IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my STI to the drag strip tonight just to see what it would do in the 8th and it ran a 9.1 at 76mph and it's 82 degrees outside when i was running, but it would bog down even when droping it between 6 and 7000 rpm's. But my question is, iam I doing somthing wrong the reason its bogging down, tell me what yall think i can do to help and is 9.1 an ok time??

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
9.1? That seems kinda highto me (although I havent witnessed or driven the strip yet). A friend mechanic who goes down there a lot said hes seen one do 7.65 or so... dont know how close to real that is, but holy crap, I just broke in my car (1050 miles+ now) and this thing can fly. I've never had my friends shake after driving around for a while, nor smoke suped up v8 GT mustangs (which might notbe a huge victory for some, but this is alabama, EVERYONE has a GT). So now I have a car that beats 90% of the cars down here ;). Enjoy your new ride and let me know how it works out.

Robert~

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are bogging, check the following:

1. If using quick release of the clutch, ensure you are going to WOT just before releasing...synchronize the release of the clutch with the depression of the throttle. Best results I've had are to quickly feather throttle up and down to coincide with peaking the RPM on the 2nd yellow light, and subsequent clutch release with WOT placement.

2. If side stepping the clutch...ummm...my personal preference is "don't".

3. Tire Pressure. Should be at least 38 PSI (stock pressure). I've found best launches are around 38 to 42 PSI, depending on track conditions. Others prefer more wheel spin, and with higher horsepower this should definitly be adjusted.

So far my best is a 13.1 @ 103 in the 1/4 with an 8.3 at 84 in the 1/8 with no mods (unless you consider the exahust disconnected a mod :lol: . Seems to be responding fine during and after the runs.
Good luck!
Scott

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Great deals in Renton, WA

When you say drop, are you actually dropping the clutch? The fastest way to launch the STi is to drag the clutch out a little. It's a little more wear on the clutch, but for sure saves the AWD system and doesn't drop the RPM so bad.

·
Registered
99 Posts
YBnormal07, Do you keep it floored and not let off the gas when shifting. Thats the way to get the fastest times, right? What rpm do you shift at? Does the rev limiter work good? Does it keep full boost when you hit the next gear? When I shift hard I get a big clunk sound from the rear end. Do you?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I dont know why it bogged down... I havn't tried any crazy drops like that yet.

my friend just raced an STi on the freeway...he killed it. (my friend drives a 6speed twin turbo Supra.. 398hp to the wheels)...he was AMAZED though at the STi off the line...He couldn't belive how fast it blasts off. but once they get up to speed the Supra kills it.

Not a single person has even tried tor race me yet...some people look but not one person has even attempted yet...kinda weird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts