IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piece of cake. Using about $5 worth of supplies I threw together a perfect looking and very functional hood scoop screen.

Here's what you are looking at for supplies.

The screen can be found at Home Depot for about $1.30 a piece. It's aluminum so it will never rust and it's already curved at dang near the same curve as the front of the scoop. The rest of the stuff.....spray paint, little black zip ties, paper to trace out the pattern on, metal snips..that's about it.

Here's what you're looking at under the hood.

The black piece that is down in this pictures comes loose by removing a number of phillips head screws....maybe 9 of them total. Once you drop that down, you see small 8mm nuts to let the scoop loose. You can see all 6 of those here. Get those loose and then squeeze in the 4 black clips to release the scoop. Piece of cake.

Then, from there.....use the paper to get the shape you need (I'd scan it in, but it's larger than 8.5x11), trace it onto the screen, cut the screen, shoot it with the paint and zip tie that sucker in there. Here's how she looks...

I can do a more thorough write up if someone would like, but there really isn't much more than a few screws and nuts to it. Nothing too tough. I'd voluneer to cut the screens and have the kits together for people to buy...but really, just go to Home Depot and pick the stuff up. This is just too easy of a mod NOT to do.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
CloNeGTS,

Thanks for the details. Oh, and by the way, If you're looking for your tv remote, it's under the coffee table :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hehe....too many remotes and not enough furniture. That's actually my TV sitting on that end table until the new furniture gets delivered tomorrow!

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
what's that screen called at home depot? looks like gutter guard...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup....at the top and bottom of the fins. If you get the little black ones, they are just as visible as the fins themselves.....not at all.

It is on there very securely with those 8 zip ties. If it did rattle...you sure wouldn't hear it over the rucus from under the hood!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey so how do you get that first part off? I only saw 5 screws and one plastic looking thing.

I removed the 5 screws and it still was held on really good so I put them back on and gave up...dont want to mess up my new car :), tried to trace a form without taking the scoop off but thats pretty hard.

Could somone somehow scan in a image so I could print it out and cut my screen to fit.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to pull back the insulation that covers the edges of the metal plate. There is one screw on each side.

Just pull it up and see where it's still held down to locate the screws. You can't hurt anything.....it's nothing more than screws!

As I mentioned above, I'd scan the image, but it's too large for a flatbed. It's longer than 11"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I got my scoop taken apart and put the screen in.

Looks kinda ghetto if you ask me, seems way to flimsy first thing that hits that stuff is going to bend and break it.

I did have a problem installing it, one how do you get those plastic things out without breaking them (for the hoodliner)

and also once I took all the screws out from the piece that you drop down..there is that one plastic screw left.. well I took that off and boing..the little back peice that it screws into dropped into my engine somewhere....oh well I dont think that plastic screw did anything other than keep the whole thing from falling when you took the screws out,
but I wonder if that piece is melted someplace in my engine?

I'll put pictures up tomorow

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dunno how it can look ghetto if you cut it to shape and painted it well. You can see the thing unless you're looking for it.

The hood liner push in's....yeah, those kinda look like a one-use item. Mine are still in, but not a snug as before. I'm not going to worry about them though. I'd just ask for a bag of em when at the dealer next time.

Yeah, good install note....don't remove the black plastic screw-in clip last. I took mine out as I came to it going around the piece and didn't run into that problem. Again, I don't think you're hurting anything by not having it there.....there are enough screws to hold that sucker in.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Exhaust ???

CloNeGTS said:
You need to pull back the insulation that covers the edges of the metal plate. There is one screw on each side.
just did the install. i did not pull back the insulation and mess with those one-time fasteners. instead, i located the nut, then just pushed my 8mm socket onto the nut *though* the insulation and removed the nut. this makes a small clean 8mm hole in the insulation. this is much easier than removing those one-time fasteners. given the other nuts not covered by insulation, it is very unlikely those two need to be insulated.

M

·
0 Posts
Also did this mod over the weekend.

A good friend of mine, Steve K, helped out. We decided to use 32k safety wire instead of zip ties. Also, I left it Silver instead of painting black, I feel the results were very good:

anyhow, enjoy, :)

mist

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
You guys zipped tied it on the top and bottom? I only zipped tied it on the bottom, but then again my hoodscoop is shorter. The top part just fit in the groove and it is very secure.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
I just noticed that the STi scoop has one more fin than the regular WRX one. Well, I got it to work on mine with only 3 zip ties at the bottom :)

btw, if anyone wants the rest of the gutterguard, I can sell it to them, but it's not gonna be any cheaper if you bought it yourself :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow, think of it and it will be here, done by someone else already...with pictures and directions even! 8) Thanks!

Since we live down two miles of gravel and do a lot of highway driving, rocks and bugs are a major concern. I really love the way it looks and would probably leave the screen silver on my silver car, just like mistkerl. My biggest question though - do you think that size of screening will block too much air flow? Of course, anything with spacing that is too big would be ineffective and flimsy.

Sue :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: Dealership today...STI...or..RX8?

STilinMR2Sue said:
Wow, think of it and it will be here, done by someone else already...with pictures and directions even! 8) Thanks!
and a template also. ;)

STilinMR2Sue said:
...do you think that size of screening will block too much air flow...
it's a compromise. protection vs sub-optimal air flow. i'm not too concerned with the gutter guard screen that most of use have used. best of luck.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still don't see the air flow concern. Grab a piece and hold it out the window......see all them holes???? ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts