IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This illustrates a point that I would like to make about the STi vs. EVO and the magazine reviews re: the STi's "numb" handling.

The first time out in the STi I was PISSED because it seemed I could not get the car to rotate or handle nearly as well as my 2000 RS with upgraded suspension.

Now, I can get the car to rotate pretty much when I want and how I want. What changed? Nothing on the car, but my driving style sure did. When you DON'T push the STi hard enough, guess what, you will start to agree with the magazines. However, drive it like you stole it, and the magic begins. I guess maybe you actually have to be putting power down to get the diffs to work. Once you turn in you can floor it. If I try that in my RS, I will end up in the weeds..

Are there improvements to be made? You bet. I bet with Spec C springs, and more negative camber this thing will be absolutely deadly against pretty much everything out there. Add the Spec C steering rack, and things could get scary... With those two things, you will have a Spec C + ~200 pounds, which could easily be offset with power or removed. This would be the Ultimate Road going Impreza, period.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Good description JJ. Been to the track a few times now? I haven't been able to yet, and I can't wait to really feel the thing working.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PDI Fools!

Yep, I have been out a few times. Gotta tell you, the more and more I drive the car, the more it seems like magic. Here's a description from another Subaru fan (who bought an EVO:() :

But one thing I noted was that JJ, not being what you would call a 'finesse driver', could pretty much muscle the STi through a turn on any line he wanted. He'd get the car all sorts of sideways and out of shape on turn entry, and the thing would come beautifully back on line every time. He was able to throw the car around in ways that would have sent my WRX spinning off the circuit.
"Finesse" doesn't work with this car- you have to work it...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know for a fact that the STi is faster than the Evo when it comes to Autocrossing, and the roadcourses. I was at the SOlotime nationals this past week and I dusted a EVO by almost 2 seconds in AS. However, I was on Hoosier racing tires both days, and the first day (thursday for me) it was raining, which put me way back in my class. The EVO put on his streets to get around the rain. On Friday, he put back on his racing tires which were the same brand, size, and wear as my hoosier R compounds. If it were dry both days, I would have placed around 11 or 12th in my class of 27, including 3 other Sti's (one was a 2 driver car) and that EVO.

Yesterday I spent the day at Heartland Park, Topeka Kansas with the Porsche club on the roadcourse, there was a new evo there as well, we weren't running the same group together, but rough timing with my watch, my times were upwards of 7 seconds faster, and the EVO driver was a instructor (i.e. Professional driver).

For all of you who haven't done your STI on a roadcourse, all I can say is, whatever it costs to do it, it's worth it. It's like driving a professionally prepared car. Just get some negative camber within factory specs (camber bolts on the struts) and Toe out the front and back wheels, and you'll have a bad-ass machine.

Branden

·
Registered
9 Posts
The STI needs to pushed b4 you start to realise just how good this car is. It is very difficult to get a full feel for it on the road (legally anyway :wink: ).

I use to do some sport car "Road course" racing (I am from the UK, now living in the US, I cannot get use to call racing tracks road courses :lol:)

Auto Xing also helps, although most corners are too slow and strainghts to short to get a full impression.

I am doing some track Auto Xing on longer Test Tracks in the next couple of month and really looking foward to higher speed corners.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In addition to driving the STi like a maniac, I have found that screaming, cursing, and yelling "BANZAII!!!" seems to help as well...In fact, I nailed FTD at the last Autocross with this method. :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I completely agree, once you learn how to drive the Sti, you can spank some serious arss! Look at my times I posted in this forum on my AutoX day, I beat a 01 M3 by over 4 seconds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts