IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I decided on buying a TD06H 60-1 8cm turbo from Steamspeed's group buy. It will have a billet compressor wheel and a ported turbine housing. Hopefully I didn't make a bad choice.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I got in contact with Steamspeed after they had attempted to contact me about my order. It's a good thing I PM'd Steamspeed through NASIOC. They offered me something they had on the shelf ready to go. I don't know much about turbochargers other than the simple small turbos spool fast but lacks top end power and vice versa. So no Kinugawa, but it's a go with their STX76+. It looks like people are liking the Steamspeed turbos.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I installed the 1150cc injectors I had purchased from Synapse Engineering. The idle is smooth and revs freely. I had my tuner scale the injectors and a quick road tune just to get it running decently before my dyno tune. Another tune will follow when I get the turbo.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
I tried mocking up my supporting parts by installing the Perrin Performance 3in turbo inlet and big tube uppipe. Looks like I will need to stretch out the inlet prior to install. I needed to bend a water line to have a stud from the uppipe to clear. The uppipe outlet is pretty big, but the turbo exhaust inlet is slightly bigger. The only uppipe I've researched that is bigger and probably be a better match would be the gtspec uppipe. They have the biggest piping of them all.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I tried mocking up my supporting parts by installing the Perrin Performance 3in turbo inlet and big tube uppipe. Loks like I will need to stretch out the inlet prior to install. I needed to bend a water line to have a stud from the uppipe to clear. The uppipe outlet is pretty big, but the turbo exhaust inlet us slightly bigger. The only uppipe I've researched that is bigger and probably be a better match would be the gtspec uppipe. They have the biggest piping of them all.
Don't forget that the GT Spec uppipe is a 3 bolts vs 2 bolts for most other manufacturers.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
So the GTSPEC uppipe is on backorder and don't know when they will be back on the shelves. I'll be sticking with the Perrin Performance big tube. I realized I got a bunch of Perrin stuff ready to be installed for my turbo swap.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
After trying to figure out why my a/f learning have gone from 0 to 13%, I saw that my air box had shifted up and exposed the inner part of the air box bypassing the filter a bit. The AFE filter, while it is well built, the rubber edge that forms the seal is too small for my stock air box and Syms Racing Air induction box combo. I switched it with an extra AEM panel filter which has a bigger & better rubber seal. I drove around this morning and the filter is sealing better.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I decided to put back my Grimmspeed AOS and use it as another crankcase vent. The car is a lot more responsive and it feels like it freed up some restriction in the crankcase. I will use it in conjunction with my IAG AOS. I got the idea from Ixiz Concepts CCvent, which unfortunately he no longer produces. I took an 8AN plug to block one of the side ports on the Grimmspeed AOS and used the remaining ports in line with the drivers side PCV vent on the cylinder head.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
After struggling all morning trying to install the IAG AOS, I've decided to say screw it and remove this PITA piece of junk. Every made in the USA stuff I've bought never fit right from some of the Grimm speed stuff, IAG, and even my Corsa cat back with it's crooked exhaust tips. I've never had that problem with any Japanese products. They have been OEM like fitment or better. IAG AOS, you are getting removed!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Trying to have both IAG and GS AOSes is pointless.

Remove the GS AOS and give IAG a call if you have any problem.

IAG AOS is perfectly sized when you handle it properly (that's what she said).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
It would not been so bad if I went rotated or front mount. I'm still stock location turbo and top mount. I could not get the intercooler on and the hoses are an eyesore. I'd rather change injectors and spark plugs twice than install this thing. The IAG AOS is not going back in the car. I'm looking to the Japanese on how they take care of blow by.

·
Registered
806 Posts
It would not been so bad if I went rotated or front mount. I'm still stock location turbo and top mount. I could not get the intercooler on and the hoses are an eyesore. I'd rather change injectors and spark plugs twice than install this thing. The IAG AOS is not going back in the car. I'm looking to the Japanese on how they take care of blow by.
Function/efficacy over form... Ohh wait.

You're going against the flow there my friend :confused:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I always go against the flow and I usually find a way. I will find a function and form. It's the Japanese way and I'm not Japanese. I grew up with the Japanese car culture since I was a kid. Everything I saw under the hood back in Japan was a work of art. Fit and finish, attention to detail. Also the stuff worked as advertised. You can also see with the naked eye the automobile manufacturing tolerances between the Japanese and the rest of the world. They may be bland but it's hard to beat the Japanese in precision.

101 - 120 of 409 Posts