IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, do many of you out there frequently double-clutch your STi's? I understand that with modern transmissions it isn't necessary, but there is something immensely satisfying about perfectly matching revs on a down shift.

I think it's a lot easier on the transmission as well. I say this because my '91 Legacy Turbo Sedan has 215K miles on the original transmission, and it's still very strong. I would guess that I double-clutch about 80% of the time, mainly out of habit.

How 'bout y'all?

·
Registered
347 Posts
double clutching(or more properly: double de-clutching) hasn't been necessary for many years. when gear boxes didn't have syncros, this technique was needed for smooth(er) downshifts, but all you really need to do now is properly match revs. if you've never driven anything that had a non-syncro box, you can't fully appreciate how good a modern gear box is.

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
yep, i hate to hear the term double clutching...it's old school and amethod used by big rig dirvers and old deisel earth movers...totally niot necessary on todays cars.

just learn how to match revs on downshifts. if find the STi as one of the easiest to do this with...much more so than my S4, which was a pain.

and don't use downshifting to slow the car...use the brakes!

·
Registered
424 Posts
why wouldn't u want to use downshifting to slow the car? just curious, i do it all the time.. are there any long term damages or wears?

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
i've never had a problem but it's better to replace brake pads than tranni components due to the added stress you place on the drive trane over the life of the car.

·
Registered
668 Posts
may be an old technique... but is there anythong WRONG with double clutching? if you can do it, and want to do it, why not?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
filbert said:
may be an old technique... but is there anythong WRONG with double clutching? if you can do it, and want to do it, why not?
absolutely. nothing wrong with doing it. just like there's nothing wrong with locking and unlocking your car with your keys even if you have remote entry. no harm.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm a fan of double clutch downshifting, only for fun. In theory the tranny sees a little more use, but I double clutch downshifted my '94 Integra for 9 years and never had a hint of tranny problems. I agree it's not needed with our double and triple synchros - it's just plain fun!!

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
choonzAWR said:
why wouldn't u want to use downshifting to slow the car? just curious, i do it all the time.. are there any long term damages or wears?
are you talking about downshifting when coming to a stoplight? or when coming to a corner? I don't downshift in the first case but I do in the second...

·
Registered
14 Posts
uhm

Long term damage? Yes, your clutch, and tranny.

think about this, high performance clutch = $400.
brake pads replacement all 4 corners =$190.

you do the math.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Apparently you have not priced the brakes on the STi. The fronts alone will run you close to $190 depending on what kind you buy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Double clutching is not especially useful for engine braking. What it allows you to do is be in the proper gear before a corner so you can power out of it. Furthermore, double clutching bypasses the synchros...you are basically doing what synchros do; match the engine speed to the transmission.

So if you use the synchros less...they last longer! And it's fun. There's not much more rewarding than perfectly matching revs.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I still don't understand why one would double-clutch. Unless I am not understanding it correctly but what is the difference or benefit over just pushing in the clutch, matching the revs with the gas, down shifting, and letting out the clutch??? Seems to me with double-clutching you are adding another, un-needed, time consuming step in. I down shift about 80% of the time I come to a stop and always when coming into a corner and I never double-clutch but always match my revs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts