IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been running with a Seibon CF hood for the last 6 months and using the stock hood struts. They work, but not perfectly. If the hood isn't pulled down evenly, you'll hear a pop due to the hood flexing. It somehow sounds like a bond breaking.

I found an ebay shop that supplies various lengths and pressures of gas struts. Here are the pictures.

I used some angled bars to make the brackets since the stock struts are riveted onto the stock brackets.

You can see the seller's website. I used two 18.5" struts with 40 lbs of pressure each.

10mm ball ends with M8 threads are available from the shop. The two on the left have a slightly shorter threaded section.

Fully opened.

Pulled down 6". If pulled down more than 6" the hood will continue to drop. Please assist it or your hood may crack. If nudged up from this position it will stay in place. If nudged up by an inch, it will excruciatingly slowly rise to the maximum height. I don't think it has a chance of crashing down from that point up.

The struts are not as buttery smooth as OEM. Lets see if that changes with use.

My first attempt used 30 lbs struts which were not enough. The slightest wind or vibration sent the hood down.

If I were to do this again, I'd use 60 lbs struts so it opens a bit faster towards maximum extension, and gives some allowance for weakening pressure as the struts age.

An observation: A single stock strut exerts more pressure that two 40 lbs struts. OEM is certainly over 80 lbs per strut.

03/03/2016: This is a heads up for people who live in cold climates. The above was done when the hood struts were at 30 degrees C (86F). Today after a long drive (in tropical weather), the struts were as hot a the rest of the engine bay. That increased the pressure in the struts. The hood rose itself for the last 18" of travel. It also felt smooth like the stock ones. I will check it tomorrow when the struts return to ambient temperature.

03/04/2016: At an ambient temperature of 27 C, the struts' behavior is the same as in the initial write up. However movement is smooth.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aerocatch hood pins. I bought the hood and hood pins used. They were already installed. I'm pretty sure they were professionally installed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks 2bfi for this post

summary: 20" hood damper struts for 80lbs (a pair supporting 160lbs)

OEM hood struts failed on me. I have OEM hood. I used 2bfi as a starting point and he is spot on the struts.

OEM strut replacements are ridicululous (about $120 for new, about ~$65 for used). for less $30, i have a more cheaper path to install a new universal struts. if struts fail, $15 to replace (perhaps every 3-4 years it fails, it is still cheaper than oem struts)

i wound up get similar brackets from ebay from the same vendor as 2bfi. mine had the ball as part of the bracket. hole to hole on the bracket was 1.5". had to elongate holes just a little to fit hood holes. i reused the oem ball screws by cutting them out of the oem struts. oem struts do NOT have a clip that allows you pop it out.

struts i did not get from the same vendor. seller shipping was too high. oem length is 18.5" as 2bfi bought above. but ebay has many vendor with many different specs. i end up using a pair of 20" struts for 80lbs for $13. this was my 3rd attempt. 1st attempt was with 40lbs...didnt work, oem hood was too heavy. 2nd attempt was with 151lbs struts. i was able to install one side and it held the hood up, but i couldnt install the other side. very hard to compress and did not want just one strut holding up the hood in case it fails, a 150lb hood landing on me would hurt.

i will be doing similar with my hatch as the rear struts are failing as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you send over a parts list and location where we can order this?

thanks 2bfi for this post

summary: 20" hood damper struts for 80lbs (a pair supporting 160lbs)

OEM hood struts failed on me. I have OEM hood. I used 2bfi as a starting point and he is spot on the struts.

OEM strut replacements are ridicululous (about $120 for new, about ~$65 for used). for less $30, i have a more cheaper path to install a new universal struts. if struts fail, $15 to replace (perhaps every 3-4 years it fails, it is still cheaper than oem struts)

i wound up get similar brackets from ebay from the same vendor as 2bfi. mine had the ball as part of the bracket. hole to hole on the bracket was 1.5". had to elongate holes just a little to fit hood holes. i reused the oem ball screws by cutting them out of the oem struts. oem struts do NOT have a clip that allows you pop it out.

struts i did not get from the same vendor. seller shipping was too high. oem length is 18.5" as 2bfi bought above. but ebay has many vendor with many different specs. i end up using a pair of 20" struts for 80lbs for $13. this was my 3rd attempt. 1st attempt was with 40lbs...didnt work, oem hood was too heavy. 2nd attempt was with 151lbs struts. i was able to install one side and it held the hood up, but i couldnt install the other side. very hard to compress and did not want just one strut holding up the hood in case it fails, a 150lb hood landing on me would hurt.

i will be doing similar with my hatch as the rear struts are failing as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can you send over a parts list and location where we can order this?
finally got these struts on ebay 252505348763
2 Rear Tonneau Cover Top Truck Cap Gas Lift Support Strut 120 lb Fit C16-08055C

Item Description:

• Extended Length: 19.69 Inches
    Compressed Length: 12.20 Inches
    Force: 534N = 120 Lbs.
    Shaft End Fitting: Ball Socket U Band (Nylon)=10mm=3/8"=.39"
    Body End Fitting: Ball Socket U Band (Nylon)=10mm=3/8"=.39"
it is longer and stronger than stock so i need to slowly let the hood up with my hand. dont let go or the hood will reach the top quick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts