IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the sport. I've been to the track twice since April. Some of my friends said it is recommended you not only change the engine oil, but also the transmission and diff. fluid after every track day event.

As far as I concern, I have driven approx 100 miles in total, and I wasn't pushing my car as hard as some of the other expereience drivers, bacause I simply don't have the skills to push it that hard on the track yet.

Please advice!

Thanks
EL

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
laueddy said:
I am new to the sport. I've been to the track twice since April. Some of my friends said it is recommended you not only change the engine oil, but also the transmission and diff. fluid after every track day event.

As far as I concern, I have driven approx 100 miles in total, and I wasn't pushing my car as hard as some of the other expereience drivers, bacause I simply don't have the skills to push it that hard on the track yet.

Please advice!

Thanks
EL

oil, ok i can see changing that after every track event. As for Tranny and diff? No way would i change those after every event, that would get really expensive and time consuming. While the heat and stress on those parts is increased a lot when tracking your car i have never heard of someone changing the drivetrain fluid on a street car after tracking it. I also have not heard of people breaking stuff because of a fluid problem. Most (amature) racers change that stuff once a season if that.

I have well over a thousand+ track miles on my subaru, and I just change the oil a little sooner after I track. I normally change my oil at like 4500 miles, if i track, i change it at 3K.

One fluid you MUST remember is the brake fluid, I do a full flush about twice a season. I figure $15 and an hour of time is worth the insurance on the track :)

-Spaze

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have around 3,000 track mile on my car and have only ever changed the oil. I change the oil every 2,000 miles during track season. I will probably change the tranny and diff fluids at the end of the season.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
My gearbox and diff fluid have 20k miles, a bunch of autocrosses, and about four track hours on it... and it feels fine. The gearbox shifts good, and the syncros hook like they always have.

I was thinking about changing mine soon since the change interval is ~30k, but I may put it off until early next year.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would recommend changing the oil if you are close to 3000k with synthetic. Right after track day if you are runing regular oil. I change my synthetic oil every 5k but when I go to track events I change it at what ever comes first, 3k or 5k on my "A" trip meter. Why so random?? Well, about every 2000 miles I put a whole quart of new oil, which is twice in 5k interval. So I am almost never runing "dirty" oil. After track days I usually poor a bit more fresh oil.

I know, not really scientific but I just can't imagine spending money on oil changes after EVERY track event. I would be broke.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Before I go to the track I normally do an oil change and give the car a really good once over to make sure everything is in good order. Swap in my Hawk Pads and Falken tires, and do an alignment.

I store my car in the winter (Mazda Miata) and this will be its 2nd winter with me. I plan on changing the tranny and diff fluids every season when I take it out. It sounds like you don't beat up on your car to hard so I don't think it would be bad to just run regular maintance schedule. I think it wouldn't hurt to change the oil alittle sooner then normal if you have been to the track recently but I don't know how much it would help you either.

Thanks for actually using your car!! I have friends in the VW community and pretty much everyone that has a R32 never will do anything with it, not even AutoX. I give them SOOOO much crap for that.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I know what you mean with the R32 guys. I see so many of them on the streets and they just cruise.

However, there is a blue one in the metro detroit area that two really awesome girls drive. They smoke the crap out of that R32 on auto x's and they are pretty good too. Always crack jokes with the car as well. One of them drives an STi too I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts