IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. New poster to the site, although I have been lurking. I have a WRX and am saving to get an STI hopefully a 2005 MDY. Anyway, does anyone know if the WRX or STI has an electronic data recorder. I don't want to get into and accident and get sued because I was going 5MPH over the speed limit.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Haven't heard of such, but who knows these days. I don't know if there are actual records of which manufacturers/vehicles are using the devices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found one website (http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr2.htm) but they just list GM and Izuzu vehicles. I've seen interviews with cops on TV where they say "most" new cars have them. What about one of the dealers I've seen on this site, any info? Is there one, where is it at, and can you disable it?[/url]

·
Registered
347 Posts
Those cops either don't know what they are talking about, are trying to scare you, or both. Very few cars have these, and the ones that do generally cannot be used as evidence in court.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crazytrain said:
Those cops either don't know what they are talking about, are trying to scare you, or both. Very few cars have these, and the ones that do generally cannot be used as evidence in court.
I don't know. It was a show profiling accident recreators in the police. I wish I could remember the name of the show but they showed cops surveying an accident scene, taking the data back and creating a CAD model of the scene. Then they interviewed the cop and he said they use the EDR (which he said most new cars have them) to recreate the scene since they record the last five seconds of info (brakes, speed, etc) before air bags are deployed. It was on ABC or something.
Anyway from the aforementioned web site, there is a LOT of GM cars with EDR's. These things are usually integrated into the airbag sensors. Somewhere it mentioned the manufactures including them to limit litigation due to air bag problems. Also the website mentioned several legal cases where the EDR info was admitted to court evidence producing a conviction. I admit I may being a little paranoid, but I wouldn't be suprised if Suby's had them.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i'd posted a thread about this in off-topic. there's a link to a radio show about it. i found it interesting. if you're concerned about the legal issues, i'd recommend checking it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts