Registered
75 Posts

STi > all stock vets

i like reading forums like that, good stuff

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Z06 still does average about .4 better in quarter tests.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Everytime....someone has to bring out the "if we spent 50k" comment.....

:roll:

I don't care what you spend on any car, each of the supercars is exactly what it is....a supercar. No Impreza will feel like a Z06, or a 911 GT2...you name it.

Enjoy our car for what it is...an amazing car. But don't go discounting the supercars of the world. They have their status for a reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a car fan, I like performance so I like the STI, I also like Porsche, BMW, Vette, Skyline, EVO etc.

I pre-ordered a GTO yesturday, and will be picking up an STI next year after I have seen the engine proof itself and the kinks come out (if any). Or perhaps a used WRX and mod the hell outta it.

It is a great time to be a car enthusiast.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CloNeGTS said:
Everytime....someone has to bring out the "if we spent 50k" comment.....

:roll:

I don't care what you spend on any car, each of the supercars is exactly what it is....a supercar. No Impreza will feel like a Z06, or a 911 GT2...you name it.

Enjoy our car for what it is...an amazing car. But don't go discounting the supercars of the world. They have their status for a reason.
As quoted in magazines that test the STI "Supercar performance at a bargin price"

An Sti wont feel like a Vette? You comment can easily be said for a 911 or a ferrari but a Vette? Why not? Have you been in one? Our interiour is nicer and the Sti out preforms a C5 vette on the track, AutoX and drag strip. The interiour is typical GM crap. The Vette drives horribly, my brother in law takes the 84-91 models, puts C5 body kists on them and sells them. Hes doent his to probably 10 now. They drive like peices.

As another magazine said.. the Sti is the Anti-Vette in many many ways.

I think your discounting the Sti's perfomance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
y2ks2k said:
Our interiour is nicer and the Sti out preforms a C5 vette on the track, AutoX and drag strip.
I can't comment on the interior, but I certainly can take exception to the idea that the STi unquestionably outperforms a C5 in autocross. Let's look at car classification. The STi and Evo VIII are classed in AS. A C5 (97+) Corvette is classed in SS, and the C4 (84-96) is in AS. How about results? SS 2002 nationals results. The 2001 C5 Corvette is dominating, with the first non-Corvette being an E46 M3 in 29th place. There is no chance at all that the STi outperforms this car in Autox, unless it is pouring down rain. Looking at the AS 2002 nationals results we see that the C4 Corvette is dominating just as much -- the only non-Corvette entered got 21st place. I've seen an M-coupe on the course, and they go really fast -- it was no match for the Corvettes.

By the way, Ann Hollis (driver and wife of Andy Hollis) took my STi out for a number of runs after an Evolution school. She said it is leaps and bounds better than the WRX, and actually fun to drive (let us say her opinion of the WRX was not high). But she also said that whomever put it in AS is nuts. According to her test drive, the C4 Corvettes will eat it alive. Admittedly my car was bone stock with street tires, but I suspect she took this into account (street tires are not something you can miss). We can't change the rear swaybar in stock, nor can we put the lowering springs in, nor the new lateral links, nor camber plates. All of those reasons are why I'm going to ESP (I suspect the lateral links are still not allowed, and I'm going for full coilovers instead of just the lowering springs).

Look, I dislike Corvettes as much as the next guy. I own an STi, and if I had $50k to spend on a car I wouldn't buy a Z06. But I at least can acknowledge that unlike almost all the other muscle cars, they really can perform. I might agree on the drag strip (though I wouldn't bet anything on it -- of course any given STi is more likely to be modified than a given Corvette). On the track I would expect a C5 Corvette to be faster, but I can't back that up, and I could be wrong. A lot of track speed depends on the driver and both cars are able to deliver a lot of performance.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hmm. I just gotta say that talk is cheap -- at least cheaper than cars. I love my STi. I would also like to have a Vette or Viper. In fact, I was shopping for a used Vette (one about $30K) when I first heard of the STi. I wanted a high performance car within my price range, and I found that in the STi. What I got in addition to what I would have had with the Vette was a warranty, all-season drivability, lower insurance, and unique vehicle (I see C5's all day long, but have yet to see another STi on the road). I am aware that the cars cannot generally be compared side-by-side, and I don't care.

For the record, my two favorite racing series are currently ALMS and WRC. I got my WRC car, and maybe I will have my LeMans car someday. :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
lol wonderful quote "But the drag strip is a more proper measurement of a vehicles power, not the 1/8 of a mile." ... *sigh* what are people thinking

Robert~

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
STi BBS wheels/tires...

Yes....I have been in Vette's...many of them. I haven't had the pleasure of being in a Z06 yet, but if it is what they say it is.....there is no comparison. If you say that our car can feel like a Vette....I rest my case because you don't know of what you speak. Go to an autox sometime, and find the seasoned drivers who have Corvettes. A new model Corvette, in the hands of a real driver, is an amazing car. Bottom line.

Compare our interior to the Corvettes? Wow...that's like picking which is faster, a Focus or a Sentra.....a winner from the bottom of the barrel. Our interior is nice for a compact car, but it is not supercar interior. The Corvette's interior is not up to snuff with the other supercars, but it is put together nicely.

Don't get me wrong...I love my car. I waited around for 8 months for it....it's love, trust me. BUT....our car is not the world's greatest. Enjoy what you have, use it....but don't hold your chin up too high thinking your the ish. There are better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I beat a 2002 C5 Vette on the highway. It was an automatic thou. We went from about 50-110 and I was ahead by about 1 car length. Now my girlfriend's father has a 2001 Z06. I haven't tested the STi against that yet, but I'm sure I'll get beat pretty good. I'll post up results when I do.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Yes....I have been in Vette's...many of them. I haven't had the pleasure of being in a Z06 yet, but if it is what they say it is.....there is no comparison. If you say that our car can feel like a Vette....I rest my case because you don't know of what you speak. Go to an autox sometime, and find the seasoned drivers who have Corvettes. A new model Corvette, in the hands of a real driver, is an amazing car. Bottom line.

Compare our interior to the Corvettes? Wow...that's like picking which is faster, a Focus or a Sentra.....a winner from the bottom of the barrel. Our interior is nice for a compact car, but it is not supercar interior. The Corvette's interior is not up to snuff with the other supercars, but it is put together nicely.

Don't get me wrong...I love my car. I waited around for 8 months for it....it's love, trust me. BUT....our car is not the world's greatest. Enjoy what you have, use it....but don't hold your chin up too high thinking your the ish. There are better.
Well said, many Supra owners have this very problem because they can pull 1000hp on the stock motor and then think they are God. I love the STI but there is no way I can say it'll waste or be 100x better then a corvette... ESPECIALLY a z06. Who cares about interior? When it comes to sport cars hopefully you dont let the interior be your main decision. I'd hate to have the STI get in the Supra's shadow when it comes to being the best of the best (or snobby). I've seen numerous 800hp Supras not even acknowledge other people just because they dont have a really fast Supra/Car. Its retarded and idiotic. Gives people like us who drive simple NA supras bad names because everyone thinks Im goin to be an ### just because I drive one. Just remember... there is ALWAYS a faster car/better car out there, so dont act like yours is the God's gift and just enjoy it for what it is, otherwise you'll never be happy with what you have.

Robert~

Sorry and I dont mean to come off as a jerk, but I'd hate to be in the position I am with my Supra I had. No one would talk to me because they thought I'd just chew em out for not having a super rediculously fast car and such and it was annoying and boring. O well Im done ranting now ;)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Hey, don't group all Supra owner's into that crowd. I would have talked to you. :D I am a car guy through and through. It doesn't matter to me what you drive as long as you like it and take care of it. I have seen this same attitude with all car types out there. I can appreciate all cars for what they are. Personally I don't see how you can compare a STi to any vette. Yeah a Z06 is fast but the STi is AWD with a back seat and usable trunk, it just depends on what you are looking for. Maybe performance wise you can compare them but they are both built for different things. BTW, you should have seen some of the attitude I used to get back in the day with my old Supra, before anyone knew anything about them.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Ya I understand and Im not putting all Supra owners in that group, but just from supraforums.com alone you can see the attitude and the "persona" they've developed. Most are good, but the trolls screw it up, but I guess its like that in every car group (like ya said). I could imagine with the old supe. I get called rice by stang owners all day long in my STI and they dont even know what it is. Then I show em how its done and we become friends (usually, unless the owner is really arrogant or ignorant). Generally you show respect and you get it back, but theres always that special case that ruins it for everyone. It is kinda funny though watching some of the arrogant Supra owners with 800hp run 13 second 1/4 miles lol. They have the power, ego, just no skill, so I guess they get what they deserve ;). - Not to bash Supras as they are my favorite car -

Robert~

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MKIVSupra said:
Hey, don't group all Supra owner's into that crowd. I would have talked to you. :D I am a car guy through and through. It doesn't matter to me what you drive as long as you like it and take care of it. I have seen this same attitude with all car types out there. I can appreciate all cars for what they are. Personally I don't see how you can compare a STi to any vette. Yeah a Z06 is fast but the STi is AWD with a back seat and usable trunk, it just depends on what you are looking for. Maybe performance wise you can compare them but they are both built for different things. BTW, you should have seen some of the attitude I used to get back in the day with my old Supra, before anyone knew anything about them.
Well, on this same note, Supras are uuslly the car the somestics pick on at the C&D forum. Teh Vette owners are always dumping on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Every car group thinks theirs is best. That is what makes competition so much fun. :) Still there are always the guys who let their egos get in the way. SO sad for them. :cry:

I can appreciate every car for what it is. I haven't driven a vette but have driven a viper. It's a hell of a lot of power but it drives like a bigger car. Still I hope to own one someday. My Sti drives like a compact car on steroids. That's what makes it such a blast to drive on a daily basis.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just want to be like Jay Leno: work just a couple hours a day, where work is just sitting around talking and cracking jokes, and then spend more money than most other people will ever dream about on cars, cars, and more cars.

Trash talking others' cars is simply an expression of jealosy. I can admit that I want at least one of almost everything. Just give me a chance to appreciate the unique qualities of every car...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts