IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want this thread to be taken the wrong way....this is not a "yeah, my car blows" thread. I want to see if other people get the same feeling I do about the handing of the car somethings.

I'm used to driving a Celica that was pretty well setup suspension wise, but at the same time, it did not have a great deal of power. With that car, I felt like I could always drive it with one hand on the wheel and feel completely in control.

Sometimes....not so with the STi.

When on the highway, it seems the car needs steering input correction frequently. For what should be a 'turn it a little' bend in the road, I find myself putting in an initial steering input, then adjust, let the car settle, adjust.......I think you get the drift.

Does anyone else feel this way sometimes? I just keep having flashbacks to that SCC article in which Rod Millen drove the STi and he was quoted as saying "I thought I had forgotten how to drive", in reference to feeling somewhat out of control when driving the STi.

On one hand, I feel the car is setup to just be absolutely flung around at all times and there is no such thing as a "knife edge" to get the car out to.....just punch it and hold on, flinging that wheel back and forth as if your name was Petter!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have felt this also. Every groove, imperfection in the road seems to move the car. It probably has something to do with the tires. I am just glad I didn't get the EVO. That thing drove like a go-kart. You barely move the wheel and the car goes that way.

Probably just going to take some time to get comfortable with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have noticed this a bit as well. But I think you just need to get used to it and adjust. It actually felt pretty solid on the track, other than the push. I was hitting close to 140 going in to turn 1 (banked high speed corner) and car just felt planted on the straight and in the corner. No high speed wandering.

Now that I have over 1000 miles on the car I don't notice the on road twitchiness anymore. I have probably just become accustumed to it.

Later,

Enrique

·
Registered
114 Posts
Folks, welcome to the world of racing tunned suspensions.

My Cobra is even worse. 275/40/27 VictorRacer 700s on 9x17 rims, -2 camber up front, loads of Ackerman & Caster.

It wants to follow every road irregularity. BUT, it turns at the slightest input, it's connected to my brain via telepathy, it knows what I want to do.

But it's a pain to drive on bad roads... tradeoffs tradeoffs.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have had the car for about 6 days now and I have the same "twitchy" feeling.

First, I think the alignment is quite off on the car, and it is going back to the dealer for installation of accessories and the alignment.

I'll see if things change afterwards.

The feeling of the car I have is that it is not as stable at high-speed and there is some wondering around. That might be due to tramlining, but I am not sure. As more and more are put on to the car (382 mil so far), that tramlining seems to be diminishing. However, the wondering around is not. I believe the toe-in alignments are not correct, but I'll find out after the alignment is performed.

The real problem I have is that when ever I lift off the gas, the car pulls mostly to the left and in general towards the direction of the turn. This is somewhat expected on a 4WD car, but this is a little excessive. Everytime I want to shift and press the clutch and off the gas, the car becomes twitchy and feels unstable. I cannot determine at this time if this is related to alignment or how the DCCD is distributing power; but it just does not feel normal. Then again, it just may be.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Everything in the posts above sound pretty normal for STi's. I jsut hit 4k on mine and the tramlining is still kind of there (I unconsciously adjut for it). The twitchiness is just the combination of the sport tuned suspension, the quicker ratio steering rack and the tires.
As stated above, its a tradeoff that I have no problem dealing with :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
If anything, I think the twitchiness settles down a bit at higher speeds. I don't find it as twitchy at higher speeds than I do at slower speeds. Compared to the Type R I drove everyday for the past few years, it definitely doesn't have that go kart feel (which I like, by the way). It's just different. This is my first all wheel drive car though and I suspect much of it has to do with that. I do feel the same thing as the rest of you so I'm confident it's inherent in the car. I like it though. It does feel like the car WANTS to be driven hard!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, others get the feeling, but I don't think for the same reasons.

What I feel is not the tires following the road.....it isn't the tires...it COULD be the alignment.

What I feel is the car seeming to need adjustment due to all the things it is doing, I.E. springs loading, diffs 'diffing', DCCD adjusting......

The car just doesn't do what it's told. If you are coming up to a smooth flowing corner, you can't just turn the wheel to the proper angle and hold it. You have to let the rear end come around a little, then let the front adjust to that, let the diffs do their thing, and by now you've tightened and let out the wheel angle.

I'm getting used to it....it's just like the car wants to be constantly adjusted at all times. ...like I said before, like watching Solberg drive around a rally course!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
On the way to home, I locked the DCCD to all the way down (assuming that actually means, I locked the diff to 65 rear and 35 front torque distribution) and mid-corner twichyness is lessened quite a bit and the car felt noticeably more stable during throttle lift off.

