IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all!
I am calling on the subie community for help! It is that dreaded time again, once every two years. I need to get my vehicle smogged for the man. I feel as this time I have gone too far, past the point of no return. You guys know how it goes. I got ringlands, had my motor rebuild, and somehow now I have a stage 4 sti sitting the garage that needs a smog cert. I live in the San Diego area. Anybody know anyone that could help me smog my vehicle? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
leave the state.. utah is great.

otherwise, wave two benjis in front of indy smog shop owners in seedy areas until someone says, 'passed'.

gl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone, thank you for the replies. I laughed way harder than I should have at the Pokémon joke. I talked to a guy and he pretty much said there’s no way around it now in CA with the state Ref threat. I’m currently working on going back to stock.

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
when i was in CA and had my STI stage 2, I just put the stock exhaust back on and reflashed the tune back to stock for the one day then swapped it all back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's pretty much up to the technician's discretion. Other than that, try to make things inconspicuous (refer to the few things mentioned above) and have a cat! I've read in the past that cars pushing stage 2/3 levels of powers were able to pass smog with E85. I have no experience with it, but food for thought.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good evening all!
I am calling on the subie community for help! It is that dreaded time again, once every two years. I need to get my vehicle smogged for the man. I feel as this time I have gone too far, past the point of no return. You guys know how it goes. I got ringlands, had my motor rebuild, and somehow now I have a stage 4 sti sitting the garage that needs a smog cert. I live in the San Diego area. Anybody know anyone that could help me smog my vehicle? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Whats even funnier is Im in your same boat and Im kinda worried too. So what Im hoping for is the guy will turn a blind eye to the visual and just plug in the damn computer. I do still have TGVs and not sure those are removed and turn the MIL off with the AP if his computer would catch it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whats even funnier is Im in your same boat and Im kinda worried too. So what Im hoping for is the guy will turn a blind eye to the visual and just plug in the damn computer. I do still have TGVs and not sure those are removed and turn the MIL off with the AP if his computer would catch it?
Hey oc, so I’ve learned a lot over this last week or so. I talked to a smog for a while and picked his brain. He said if they plug it in and the smog machine detects any kind of tune to the oem software, that’s a red flag right away and will most likely get sent to the state ref. The visual test is the only part where you can find guys that have leniency but as for the rest, the computer needs to be on a stock tune with all “I/M” emissions ready complete. If you are 2000-2010, you are allowed check engine lights that are not related to emissions, 2010 and up, no engine lights allowed. I’m still trying to sort out my car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Smog dude told me he would pass the visual for the intake but he said that his computer might demand a “static test”. This is where he has to hold the car at a certain RPM and if it detects improper voltage at the 02 it knows the sensor may have a defeat device like a spacer. This test may or may not send me to the ref.. Im opting to swap the stock downpipe for a few hours and avoid this potentially time consuming punishment.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
It's pretty much up to the technician's discretion. Other than that, try to make things inconspicuous (refer to the few things mentioned above) and have a cat! I've read in the past that cars pushing stage 2/3 levels of powers were able to pass smog with E85. I have no experience with it, but food for thought.
E85 would make no difference. They do not do sniff tests anymore. I’m angling hard to figure what I will do for my smog early next year. I do not get 6 year exemption because I bought my car in Nevada to save several thousand.

The other potential crater in California is that you could randomly draw the “STAR” smog requirement.

I’m hoping I can find someone who will give me a “Bro” smog. I will never buy a new car out of state again, for several reasons.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
So they don't actually test the vehicle's emissions anymore? That's sad, and clearly the people in charge have next to zero understanding of cars.
Seems like California has been changing testing parameters quite a bit over the last 10 years. For many years, they did a sniff at idle and a fixed mid RPM and took readings. They would do a visual check and if the system had an EGR, they would test functionality to make sure the diaphragm was still good.

Then, they decided that they should sniff the pipe while it’s under a a load. So they made all the smog stations purchase dyno’s. This was a bit of a disaster because people were opening smog only stations and getting certified with no real automobile knowledge. You had people putting FWD cars on the rears wheels and vice versa. Then, to true disaster, they did not spec AWD dynos so some people’s drivetrains were damaged.

Now, they do a visual inspection (there is a 50 something page manual on how to do this), but there is no standardization. Depends how anal or lazy the tech is. Then they plug into OBD II and verify there are no emissions related trouble codes. There is some speculation that they can detect a non standard calibration, but I highly doubt that. As soon as they do, I’m sure someone will figure out how to install the necessary code that makes it look like factory settings.

Then, there is a lottery where a small percentage of people draw the “Star” smog inspection. For this, you have to go to a smog station that is star certified and apparently, it is a much thorough visual inspection against factory emissions components.

In my opinion, you should gain exemption if you can prove (with equipment and receipts) that you run E85 for some minimum gallons per year vs mileage on your car.

California law makers threw logic and reason in the trash around the time I was born.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts