IW STi Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've considered routing the snorkle into the fender to help bring added fresh air. Definetly a custom effort, but I am pretty crafty :3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wrapped the SF Intake + airbox and TMIC.

Before the mod the car seemed to have gobs of power just shortly after warming up. After running it hard, and going through traffic etc it seemed to lose power. After this mod I notice more power throughout the entire rpm range all day long.
pics?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm sorry the box is just a gimmick and does absolutely nothing. You are wrapping that shit up like no tomorrow.. do you fail to see that gigantic OPEN SPOT on the bottom of the box?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you really believe that the hot air from the rad/turbo won't just get sucked in from the huge hole in the bottom? Thats amusing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you really believe that the hot air from the rad/turbo won't just get sucked in from the huge hole in the bottom? Thats amusing.

Actually, the "huge hole" on the bottom of the Cobb SF intake Box is open to the "huge hole" that goes into the fender well. So I'm not sure if you've actually seen one of these installed or not. I'm not saying that the Cobb SF intake is a true "cold air intake" ... I'm just saying that you are wrong. :rofl: Cobb is an excellent company that makes quality parts. My car is currently stage 3 and an absolute blast to drive. I have invested in as many Cobb parts as I can, because I believe in the company. I've had zero issues with any of there parts and when ever I've called with a technical question they have been very professional and extremely informative.

With that said, I actually used the same material and blocked/sealed every potential open area of the box to the engine bay (this includes around the intake tube) so all the air coming into the box is from the snorkel or the wheel well.

I actually admired the original poster for performing an objective test comparing temperatures before and after his well thought out project. Anyone who wants to post any negative opinions (as stupid as they may be) obviously does not respect a fellow WRX loving brother (or sister) who cares enough to test the modification they have made to their cherished Sub and then take the time to share the results with others. Therefore, they do not deserve an respect themselves (IMO).

Again, my hats off to the original poster. :tup:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
thanks dude!

Actually, the "huge hole" on the bottom of the Cobb SF intake Box is open to the "huge hole" that goes into the fender well. So I'm not sure if you've actually seen one of these installed or not. I'm not saying that the Cobb SF intake is a true "cold air intake" ... I'm just saying that you are wrong. :rofl: Cobb is an excellent company that makes quality parts. My car is currently stage 3 and an absolute blast to drive. I have invested in as many Cobb parts as I can, because I believe in the company. I've had zero issues with any of there parts and when ever I've called with a technical question they have been very professional and extremely informative.

With that said, I actually used the same material and blocked/sealed every potential open area of the box to the engine bay (this includes around the intake tube) so all the air coming into the box is from the snorkel or the wheel well.

I actually admired the original poster for performing an objective test comparing temperatures before and after his well thought out project. Anyone who wants to post any negative opinions (as stupid as they may be) obviously does not respect a fellow WRX loving brother (or sister) who cares enough to test the modification they have made to their cherished Sub and then take the time to share the results with others. Therefore, they do not deserve an respect themselves (IMO).

Again, my hats off to the original poster. :tup:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
My question is your just wrapped the outside if the airbox correct??? I am considering doing thus as well as trying to come up with a way to seal off the box on the engine side. Seems like a great idea and you proved it in your data. Cheers for this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude I have a sf Cobb intake and would like to wrap it like your saying and by the way the intake box is half the product and Cobb has done extensive testing to prove results I love the Cobb intake and what it has done for my subie!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
148 Posts
In Texas, in 118 degree weather we get AITs north of 180 degrees. It literally is so hot the ECU can't react to it, the car bucks and misfires in the midrange.

Heat management is a big deal, you did a great job.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
In Texas, in 118 degree weather we get AITs north of 180 degrees. It literally is so hot the ECU can't react to it, the car bucks and misfires in the midrange.

Heat management is a big deal, you did a great job.
Yes indeed hence why I am so keen to get this done - I am planning on covering the outside if the airbox - beneath the snorkel and beneath my radiator shroud. I think the data proves that it all helps out and in Texas every little bit helps.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I picked up a 2 in x 30 ft roll of the DEI gold tape like the op used. Not too expensive on amazon. I am going to try to get the outside of the airbox, the bottom of the snorkel, and the TMIC. If I have enough I may also try the bottom of my radiator shroud. Will post pics come December when I am home and able to complete.

·
Registered
99 Posts
if i may ask- why not just run a 'true' CAI/an intake that pulls air from fender (such as Perrin, AEM, etc)? it seems like a bit of trouble to go through and it doesnt even yield ideal results... dont get me wrong, there isnt anything wrong with the Cobb intake- they make great parts. its just, in my professional opinion, if you are one to try and shed as many IAT degs as you can off... why not just run the most ideal CAI for cooler, denser air? again, not trying to pick at you guys or say these intakes are no good- i like Cobb products, run them on customers cars and a few on mine.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts