IW STi Forum banner

301 - 320 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Right now, my set up is just right. Spool up is instantaneous with E85, 9.0:1 forged pistons, Killer B 2 bolt + Perrin Performance Big Tube uppipe. Slight lag with 91. I'm glad I went with the Tomei M8265. If I were to do it again, I would have gone straight to the Killer B with the v banded up pipe. This header goes well with the spool characteristics of the M8265. Very strong midrange and top end power.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you go with the big-tube up pipe as opposed to the "regular" only due to the aftermarket turbo? What were your impressions with the build quality prior to install and what are your thoughts so far?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Did you go with the big-tube up pipe as opposed to the "regular" only due to the aftermarket turbo? What were your impressions with the build quality prior to install and what are your thoughts so far?
I went with the big tube to match the pipe size of the manifold collector and turbine inlet. The welds are nice and the flanges are thick. It was a tight fit as it does not have a flex pipe, so every bolt and nut had to be installed loosely, lined up, and then tightened down. I did see quicker spool and improved response from the engine and turbo. It felt laggy and had less response on the grimmspeed before it fell apart. The grimmspeed uppipe was a great match with the grimmspeed ported exhaust manifold when I had that set up years ago with the stock VF48.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
I had oscillating cold start idle. I replaced the plastic tee next to the turbo inlet and it fixed it. Now my fuel correction has gone more negative, as low as -17%. Vacuum/boost leak problems on this car is crazy, even though there are not many vacuum hoses on the engine. I used a brass tee from Nitrous Express.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Perhaps my MAF is going bad. My MAF g/s sits normally around a little over 3, it has doubled. The car died in the middle of traffic and the MAF g/s jumped up to over 10 at idle. I popped the hood open and wiggled the wire harness, it started to run normal. I pull over to the next street over and reset the ecu. Now, instead of pulling fuel from -15% at temp, it now adds fuel up to 10% at temp. Power is back but I am trying to set up an appointment to see if the tune is good for the new up pipe I had replaced.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Thermal Zero is alright in my book. They are replacing my downpipe blanket. I guess my power level melted the velcro straps.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Had another boost leak after reinstalling my downpipe blanket. My boost connect fittings started to leak. I guess the low temp ones are not cutting it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #319

After having problems with a falling homelink mirror and the permatex rear view mirror glue kit reacting with the glass, I now have a new windshield. The OEM rear view mirror is installed and I am waiting on my prova lens to come in. Going all yellow. Now I have to get the front window tinted again. The clear ceramic film helped with keeping the car cooler than usual last summer.

301 - 320 of 409 Posts