IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - do you guys know about the Kartboy tranny crossmember bushings? They haven't been out for long, and I don't see you talking about them much so I thought I'd throw this up here.

Here's the discription from our site:
New from Kartboy!! These tranny crossmember bushings replace the stock soft bushings in your tranny subframe assembly. Stiff without being too stiff they are a great improvement over the stock items. If you have an upgraded tranny mount then this is your next "must do" mod.

Here's the review I posted on these on NASIOC:

I've been running a test set of these for Tom for a couple of months now. I like them. When I heel and toe or just blip the throttle to downshift I put my hand out to gently rest it on the knob at the same time as the pedal motion in anticipation of downshift. Used to be that there was a little bit of motion from the stick and my hand would land a little off center. I would have to adjust before starting the stick work. These little bushings keep the tranny from deflecting so much, and I don't have to make such large adjustments to catch the knob in that "just right" feeling. In other words, they get a thumbs up from me. BTW, if you have stiffened tranny mounts these stock bushings will be your next point of deflection. If you want to enjoy the full potential that stiffer mounts have to offer then just do these while you're at it.

For instructions from that awesome master of mods, Peaty, click here.

PS. I snagged the pics from Peaty's install. I hope he doesn't get too upset.
Here's that pic I snagged from Peaty:

Here's the direct link to these:
http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?products_id=62

Cost is $30, and shipping in the US is free. Canada guys - talk to Howard at polepositionproducts.com as he's our up north Distributor.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Hell ya I have. That was my first mod along with my short shifter.

The stock ones are softer than jello:lol:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
How do these work in conjunction with the stock motor mounts? Would there be any added wear on them? I've read somewhere that when putting in stiff bushings for the drivetrain its good to them all around so that there isn't a stock bushing taking all the cancelled out vibration, is this true? Thanks

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
twiSTies said:
How do these work in conjunction with the stock motor mounts? Would there be any added wear on them? I've read somewhere that when putting in stiff bushings for the drivetrain its good to them all around so that there isn't a stock bushing taking all the cancelled out vibration, is this true? Thanks
These work fine with the stock motor mounts, and here's why -

If you're running stock motor mounts chances are you're also running the stock tranny mount (the saddle). If that's the case then the stock tranny mount will absorb quite a bit of the flex because it's pretty soft.

Now, if you running upgraded motor and tranny mounts then the next flexpoint will be where these go so you'll want to upgrade. Otherwise some of that stiffness added by the uprated mounts goes away with the squishiness of the stock crossmember bushings.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Turninconcepts.com said:
These work fine with the stock motor mounts, and here's why -

If you're running stock motor mounts chances are you're also running the stock tranny mount (the saddle). If that's the case then the stock tranny mount will absorb quite a bit of the flex because it's pretty soft.

Now, if you running upgraded motor and tranny mounts then the next flexpoint will be where these go so you'll want to upgrade. Otherwise some of that stiffness added by the uprated mounts goes away with the squishiness of the stock crossmember bushings.

Does that make sense?

Yup! Thanks for clearing that up :cool:

Not sure if I want to lock down my drivetrain mounts because this is my daily 99% of the time, but its something for me to consider down the road as the car gets older.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts