IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
very cool mod; especially with orange bulbs. i'll wait a year though to see how many people get condensation when the weather gets cooler.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As long as you seal the headlights back very well, you shouldn't get any condensations. I did that mod to my 98 civic before and I used silicone (same one used in aquariums) to totally seal the headlights back on. Never had any problems with condensations at all!!!

One thought I have though is...don't you think it might be a little different for the USDM STi because of our HID system?...I wonder how much different it is for the HID...I would definitely take out the electronic stuff before putting them in the oven!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
jcbx said:
...I would definitely take out the electronic stuff before putting them in the oven!
hmm. i didn't realize, till you said something, that mod was done on a wrx, not the sti. the hid might make a difference. the engine bay gets pretty hot, but i seriously doubt the back of the light reaches anywhere near 200degrees, even with the light on.

·
Registered
858 Posts
knowing my luck... i'd end up with a crispy headlight assembly...

so no thanks... i can live with the orange...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Naw, all the stuff will come off of the headlight. Unless our HIDs are different than every other system I've seen, the ballasts aren't on the headlight themselves. That means we have the same deal as everyone else.....just unplug the bulbs and throw the housing in the oven.

We may have different bulbs, but we don't have different housings.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Wow that mod is TIGHT! I've never done a mod like that before (actually I've never done mods period except for a K&N filter) so I was tripping out when the guy says stick the housing in the oven. Is that to melt/loosen the original seal? Just curious. Don't think I'll try it on any of my cars though...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One down and looking good!

Just an added tip/caution....when pulling the headlight apart, be sure to watch the sealant so that it doesn't string out and land on your reflector. Couple close calls there.

Otherwise....this is a piece of cake!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DIY Scoop Screen

Piggy backing on the thread listed here

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2414

Which links to the instructions here

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384488&perpage=25&highlight=clear headlights&pagenumber=1

I highly recommend this mod. Once you get over what it is you are actually doing, it all makes perfect sense. No worries about it sealing back up....there is plenty of sealant in there and the headlight fits together in a very [- way so there are no edges to leak.

Here's the final product.....100x better!

I threw in a set of those SilverStar high beams at the same time...very nice bulbs.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and just a side note to what was talked about earlier......the ballast for the HIDs is actually inside the housing. It's a small metal case that plugs right onto the back of the bulb. Very slim design...very nice design.

No problems with the heat on the wiring, ballasts or otherwise. It isn't that hot at all...heck, the bulbs get much hotter than 200 and it has to be damn warm being in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
*very* nice. did you change the indicator bulbs also; i.e. will they blink white in front and orange in the back? i'd like to get some orange bulbs in hand before i do the mod.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah....trying to find the orange bulbs for the blinkers....they aren't too common.

Like I said in the other thread....don't worry about condensation here. The housing fits together in a very secure way with the lip of one side sliding into the groove of the other side. With the amount of sealant in there, the design itself and the number of screws pulling it back together, I'm 100% confident no condensation will appear.

The SilverStars came from Advance Auto Parts..$19 a piece I think. 9005 are our highs (12V/60W).

I would like to find a set of those look silver/blink orange turn signals, but again, this size is hard to find.

Stu.....whenever you want to tackle it, you just let me know.

·
Registered
804 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Yeah....trying to find the orange bulbs for the blinkers....they aren't too common.

Like I said in the other thread....don't worry about condensation here. The housing fits together in a very secure way with the lip of one side sliding into the groove of the other side. With the amount of sealant in there, the design itself and the number of screws pulling it back together, I'm 100% confident no condensation will appear.

The SilverStars came from Advance Auto Parts..$19 a piece I think. 9005 are our highs (12V/60W).

I would like to find a set of those look silver/blink orange turn signals, but again, this size is hard to find.

Stu.....whenever you want to tackle it, you just let me know.
Cool, thanks. I've heard the rear blinkers are the same as the fronts(only amber) and you can get them at your dealer. How bought those pics of the high beams? :D

M

·
0 Posts
The clear headlights look sweet.

But, I'm going for the Blacked out lights, i think they just look mean. Here is a pic also originally from Nasioc, and that just looks tough as nails to me.

mist

1 - 20 of 184 Posts