I will continue like this for one more day and go through few more varying corners and see if the handling seems a little improved. But I agree with Clonegts that, at least our car, needs alignment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would recomend not driving with it on L (lock). That is not 35/65.
Lock is a 50/50 lock and it's only intended for slipery surfaces like bad weather, snow, or really loose gravle or mud.
The center diff is trying to maintain that ballance and trys to keep everything turning together. In tight turning circles on dry pavement it will pop and jerk. It's not a good thing. I felt it on one i test drove. the dealer drove it hard with the DCCD in lock and when we were pulling back in to the dealership it almost stopped rolling, and popped a few times.
the salesman blamed the issue on the "wide wheels and tires" rubbing in the wheelwell. (which is obsurd)

The wheels and tires aren't that big, and no car should ever do that, stock.

(stay away from the greensboro, NC dealership)
(they are really hard on new cars)
(the sales guy hit 90 and redlined an STi with only about 70 miles on it)

From talking to another dealer about it, he said it wouldn't break anything initially, but if done too much it eventually would damage the center diff.

From what he said they specificly explained/ and showed them this at a SOA STi week, where SOA talks to all the dealers about the car and gives the track time with the car, and a pro driver.

just a suggestion. i don't want anyone to hurt their new babies.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've seen the same twitchyness; my old '94 Integra was easy to drive, point it in a turn and it just stuck and stayed there, no input needed. This does take some work...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think he meant 'lock' as in the 50/50 lock....I believe he meant he took it out of auto and left it at full rear bias.

The more I think about this, I think it's all just the nature of the car. It's always fighting for the best traction regardless of what it's doing to the car itself. On one hand, it can be an unsettling feeling but on the other, it just feels powerful and in a strange sense in control.

Oh well.....time to at least check the alignment.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Picking Up Black/Gold Tomorrow

CloNeGTS said:
I don't think he meant 'lock' as in the 50/50 lock....I believe he meant he took it out of auto and left it at full rear bias.

The more I think about this, I think it's all just the nature of the car. It's always fighting for the best traction regardless of what it's doing to the car itself. On one hand, it can be an unsettling feeling but on the other, it just feels powerful and in a strange sense in control.

Oh well.....time to at least check the alignment.
You are right, I took it out of auto and turned the knob all the way back; the dash shows a green O at the bottom of the DCCD lights. I believe, according to the manual, I have "locked" it to that setting, but it does not say the torque percentages; I will later on check the service manual.

However, I actually can come up with only one conclusion, and I am not sure of it as I have not had a front or all wheel drive performance vehicle before; they were all rear-wheel driven. I believe, the "twitchiness" we are experiencing is just torque steer. With so much torque in hand and DCCD constantly adjusting between fronts and rear; it has to be it. That would also explain why I feel it less now when DCCD is in 35/65 manual mode.

I will check with the service manager and check again after alignment, but it looks like we will have to live with this and learn to make the best of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My $.02:

I agree with CloneGTS - it *is* a little twitchy, and sometimes it just feels like you don't really know what the front end is doing in mid-corner. I really would like a "heavier", "tighter" steering feel (yes, like a go-cart). My design point has always been a go-cart with a rocket strapped to it. 3rd Gen RX-7 hit that mark nicely. We got the rocket, but not the go-cart. Still love it though.

Now the diff locking thing - if it really can do damage long term, that's too bad, cause I find the car handles best (for me) with the diff locked (full front, 50-50), or one notch below locked. Seems more "connected" somehow...

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Last thing I would want is a go-cart. My modded Supra is like a go-cart and nothing I would want to deal with on a daily basis. One thing I notice in my STi, it might be what you guys are calling twitchy, is that the car reacts to any little movement in the wheel when taking a corner. I think it just takes some getting used to. I have no problem with it and I never feel like I am not in control. I can't wait to get it out on a track and really push it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
just as i was beginning to get a little annoyed with the twitchiness of my blue and gold, i paid attention to the steering wheel - basically i ALWAYS keep both hands on the wheel (as much as possible anyway). HUGE difference - in cornering and straights. This is not a car to cruise around in with one hand on the wheel. Now I just wish I had some damn shift paddles :wink: Im considering a smaller diameter steering wheel also. As for the DCCD, I havnt had the opportunity to experiment with it, so no comment.

T

·
0 Posts
I totally agree Olappa, this is a two hander car. With a good two handed grip this car feels solid, however with just the one hand gently resting on the streering wheel, it does need lots of correction. When I drive this car hard in sharp corners with two hands on the wheel, it is solid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rob,

I would just like to confirm what you are experiencing. When you're in a turn and give it more throttle, does it feel like the car is "pushing"? When you get off the throttle, does it feel like it's turning in?

Does this indicate bad alignment? Maybe it's the way the Suretrac LSD up front divvies up the torque?

-jay

1 - 20 of 81 Posts