IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sub turned into a projectile on a recent autocross practice, so I am trying to reinstall it so that aggressive driving won't unseat the thing again.

Is it okay to drill 1/4" - 1/2" into the metal floor in the lower-left coner of the trunk? The sub takes up that 10x14" corner, right below the compartment that holds the jack. I doubt the gas tank is there, but does anyone happen to know if there are other obstructions directly below the trunk that I may accidentally drill into? I'll be putting 4 screws through.

Thanks in advance! :)

(This is for an infinity 10" "Basslink" sub - pretty small enclosure, but stands straight up and has 4 mounting holes on the base.)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, two of my screws sheared off and I found two other screws rolling around, but couldn't locate any holes in the metal where they came from. I had considered ties or straps of some kind, but what are you strapping them to?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I also had the same problem so i did this :D....

·
Registered
896 Posts
What you guys could do is use carriage bolts and just get them from underneath. A carraige bolt digs itself into the wood on the bottom of the box so theres no need to take the sub out of the box whenever you want to take the box out of your trunk.

My box is custom made to sit right up against the back seat. If you remove the back of the seat, there are 2 upright supports, each support has a little flange on it. I just screwed my box right to the seat support.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not 100% sure for the 04 but I know on my 05' STi there is already a hole drilled through the floor of the trunk under the carpet. It is covered by a silver sticker and is near the access panel for the spare tire jack.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Another alternative to drilling: I took two 2" wide strips of metal flashing and bolted them in where the back of the rear seat is fastened to the car frame... (You remove the bottom of the rear seat to find these). then bolted the strips to base of my sub/amp board on the floor. My sub is rock solidly held against the back of my back seat that way, with no drilling and easy removal if neccessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts