fluid towards the end of each session. But that's better than a lot of the cars out there where I can go longer.

The calipers are permanently orange...a very dark orange now. I'm actually thinking about swapping the front calipers for the apracing radi-cal's. The stock is good, but not great with heat management.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts