IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a '20 STI that comes with steering responsive headlights (SRH). I've been wanting to get some aftermarket headlights, but I don't want to get rid of the SRH. Subispeed's website mentions there's a sticker to cover up the SRH dash light for one of their products, but I didn't know if that meant the aftermarkets will disable the feature or if the feature still works but the dash light will come stay on.

If aftermarket headlights will disable the feature, has anyone experimented with how to install aftermarkets and keep the SRH feature?

Also if y'all sent your OEM headlights to be customized instead, where did you send them?

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Ya, SRH uses elaborate and expensive motors to control the lights in relation to your steering inputs, far beyond what you get from a typical headlight.
That's not something you are going to find in a 500$ aftermarket set, as most people don't know what that is or want to pay for it.
If someone were to come up with a set that included it, you'd be paying for OEM Subaru headlight motors, as aftermarket units would likely fail or have compatibility issues.
I wouldn't be surprised if that meant 2000-3000$+ a set.
I don't have first hand experience, but maybe try reaching out to these guys: circuitdemon.com
They look like they have good experience customizing headlights in all kinds of ways.
In your particular case, I wouldn't be surprised if you have to send them your lights and have a week of down time while they open yours up and customize them, since they probably don't want to stock SRH units.
Alternatively, if you have a good hand, you could pick up some butyl rubber and black plastic paint and do it yourself in a weekend.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was assuming that was the case. I have some experience with circuits, wiring and coding but I usually stick to plug and play or sending things to other professionals because I never have the time to get into it myself. I'll definitely check out circuitdemon though.

Thanks for the response!

Registered
Ya, SRH uses elaborate and expensive motors to control the lights in relation to your steering inputs, far beyond what you get from a typical headlight.
That's not something you are going to find in a 500$ aftermarket set, as most people don't know what that is or want to pay for it.
If someone were to come up with a set that included it, you'd be paying for OEM Subaru headlight motors, as aftermarket units would likely fail or have compatibility issues.
I wouldn't be surprised if that meant 2000-3000$+ a set.
I don't have first hand experience, but maybe try reaching out to these guys: circuitdemon.com
They look like they have good experience customizing headlights in all kinds of ways.
In your particular case, I wouldn't be surprised if you have to send them your lights and have a week of down time while they open yours up and customize them, since they probably don't want to stock SRH units.
Alternatively, if you have a good hand, you could pick up some butyl rubber and black plastic paint and do it yourself in a weekend.
And, I bet those motors are also tied into the auto leveling system, where there is a sensor connected to the rear driver's side lower control arm to compensate for weight changes towards the back...passenger's and or junk in the trunk...馃お

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
And, I bet those motors are also tied into the auto leveling system, where there is a sensor connected to the rear driver's side lower control arm to compensate for weight changes towards the back...passenger's and or junk in the trunk...馃お
My other car has this! When the little motor got damaged during a coilover install, instead of buying a new arm for the motor or a new motor entirely, I just programmed out the auto-levelling function to turn off the light on the dash :LOL: With all these new LED headlights out on the road now, I'm not terribly concerned with people catching a glimpse of my lowbeams over a bump!

Registered
I helped a friend install a subispeed headlight. The light moved when he turned on the car, it is to level the light i think but no SRH so you will lose it. I wanted to get a aftermarket headlight to but im sticking with my SRH for now i liked it anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I helped a friend install a subispeed headlight. The light moved when he turned on the car, it is to level the light i think but no SRH so you will lose it. I wanted to get a aftermarket headlight to but im sticking with my SRH for now i liked it anyway.
Yeah as much as I would like a new aftermarket design, I value the functionality of the SRH more. I like to hit backroads at night and they were also very clutch during my passes down the Tail of the Dragon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts