IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i had some free time this weekend and decided to do a little experiment... the whole weekend was about 80F outside temp so i decided to do a little heat managements, so i set off to the road to take some under hood temps and after 20 mines of driving about 60-85 mph on highway and about 10 mins in traffic driving.. my under hood temps around the SF intake box where 121-124F after a 20 min highway cruise and a 143- 147F in traffic and everything was measured with my laser infrared thermometer that was day 1.. so that night i decide to wrap my whole SF box and Radiator shroud in DEI Gold Wrap Reflective Foil and this is what i did...

DAY 1 INSTALL

wrapped the whole outside of the box to reflect the incoming heat from filter element

also wrapped underneath the intake snorkel to reflect heat away from the inlet (heat comes up from the radiator )

also decided to wrap around the intake tube for more added heat protection!

so since i wanted to add a little flair to my intake i wrapped the top of the SF lid carbon.

also removed my Perrin radiator shroud and added some golf foil to the underneath as well so the heat wont rise up from it.. and added some more on top where the snorkel rests.

so this is the box installed in the engine bay with the filter element installed (filter was cleaned with K&N filter cleaner so hence the purple filter lol)

now this is with the top lid in place and snorkel in place, also had this Cobb sticker laying around and added it since i covered the original logo with the carbon.

different angles

DAY 2 TESTING:

20min highway drive and pulled over opened the hood and measured under hood temps at the SF box and radiator shroud

did the same thing after being in 10 mins in traffic...

SF box HIGHWAY ORIGINAL TEMP 124.1 F
NOW its 110.8F

Radiator Perrin shroud HIGHWAY ORIGINAL TEMP 112.0 F
NOW its 98.2F

SF box TRAFFIC ORIGINAL TEMP 157.2
NOW its 134.9F

Radiator Perrin shroud TRAFFIC ORIGINAL TEMP 131.5
NOW its 119.3F

im very happy with the results and now i can actually touch all these parts and they are warm to the touch not blistering hot!

also did this to my SPT Turbo shield with gold wrap, but never got the original temp with out the shield.

but i can honestly say with a 30mins of highway driving i can open my hood and actually touch the shield and not get burnt!

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Awesome, looks good, might be trying this on my own as well!

Did you log IAT at all? Or was this strictly with your external temp reader?

Did you consider sealing the opening where the intake enters the airbox a bit more?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to te AP my temps where about the same give or take 2-3 degrees difference as for the intake opening i put some foam around the opening for the snorkel so its sealed pretty good

·
Registered
42 Posts
DEI heat barrier wrapped covering everything associated with filter/intake is a must for anyone not running a CAI. Even with OP's nice job of wrapping there is very hot air being sucked into the box where MAF area is. That area needs to be completely blocked/closed off.

but

If you can move to a CAI your IAT's will drop a huge amount (CAI IAT's are always 5 degrees over ambient temps and you aint gonna even come close to that with anything else). Even after shutdown and sitting for 15 minutes heatsoak with underhood temps at 200 degrees restart showed IAT's only 10 degrees over outside ambient and within 1 minute back down to 5 over. Prior with other intake setups IAT's on restart were 160+ degrees and took 10-20 minutes to come down and still were 40+ over ambient.

To the OP, post your IAT temps for these: cold startup just to get baseline ambient, cruising on a 70+ degree day, sitting idle for 5 minutes once full warmed up and a shutdown wait 10 minutes and restart IAT.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The box does a lot to help IATs by itself vs. having just the filter element by itself sitting in the engine bay. I've got a graph comparing IAT before and after on my journal page. It would be interesting to run the same experiment again and an AEM CAI to the test.

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
Now, how about the cost of that gold foil?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will messure the i IATs when the weather shots back up into the 90s
Thanks.

You really dont have to wait till weather is in the 90's. The underhood heat is still incredible even in the 70's just from block, exhaust and radiator heat. Pay special attention to the opening still left around the maf area. The filter will suck more engine compartment heated air in around that area than anywhere else.

I just wanted maf sensor to be cooler, anything after than suck as turbo inlet wrapping I figured wasnt needed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I bought $12 roll of weatherproof aluminium tape and sealed the bottom front side of the box, not the part where the silencer was, as well as around the maf. My intention was to lower iat by sealing out engine bay air. After logging before and after there was no change. I did not cover the walls of the box.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That weatherproof aluminum tape wont do a darn thing as you found out. Pretty much any filter setup where filter is in engine bay is gonna be high IAT's. You have to use heat barrier stuff withstanding 850 degrees of radiant heat which is the DEI stuff.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That weatherproof aluminum tape wont do a darn thing as you found out. Pretty much any filter setup where filter is in engine bay is gonna be high IAT's. You have to use heat barrier stuff withstanding 850 degrees of radiant heat which is the DEI stuff.
I used the tape as an air barrier, which it does perfect. It can withstand 350 degrees so it will never exceed its range in that location either. I hoped to block hot air by eliminating gaps at the bottom of the box and around the maf. The gaps are closed, but hot air is still finding the intake.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Pay special attention to the opening still left around the maf area. The filter will suck more engine compartment heated air in around that area than anywhere else.
Yup, very true. Stock intake at 75mph cruising I saw 8-12F above ambient. Cobb SF Box is 30-40F above ambient.

Not only that but when you move away from a stop, the IAT actually rises for a little while, where as with the stock airbox it would fall instantly.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
DEI heat barrier wrapped covering everything associated with filter/intake is a must for anyone not running a CAI. Even with OP's nice job of wrapping there is very hot air being sucked into the box where MAF area is. That area needs to be completely blocked/closed off.
So you're saying to block off that open are where the intake is getting most of its air?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yup, very true. Stock intake at 75mph cruising I saw 8-12F above ambient. Cobb SF Box is 30-40F above ambient.
And my AEM CAI is somewhere in between meaning I'm getting higher IATs with it compared to Stock air box.

Not only that but when you move away from a stop, the IAT actually rises for a little while, where as with the stock airbox it would fall instantly.
I think I've seen similar behavior with AEM CAI also compared to stock box.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts