IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum (and to the subaru community), but I figured I'd contribute a bit and show what I did earlier in case anyone wants to try this out. I've been looking into some smoke overlays for the GD tail lights, but all I could really find were dark smoke overlays. There was one site that carried light smoke, but it didn't have a picture so I didn't want to purchase it and be dissapointed. I didn't want to settle with the dark smoke either because every picture I've seen with them installed looked off - they are just too dark for my taste.

Since I couldn't purchase light smoke pre-cut, I decided I'd just purchase a roll of light smoke vinyl from ebay for less than $10 and use knifeless tape that I had from another project. I'm not a vinyl professional, but I figured since it's not complex shape that I would be working with that I could get it done pretty easily.

Here are a few pictures before, during, and after I was done. The light smoke is subtle, but I like the way it turned out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decided to show the hi-beams a bit of love with some yellow tint. It was kind of a pain to do and it took a few tries, but the dry method with knifeless tape worked the best. I tried the wet method but I couldn't get it to my liking.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Grille

Registered
Yes, you did a great job. I honestly couldn't have done that. I tried to install LED taillights that I purchased on this site https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/, and nothing came of it except that I messed up all the wiring in the car. Yes, my hands are so crooked, and therefore if something breaks or I need to install something in the car, then I never get into it myself. I'd rather trust the professionals. But you're really good as if you didn't do it yourself, by the way... Although, I think you can, especially since it's clear that you understand this and know how it works.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Since we're talking tint films, here are the wraps I did last summer (before I got lucky on a link for picking up new tails and decided to splurge on new aftermarket heads)
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Photograph Automotive lighting

Light Product Automotive tire Fluid Liquid

Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Automotive tire Car

From my experience on both, I 100% recommend Lamin-x wrap.
I still have their yellow on my foglights still, going on probably 3 years now.
The heads were Vvivid, and started to lift at the edges within 3 days, which is why I said fuckit and replaced them with Circuit Demon headlights (that I paid to have xpel wrapped).
The tails I did lamin-x and they are currently sitting in a storage container but they still look perfect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts