IW STi Forum banner

161 - 180 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Power feels instant at freeway speeds. There is no sudden rush of turbo power, it feels like a very big engine underneath the hood. Power delivery is smoother with less turbo lag from a stand still. Plenty of midrange torque.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
That's what I don't get. It's probably why my fuel mileage tanked, big time. Very disappointing.
The two replacement O2 sensors I bought for when I jump to stage 2 this weekend are Denso, but m AFR/Wideband sensor is a Bosch. Hopefully I won't have any issues. I'm hoping yours was a fluke sensor. :confused:

Worse thing is, I bought Denso, because eveyone here and my friend mechanics said to buy OEM, otherwise I could have gotten full Bosch for the same price.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I removed the old foam seal around the condenser and radiator and install new ones from home depot. Note to self, redo the foam every radiator drain and flush.

I also proceeded to regap my spark plugs from .6mm to around .7-.75mm as recommended by Bill Knose. My low end power is improved from what I can tell from the butt-dyno. It appears that the EJ25 is happy around that gap (which is within factory specs). I may look into more powerful coil packs when or if I decide to do the bigger turbo. I'm enjoying the flex fuel on the vf48 at the moment.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
The car is now at Infamous Performance in Escondido, CA. It's getting a rebuild done. It may not have been a ringland issue after all. It appears that the timing belt skipped a few teeth and a valve has come into contact with a piston. The bottom end is getting rebuilt with forged pistons.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
1st week without my car. It's tough, especially when it's your daily driver and only car. It's the 1st time I've ever had a catastrophic failure on any car. I had cars down for maintenance or mods, but also at the same time I had another car that was equally as dependable. My old 4AG powered cars may not have been as powerful as my EJ, but you can rev the piss out of them for days. Hopefully with the new pistons and stronger timing belt, I can rev it just as hard.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
The cracked ringland symptoms for my car were oil consumption, slight loss of power, and smoke on boost. I had no smoke coming out of the oil cap. It had been progressively consuming oil for quite some time. It was a matter of time before she went. I'm surprised it lasted 80k miles.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Going forged CP bottom end with 9.0:1 pistons. I'll be using a new oem short block. The supporting parts will include the killer b motorsport oil pick up and windage tray, Fluidampr, and JE head gaskets.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
This stuff is getting expensive, but I think it will be worth it. It'll be like a new car again, but quicker. Just took the plunge for a Southbend Stage 2 daily driver clutch and Fluidampr.

161 - 180 of 409 Posts