IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In search of trying to find out why I wasn't reaching target boost, I found my problem. It turns out to be a pretty bad crack on the wastegate. I decided to order a new housing and throw it on there an was wondering if anyone has had experience with doing this before and what I should know before doing it. I don't really plan on taking the cartridge out because there's no shaft play. Only if something is damaged, will I replace it. Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Is the wastegate flapper valve cracked or the turbine housing? If it's the flapper valve then yes, replace it. If it's the turbine housing, your problem is elsewhere. Most VF turbines develop a crack and it has zero effect on performance and the capability of hitting target boost.

Have you done a boost leak test yet? That's typically the first step in troubleshooting boost error.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have done a boost leak test and a smoke test.
here’s a picture of the crack

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Yeah that's normal. I would be very surprised if there was any measurable effect from that. Otherwise nearly every STi out there would have trouble hitting target boost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts