IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that with the fan setting in the off position and the a/c off, I still get either cold or warm air from the vents depending on what the temperature knob is set at relative to the current temp. Is this normal? I would think that with the fan setting in the off position, it should shut off all temperature control? Thx.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Turn your recycle button on(the one with the cirlcular arrow), you have it set to fresh air so it draws it in from the outside.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What he said.

This has happened on every car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that the cool air is coming from the outside, if I have the recycle button, but why is there warm air when I turn the temperature up with the fan turned off?

·
Registered
347 Posts
ok, you are either having air blown by the fan, or, it's just coming in through the vent system. the air doesn't know what's pushing it. if you have the temp dial set to warm, the air is coming through the heater whether the fan is pushing it or not. why wouldn't it be hot if you have the dial turned to "warm/hot"?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here it is in a nutshell. When you turn the fan off, the AC off, everything off, the entire system doesn't just seal up airtight. With the recycle button set to on the system does just that, it recirculates air from inside. When its not on, the car takes air from either the heater area (which is near the engine, and hot) or the non-engine fresh air area (ie in summer its not pulling fresh air from the heater area).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the responses everyone. so the only climate settings that would hurt performance is if I have the a/c or fan (to a smaller degree) on?

·
Registered
668 Posts
yeah, fan is negligible. you'll lose more power driving with the windows open than running the fan alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts