IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all the supporting mods cobb has said I needed to run the stage 2 map. I flashed to stage 2+ebcs 93 octane a few weeks ago. I baby my car all the time and have put maybe 200 miles on the car since going stage 2. I finally floored it to redline in 2nd and 3rd gear merging onto the interstate and wasn’t impressed. My question is, is babying my car (never more that 1/2 throttle and not going over 4K rpm) making my car run slower and not learning the tune fully? Do I need to get on it more often for my computer to learn the tune and adjust to get its full potential?

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
If thats how you drive, then why mod.

How can you be unimpressed. You cant know how it performed previously . . .

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Not trying to be rude but the bugeye wrx dont make alot of power to begin with. The cobb maps are ok but arent the best. If you want more power out of the car, then add some more mods and get the car protuned on the dyno. Another thing to consider, are you actually hitting the boost that the map is allowing for? My point is that this is an older car and maybe you have a boost leak or worn components. Just something to keep in mind.

I think provided the car is mechanically in good shape then yeah you should open that car up a bit more. You can enjoy spirited driving and not abuse the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I mod the car because it’s my hobbie and I love cars. I don’t need to drive crazy all the time to justify wanting power on tap if needed. If you buy a diesel truck and don’t tow anything, why would you buy one?? Because you like it and have a passion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not trying to be rude but the bugeye wrx dont make alot of power to begin with. The cobb maps are ok but arent the best. If you want more power out of the car, then add some more mods and get the car protuned on the dyno. Another thing to consider, are you actually hitting the boost that the map is allowing for? My point is that this is an older car and maybe you have a boost leak or worn components. Just something to keep in mind.

I think provided the car is mechanically in good shape then yeah you should open that car up a bit more. You can enjoy spirited driving and not abuse the car.
i Just did a boost leak test and it holds 20 psi. ( that’s as much as I wanted to put in). My boost at wot is 17 in a 3rd gear pull. But I did hear what sounds like a boost leak coming from the turbo itself. Didn’t see any bubble though.

but to my original question, does my car need to play around at high load, rpm and boost to learn and adjust to its full potential?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
i Just did a boost leak test and it holds 20 psi. ( that’s as much as I wanted to put in). My boost at wot is 17 in a 3rd gear pull. But I did hear what sounds like a boost leak coming from the turbo itself. Didn’t see any bubble though.

but to my original question, does my car need to play around at high load, rpm and boost to learn and adjust to its full potential?
Hmm ok yeah i wouldnt go more than 20 psi on a leak test at this point. Maybe you have some kind of exhaust leak?? Check the up pipe, ive herd that to be common on the older wrx's. Also are you on stock turbo? Even on an sti, the stock turbo is good for mid range but fall off once it gets higher into the rpm range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I am running stock turbo and stock headers and up pipe. The turbo seems to start getting a good spool around 3000rpm. Then it starts to actually climb. Could it be time for a turbo rebuild? A 16g will be coming in the spring. But until then, the rebuild kit is cheap and something fun to do while I’m bored.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Yes I am running stock turbo and stock headers and up pipe. The turbo seems to start getting a good spool around 3000rpm. Then it starts to actually climb. Could it be time for a turbo rebuild? A 16g will be coming in the spring. But until then, the rebuild kit is cheap and something fun to do while I’m bored.
Well we cant determine if you need a turbo based on what we've got here lol. Sometimes turbo's make a noise when they are on the way out, sometimes they dont lol. Many difference things to consider. The oem headers and up pipe are pretty restrictive. If you are upgrading the turbo then i would recommend upgrading the rest of the exhaust system along with fuel system and doing a protune.

You should probably put up your mod list so other can chime in as well and so we're not guessing lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cobb sf intake, cobb 3 port ebcs, stock fuel system. Unknown name unmarried downpipe, bpm exhaust from there back. Mitsumoto intercooler hoses. Cobb AP v3.

just logged a 3rd gear pull. I just have to figure out how to post the log.

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
If you buy a diesel truck and don’t tow anything, why would you buy one?? Because you like it and have a passion.
Because people have crazy stupid ideas of why or why they don't do things - a few of em promoted by mfgs. Diesel is a great example. People bought em cause they were told it got great mileage, decent performance and did not pollute. It was to good to be true. And true story - my father believed it and I told him over and over it was to good to be true - way back . . . then we all learned it actually was to good to be true!

science and knowledge and truth are real, and you can depend on em. Yet in many case people have their own silly ideas . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts