IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a down pipe for my STi so I should be pleased with the increase in power it will make along with the Blitz sus intake, but now I would like to hear the engine/exhaust. So here comes the queston. Can I avoid boost creep by installing the dp and just the rear section of a dp back exhaust? I am concidering the rear section Blitz, or just getting the the dp back Blitz and saving the center pipe for future modifications. Does anyone know if this will work?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
That doesnt work.. thats the problem, removing the backpressure (changing the stock catback) is what causes boost creep. Sorry.... changing the muffler to a free-er flowing muffler will cause boost creep. Some are worse then others, but the blitz is pretty free flow, so... *shrug* sorry. You could change everything else though if youwanted. Headers, Downpipe, midpipe and I bet yo ucould get it to roar without boost creep problems. Good luck!

Robert~

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just port your wastegate. Durning your d/p install remove the exhaust snail of the turbo and
take it to a machine shop. Then you will not have to worry about creep.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
You know what's weird... Vishnu is saying on nasioc that his stage 1 for the sti does not have boost creep, even though someone with his kit is saying that they have boost creep. I'm not sure how everyone else with a free-flowing exhaust is getting boost creep and yet he thinks his won't. His kit doesn't modify the turbo so I don't see how that can be.

I'm seriously becoming skeptical of the amount of testing being done on some of these kits being released for this car. So far there's only been one vendor that seems to openly admit you will get boost creep on the stock turbo without wastegate porting and that's Dan of Godspeed. Everyone else either seems to be incompetent, dishonest, or at a minimum, poor at communicating what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i have boost creep with just a down pipe and stock cat-back.I have an hks down pipe, and i am overboosting. I am going to have turbo ported and polished by deadbolt. Hopefully that should cure it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I also have gt spec II headers, sorry forgot to mention.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we'll never understand...

Thanks everyone for your response. Looks like I will have to hold off on hearing that great boxer rumble....for now.

salisbuyv,

What do you think of the gt spec 2 headers? Have you noticed an increase in power?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hopefully something nice is ready by summertime, when I want to get a new exhaust on mine. If porting the wastegate is the logical solution, then why isn't everyone doing it? Is it a big PITA?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
??? Nearly everyone with a catback ends up porting their wastegate... or getting rid of their exhaust. The only reason its a PITA is because you either have to pay $200 for someone to do it, or you have to do it yourself and if you mess up at all... its your turbo at stake. That and not many people enjoy ripping out the turbo.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
KSTi, check out my dyno sheets in the modification area...i did my downpipe and the headers at the same time...so tough to gauge,individually. i've blown the header gaskets once,both on the block and the up-pipe,must be alot of power down there. i went from stock 240 whp...to 267 whp w/ downpipe and headers.I'm not sorry i got them ...good purchase...when engine management comes available i should be ready because of the mods i'm making now should lend to it....we'll see....and they look good too 8)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
and oh yeah 284ft/lbs of tourque keeps me glued to the seat...i like,i like

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Hardened STI mount install

I'd buy the thick gaskets from speedmonkee or somebody (the 5 layer ones) as I know I will. DO NOT want any leaks.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i'm not sure what the cause was, again the car is so new to be moddin....and i really DRIVE the car...not redlinin it but definately gettin on it hard...i think the up-pipe one blew again it's startin to make that noise again...so when i have a chance i'll have to get back to the shop to have it fixed. They were very good about it and took care of it right away. Maybe too much compression? I dunno

·
Registered
144 Posts
He said the hedder not head gasket. I my self went through 2 of them. I believe that I did not have the toeque spec correct the first time Too Tight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts