IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
TRM said:
i was bored...very bored. :D
That's pretty ambitious for being bored, I'm very bored right now knowing that I have to be in bed real soon 'cuz I have to to be at work early tomorrow morning. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: so I'm posting smartAfifty-five comments here. :roll:

A few questions:
What material is the the drain plug washer (gasket?) made of?
Does it need to be replaced every time the oil is changed?
How far up on the dipstick does 4.8 quarts of oil fill?
Could it be topped off with the full 5 quarts?
I don't want to have to keep 0.2 quarts of oil around. :-?

A reply at your leisure would be appreciated. :)

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M said:
A few questions:

drain plug washer appears to be steel...probably stamped stainless.

replacement every time? why not?

dipstick. not sure since my driveway isn't level.

i would not recommend overfilling to 5 quarts. keep the extra in the car if/when you need to add between changes.

the owners manual does not state a torque spec for the drain plug.

·
Registered
694 Posts
M said:
A few questions:

1) I believe it's tin, or possibly brass. Bendy, anyway.

2) Does is need to be replaced? Not necessarily. Is it a good idea? Yes. Better yet, get a Fumoto valve http://fumotovalve.com. I have one and I love the thing. No leaks, no wrench, no hassle, no re-torquing.

3) That depends. On mine, sometimes it takes 4.7 quarts, other times it takes 4.8 quarts. Depends on circumstances like how much is still "in circulation", what angle the car is at, etc. Ideally, 4.8 quarts goes right up to the "full" mark.

4) 5 quarts? Could be, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Too much oil is a bad thing - tends to damage seals sometimes, in my experience. Of course, this was all on V8 motors, but I can't imagine that a boxer-4 would be any different. An engine is an engine.

5) I buy oil by the case (12 quarts), so having an oddball oil bottle isn't a problem. 0.2 quarts is close enough to 0.2 liters that it works well to go by the mL marks on the side of the bottle. I just have one oddball bottle around all the time that gets drained about 800 mL at a time. No problem, I'll just use the extra on the next oil change.

HTH.

PS. Make sure you use the STi-specific oil filter! Don't want anyone baking their oil out there.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Slowride said:
bitabur said:
What are you supposed to torque the oil drain plug at?
Service manual says 33 ft-lbs.
I disagree ... it says, quite clearly, "32.5 ft.-lbs.". :wink:

You just know that people are going to break something with that extra .5 ft.-lbs. :lol:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Really? My copy says, on page PM-5:

Tightening Torque:
44 N-m (4.5 kgf-m, 33 ft-lb)

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slowride said:

Tightening Torque:
"PM-5" wow! is that the Owner's Manual or the Service Manual?

i don't have such a prefix in the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That's the service manual, downloaded for $20. PM is the preventive maintenance section.

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks for the great how to. It saved me with the plastic pins on the splash tray,first time I've had them on a car. Anyway if I could tack a question onto this thread, I did my first oil change, 2nd for the car, and went to mobil 1 synth. and filter how many miles should I go between changes with the synth?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
While you're under warranty, it's important to follow the recommended guidelines and document your oil changes by recording the date and mileage and saving receipts for filters and oil. If you use my.subaru.com, record your self service there, too.

I'd recommend changing oil and rotating tires every 5000 miles.

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
STIobsession said:
What do you do with the used oil please?
often your local auto parts store will have a recycling center. give them a call. i know the Strauss and the Advanced Auto Parts in PA have them.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I take mine to the local recycling center. If you don't have one that take oil, you might check with a local service station or 15 minute lube joint to see if they'll let you drop it off there. In some states I think they have to take it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I like to bathe in it, myself. It makes a nice aftershave, as well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Slowride said:

Tightening Torque:
Aha, there's the rub.

I wasn't in Preventive Maintenance - I was looking in LU(Sti)-08, which is in Engine -> Lubrication -> Engine Oil.

I think we should sue. :wink:

·
Registered
586 Posts
STIobsession said:
What do you do with the used oil please?
The guy who owns the body shop were I do most of my wrenching has a furnace that burns used motor oil for fuel.

In your case, check with your local auto parts store. You might also try checking with Jiffy Lube or other express place. They might take care of the oil for a small charge.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts