IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering for people who had the OEM 19s and later went to 18s with 245/40, was there a noticeable increase in ride comfort over less than perfect roads?

I'm finding the stock susp for some reason super stiff on this new 19' STI. I don't remember it being so stiff on the test drive. It was firm but had some compliance. I'm not sure if it 'loosens up' over time? I figure going to 18s with more sidewall could be good in the mean time, but not sure how much of a difference it makes.

Appreciate any replies!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have talked to Subiespeed about going to an 18 inch rim and unless they get the ok from the manufacturer,Enkei,it's every man for himself!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I own a 2018 and switching from the stock 19'' wheels to aftermarket 18'' wheels wrapped in 245/40r18 tires made a huge difference in comfort. I noticed that prior to the switch to 18'' wheels, I would clench my teeth whenever I would go over a speed bump or hit a minor pot hole. Now with the 18'' wheels installed, I no longer have to anticipate the stiffness that I got with the 19'' wheels. A prime example would be going over railroad tracks. With the 18's, I can breeze through them without having too much discomfort unlike with the 19's where I would have to slow down significantly and soak the stiffness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own a 2018 and switching from the stock 19'' wheels to aftermarket 18'' wheels wrapped in 245/40r18 tires made a huge difference in comfort. I noticed that prior to the switch to 18'' wheels, I would clench my teeth whenever I would go over a speed bump or hit a minor pot hole. Now with the 18'' wheels installed, I no longer have to anticipate the stiffness that I got with the 19'' wheels. A prime example would be going over railroad tracks. With the 18's, I can breeze through them without having too much discomfort unlike with the 19's where I would have to slow down significantly and soak the stiffness.

Thank you for your experience and insight. This is very helpful info. This will likely be the next thing I do ...

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I use 18" rims on my RA for the winter. Big comfort difference indeed. I also use Michelin AS3+ all seasons which help as well. Little more flex in the all season sidewalls

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Poster to a different thread -got booted, had to sign in again, and post in the wrong thread!

I also use Michelin AS3+ all seasons which help as well. Little more flex in the all season sidewalls
While I'm here I'll say that it is not a given that all season tires are softer than summers. My MPSS are much softer and ride nicer than the Potenza RE970 ? or 980 I used to run in the winter. Actually in terms of "tracking", the MPSS sidewalls are kind of poor. Don't think I'll be running another set.

Added: adding detail, MPSS have more grip than any As tires I've run, but their mushy sidewalls reduce road feel, and in turns, are far from confidence inspiring - even on the street.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Poster to a different thread -got booted, had to sign in again, and post in the wrong thread!

While I'm here I'll say that it is not a given that all season tires are softer than summers. My MPSS are much softer and ride nicer than the Potenza RE970 ? or 980 I used to run in the winter. Actually in terms of "tracking", the MPSS sidewalls are kind of poor. Don't think I'll be running another set.
The PS4Ss also have a soft side wall but they seem to do alright on the track. Haven't run any R comps on my STI yet though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreiate the replies!! I am planning to find a nice set of 08-14 STI BBS and then fit PS4, so the info given is especially helpful.

·
Registered
129 Posts
With this in mind,I should be able to raise my 2019 with my Quickjack,remove the stock wheels,and,install a set of Enkei,18x9.5+35mm with/Michelin245/40R18Y Pilot Sport 3 tires on the STI,put the car in neutral,and spin the wheels.If nothing hits the Brembos then I should be good to go?Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
With this in mind,I should be able to raise my 2019 with my Quickjack,remove the stock wheels,and,install a set of Enkei,18x9.5+35mm with/Michelin245/40R18Y Pilot Sport 3 tires on the STI,put the car in neutral,and spin the wheels.If nothing hits the Brembos then I should be good to go?Thanks
Yeah you should be good to go. Most wheels in 18x9.5 +35 clear the '18+ STi's brembos. I went with 18x9 +35 size wheels just for the sake of saving money. (My 18x9 +35 wheels are Motegi traklites and they clear the '18+ STi's brakes wonderfully) You should consider getting some hub centric rings if your wheels aren't hub centric.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts