IW STi Forum banner

241 - 260 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
My powersteering pump has been making a lot of noise for almost a year and it got worse. I decided to change out the o-ring on the pump. It only made noise when it was cold. So far I've noticed there is less load on the engine, the engine runs cooler, and my fuel trims are more in line of where they are supposed to be. Now to check if the noise goes away tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My powersteering pump has been making a lot of noise for almost a year and it got worse. I decided to change out the o-ring on the pump. It only made noise when it was cold. So far I've noticed there is less load on the engine, the engine runs cooler, and my fuel trims are more in line of where they are supposed to be. Now to check if the noise goes away tomorrow morning.
Since you have an 08, just a small tidbit in case the sound is still there. My friend had the whine on his as well. He did the o-ring and nothing changed. It ends up it was the belt that was getting old and stretched out a little. He said it's been running like new since the belt swap.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Since you have an 08, just a small tidbit in case the sound is still there. My friend had the whine on his as well. He did the o-ring and nothing changed. It ends up it was the belt that was getting old and stretched out a little. He said it's been running like new since the belt swap.
It's not the belt. It was replaced during the engine rebuild. It makes sense, though. I had a static leak at the pump and the o-ring was hard allowing air to get in the system. It still makes noise, but not as loud and in shorter duration. The pump may also be on it's way out. I'm going to continue troubleshooting it and see if the air will eventually purge out. The powersteering fluid still has bubbles in the reservoir.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
It's not the belt. It was replaced during the engine rebuild. It makes sense, though. I had a static leak at the pump and the o-ring was hard allowing air to get in the system. It still makes noise, but not as loud and in shorter duration. The pump may also be on it's way out. I'm going to continue troubleshooting it and see if the air will eventually purge out. The powersteering fluid still has bubbles in the reservoir.
Powersteering whine eliminated. No more cold start whine.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
After trying something different with Thermotec header wrap, I won't use it again. They fell apart in less than 4 months. I'll use Heatshield Products again.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Image Link

I installed this windshield banner I had sitting around. It was a pain to install.
Looks good!

Ya, they aren't easy to do, lol. I installed mine while standing through the sunroof and my wife was holding the other half and removing the backing as I moved towards her. Fun times.

I cringe verytime I hear someone say "oh wrapping a car is super easy, you just do it in panel sections. I'll order the vinyl and just do it in my garage".

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Looks good!

Ya, they aren't easy to do, lol. I installed mine while standing through the sunroof and my wife was holding the other half and removing the backing as I moved towards her. Fun times.

I cringe verytime I hear someone say "oh wrapping a car is super easy, you just do it in panel sections. I'll order the vinyl and just do it in my garage".
Thanks! I couldn't do window tint to save my life. I'll save my frustrations on wrapping a car to someone who does it all the time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
I swapped out my Radium Engineering fuel damper with another one, but his one is rated for higher fuel pressure. My tuner upped the fuel pressure beyond the specs of the old damper. It runs more smoother now.

241 - 260 of 409 Posts