IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
After going through 2 tanks of gas, I did notice a slight improvement in MPG. With the last engine oil Red line 5w30 and old map, I could avg at best 19MPG, but normally get 17-18. Now even with running thicker 5w40 and zero load comps, I avg 21-22 according to the MPG meter.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I have adjusted the shocks stiffer than before. The ride prior to changing the endlinks felt stiff on little rough road surfaces, yet bouncey/floaty on big road humps. With the current setting with shorter endlinks and stiffer shock settings, the small bumps are well absorbed and the large road humps are firm and controlled. The ride feels sporty and compliant as opposed to just stiff and bouncy.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I have adjusted the shocks stiffer than before. The ride prior to changing the endlinks felt stiff on little rough road surfaces, yet bouncey/floaty on big road humps. With the current setting with shorter endlinks and stiffer shock settings, the small bumps are well absorbed and the large road humps are firm and controlled. The ride feels sporty and compliant as opposed to just stiff and bouncy.
Great feedback. This might just be what's missing on my setup as well. I've been really happy with my most recent setup. I was able to finally adjust sways to allow full use of my dampening all the way to soft without the bouncing, but I still feel something is overpowering my coilovers on large road humps/dips. I may have to consider swapping to shorter endlinks. It's hard to tell right now as the coils are abnormally stiff due to the cold weather, but another month, and I should be able to determine how it feels.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I ordered the shifter bushing kit from Prothane. I've had excellent results using Prothane on past projects. $23 for shifter bushings and rear shifter bushings is really cheap.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I'm experimenting with the idea of roughing the surface of the oil dipstick end to get more consistent dipstick readings. I figure Toyota did it for my beloved 85 Corolla, it should work well for my Subaru.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I don't know why it took me so long to get a roll center kit for my Subaru. It's one of the first suspension upgrade I've done for my old AE86 projects in the past. Same thing with the brake lines, too. Cygnus Performance delivers once again, but this time I received it oh so fast. I've tried many places and I find myself coming back to Cygnus. I may need to stop wandering around and make them the "go to" place. Check out the goodies!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I don't know why it took me so long to get a roll center kit for my Subaru. It's one of the first suspension upgrade I've done for my old AE86 projects in the past. Same thing with the brake lines, too. Cygnus Performance delivers once again, but this time I received it oh so fast. I've tried many places and I find myself coming back to Cygnus. I may need to stop wandering around and make them the "go to" place. Check out the goodies!

Image Link
You won't regret it!

I just got mine installed, and got an alignment today. Wow, does it ever feel good now. No more twitching! It allows for the 2015 steering rack retrofit to shine ever more. Tech who test drove the car after the alignment said my steering was extremely tight now. He loved it. :tup: :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You won't regret it!

I just got mine installed, and got an alignment today. Wow, does it ever feel good now. No more twitching! It allows for the 2015 steering rack retrofit to shine ever more. Tech who test drove the car after the alignment said my steering was extremely tight now. He loved it. :tup: :)
Yeah dude, I had the RCA installed along with the '15 rack... whole new car. Almost eliminated that annoying bumpsteer/twitch you get in corners.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I removed the moddiction shifter extension. It shifted easier, but getting in reverse was getting a little annoying. I did install the Superpro roll center kit. I noticed less bumpsteer, less nosedive, less body roll. I do need to get an alignment, though. I did notice that the front tires are now toeing out. The steering wheel has less tendency to auto center and steering feels too light. Plus the front wheels squeak a little more when I make my normal turns. It feels twitchy.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
The twitchy, unstable feeling was bothering me so I went ahead and temporarily adjusted the steering rod ends. Feels really stable now. I didn't realize how sensitive the car is to toe adjustments.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I drove my car to work this morning. It took the bumps I normally run over very well. The steering wheel stayed in place while removing the rest of the choppiness from the suspension. The curves I normally take has more grip in the front end and removed the rest of the body roll. A great mod if you are lowering the car.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
I stopped by Synapse Engineering today just to say, "hi" and to see how everyone is doing. It ended up being that and then a discussion about my car, then it ended up roughing out the edges on my tweaks to the old v1.02 Cobb stage 2. It feels more smooth and more low end torque and power up to redline. They want to tune it with the new injectors I had bought from them a couple of months ago. I do want them to tune it but also at the same time I want to get the bigger turbo installed, which I still need to buy. I'm glad they had become a Cobb Pro tuner which I have been waiting for awhile. I no longer feel the need to drive up Oceanside and above to get a protune. I'd rather support the local tuner in San Diego.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I stopped by the the base auto hobby shop again to install the Prothane shifter bushing kit. It was easy to remove the soft old bushings, but installing the hard polyurethane one were hard to install, especially the rear bushing. Shifting is easier, still pretty quiet like stock, but you can now hear the transmission whine. It reminds me of old Japanese cars I grew up with. I also went ahead to realign my corsa exhaust. I also noticed after the adjustments to the old cobb map, the car is a lot more quieter.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I like after just slight tweaks to the old cobb stage 2 v102, power comes on sooner and I get better gas mileage. Now to decide if I want the GTX3071R or the GTX3067R.

61 - 80 of 409 Posts