IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I joined the forum earlier this year in January when I purchased my stock pre-owned, 2016 STI Limited with 26,000 miles. I didn't know much about the car at all at the time except that I wanted a fun 6-speed, 4 door car that offered some practicality as a daily driver, ability to carry baby seats in the back, and a good trunk space :tup:. I did know that it had potential to mod and make even more fun that it already is but knew nothing about the upgrade paths, access port, data logging, what to monitor, ring land, rod knock etc. All this I've learned after buying the car. All credit goes to people on this forum and sharing their input, experience, and discussion in general. thanks everyone!

I have not yet taken it to the track but I haven't ruled that out as a future possibility.
My prior cars to this, in order of most recent to distant, are: 2008 Lexus GS 460 for 5 years, 2003 BMW M3 for 6 years, 2002 Honda S2000 for 2 years.
The Lexus was nice, but something was missing, and with a new marriage, kids, house, etc. It took me some time to realize that I was missing something in the car ... the FUN! I eventually traded it in with the purchase of the STI.

Fast forward 2 months from January to present date the car now has fun enhancements :D including :
1. Cobb BCS Kit
2. Invidia Catted DP
3. Cobb Turbo Heatshield
4. ETS TBE
5. Walbro 255lph fuel pump
6. ID1000c Injectors
7. Cobb Flex Fuel Kit
8. K&N air filter
9. Accessport

After a pro-tune for both 93 and e85 the car puts out 301/343 and 278/297 between the 2 fuels. The car is absolutely fun to drive and I'm all smiles cheek to cheek as it was with the M3 and S2000.

I'm now planning out my next build and wanted to share what I've discussed with my tuner and get your input, thoughts, etc. This will get me to 400 but is this the primary way or can it be done with a different route etc. Also, if instead of doing all of it at once and break the path out over 2 set of upgrades would be good too. But I'd want to keep things that require a tune and no-tune required in mind so that I don't have to pay for a tune twice etc.
Also any insight you have as to what to expect once I get there is welcome as well.

So here is the future list [installed 04/2017]:
1. ETS Intake Kit
2. ETS FMIC 3.5 Core
3. Dom 1.5 XTR
4. ETS TMIC (decided to go with the FMIC)
5. IAG AOS Street Series

[11/7/2017] OEM Block failure - compression test failure in Cylinder 2, 4
[11/8/2017] Planning rebuild
[12/4/2017] Decided on the RevWorks 750 Closed Deck Short Block; placed order
Other items on the Build List are :
1. Revworks 750 Closed Deck short block
2. ARP Head studs
3. Killer B Oil pick up
4. Gates timing belt, water pump etc.
5. NGK one step colder spark plugs
6. Walbro 450 fuel pump
7. Cusco Engine and Transmission mounts
8. ACT 6 Puck clutch
9. Koyo Racing Radiator
10. SMY Dual gauge pod oil pressure, temperature
11. Blouch Dom 3.0 Turbo
12. Perrin Turbo inlet
13. Tial BOV
14. Air pump delete
15. Kelford Stage 2 Cams
16. Aeromotive EFI Regulator
17. Tomei ELH Headers
18. Grimspeed 3 bolt uppipe w/ EWG port
19. Tial Wastegate
20. Invidia catless DP
21. ID1700 CC injectors
[/LIST]
[/LIST]

[3/28/2017] Still waiting on RevWorks for Short Block; there were some design issues that delayed the deliveries. Looking to now be ready by late April 2018.

Attachments

Registered
Re: DinoMagics 2016 STI Limited CBS Going to 400 HP

Dino,

Welcome to the community (and the E85 club).

The car looks awesome and it sounds like we have very similar needs and wants with our cars.

Keep having fun and stay safe! 馃憤馃徏

Registered

Congrats on the awesome car Dino. Hope you are loving it. Good upgrade path. I noticed you have the ETS front mount intercooler 3.5 core as well as the ETS top mount intercooler in your future upgrades path. Just wondering if it was a typo or you havent decided on the path you want to take. Cheers and good luck. May the unicorns visit you and provide awesome choochoo power.

Choochoo and unicorn reference from Mighty Car Mods

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4

Dino,

The car looks awesome and it sounds like we have very similar needs and wants with our cars.

Hey thanks for checking out my build page and the sweet welcome note . Awesome that we have similar mods, I'm always curious to hear and learn from people that have already tried and experienced something vs. coming up with my own thoughts by joining take-aways from many separate threads. When are you planning to do your turbo, ic upgrades?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5

Dino,

Congrats on the awesome car Dino. Hope you are loving it. Good upgrade path. I noticed you have the ETS front mount intercooler 3.5 core as well as the ETS top mount intercooler in your future upgrades path. Just wondering if it was a typo or you havent decided on the path you want to take. Cheers and good luck. May the unicorns visit you and provide awesome choochoo power.

Choochoo and unicorn reference from Mighty Car Mods
Thanks man! I sure am enjoying the car + e85. The upgrade path is mostly put together from this forum and reading what others have done with what I want to do with the car. I have never modded a car before, pretty much owned them all stock. Boring, yes, I know. But that is why I'm going "all out" (atleast to the extent that I'm willing to go).
You're right I had listed both the FMIC and TMIC as I was unsure which way to go but others have pointed out with the hot heat in TX the TMIC is a better choice.
I'll be checking out your build thread (assuming you have one) so that I don't leave anything that would make me miss the unicorn.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6

So a few weeks ago I put in an order for the following upgrades :
1. Dom 1.5 XTR turbo
2. ETS FMIC
3. Crawford AOS

Talked to my tuner and have it set to be installed and Tuned for FF + 93 on Tuesday, April 18th. Really looking forward to it.

He even shared my cars dyno chart to another similar set up with the FF + Dom 1.5XTR. I've added it here for reference and comparison. I'll put up my actual dyno next week or so when the parts are installed and tuned.

So the solid red/blue are my 2016 FF STI / the dotted lines are from another 2016 STI with FF + Dom 1.5XTR tuned at the same shop.

I did notice that 100% gains seem to be up top and while I knew that the difference would be up top I didn't realize that it'd be 0% below. But it seems, from reading others experiences on this forum, that this is normal and expected.

And, yes, these are conservative DD tunes.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Some parts coming in
(not pictured is the ETS Intake and the ETS FMIC)

Crawford AOS Competition Series (tuner recommended this over the street series)

The Dom 1.5 XTR out of the box ... it is a good looking turbo

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8

So I took the car into the shop for parts installation and the e85+Dom1.5XTR protune on Tuesday, April 18th and got it back today Friday, April 21 2017. I was super excited to pick it up and talk to the tuner as well. The car feels real strong and ready to go with the blip of the throttle.
I haven't had the opportunity to get much experience out of it today but I did get the chance to do a few pulls on the highway and ... like everyone says it pulls all the way to redline and pulls harder than the stock turbo. The intake adds a little whoosh sound on shifts and surprisingly its less quiet than I thought it'd be.
Here are a couple of pictures of the engine bay I snapped (pardon the dirt). Also I realize I need to dress this area up ... not sure what I need so open to suggestions from others. But thought goes to anything that would help to protect the area and make it look nicer. I'll also post the dyno chart below.

AOS

ETS Intake

Cobb Heatshield and the Dom 1.5XTR

Engine bay

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9

e85 + Dom 1.5 XTR Tune and Dyno
e85 - 374hp / 360 tq
93 - 331hp / 317 tq

Registered

Hey thanks for checking out my build page and the sweet welcome note . Awesome that we have similar mods, I'm always curious to hear and learn from people that have already tried and experienced something vs. coming up with my own thoughts by joining take-aways from many separate threads. When are you planning to do your turbo, ic upgrades?
So I've done the FMIC already, still holding off on the turbo for now. I'm just being a wimp about having a larger turbo on the stock block. Have you run into any issues so far? Did you do the 8cm or 10cm turbine on the XTR? Cheers

Registered

Welcome! Im also slight kind of new here myself.

Great build path and choice of parts. I also run a 1.5xtr with 8cm hotside and 3 inch inlet ceramic coated, ets fmic, and a few other goodies. That tune looks very good for a stock block daily driver set up. Its too bad you havent been able to see the full potential of that turbo yet with the stock block and clutch. On our dyno here we stock stis put down 230/240. We maxed my 1.5xtr at 475whp/485wtq with full boost at 3700rpms. Its a beautiful turbo with all the fuel mods.

Im actually about to upgrade from my 1.5 to ets rotated and gtx3576r gen 2.
Enjoy the car brother! Theres is more to be had when you go built block.

Registered

Great Build! DinoMagic. Nice number but it would be much better with header upgrade.You will notice more HP an TQ. I have Dom 1.5XTR sitting in my garage for year now. At first i thought i was going for it but the stock block that hold me off.

Drive carefully and have fun but Don't do hard pull to often as i heard so many had already happened with Dom + E85. Cheers!!!

Registered

Great Build! DinoMagic. Nice number but it would be much better with header upgrade.You will notice more HP an TQ. I have Dom 1.5XTR sitting in my garage for year now. At first i thought i was going for it but the stock block that hold me off.

Drive carefully and have fun but Don't do hard pull to often as i heard so many had already happened with Dom + E85. Cheers!!!
Headers wont make a difference until after you make 400 plus already. Unless you are talking about equal length headers.

There are many members using stock block dom 1.5xtr builds with 93+meth and e85. Longevity is about the tune and maintenance. Give it sufficient cool down time. Watch the oil and coolant temps and change you oil more often and your are fine. Most stock blocks ive seen that failed are because they tell their tuners to agressively make a certain # and build wayy too much torque down low where the bearings and pistons have to hold a high load over a long period of time cause issues.

Enjoy the car op. You are probably due for more fueling upgrades and a clutch to get more out of that turbo.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18

So I've done the FMIC already, still holding off on the turbo for now. I'm just being a wimp about having a larger turbo on the stock block. Have you run into any issues so far? Did you do the 8cm or 10cm turbine on the XTR? Cheers
No issues so far, the car is a real blast to drive. Its very responsive and ready to play whenever I want and pulls very strong. Just trying to not get into trouble :)
I have the 10cm turbine on the XTR.

Don't let it sit in your garage, install it (or get it installed) and tuned. Tell your tuner you want a daily driver setup and you should be fine. And I suppose, follow your advice on keeping the fun in moderation to keep things balanced.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19

Headers wont make a difference until after you make 400 plus already. Unless you are talking about equal length headers.

There are many members using stock block dom 1.5xtr builds with 93+meth and e85. Longevity is about the tune and maintenance. Give it sufficient cool down time. Watch the oil and coolant temps and change you oil more often and your are fine. Most stock blocks ive seen that failed are because they tell their tuners to agressively make a certain # and build wayy too much torque down low where the bearings and pistons have to hold a high load over a long period of time cause issues.

Enjoy the car op. You are probably due for more fueling upgrades and a clutch to get more out of that turbo.
I think you're right. For a daily driver the tuner has to set the right parameters and not be too aggressive on the maps. My tuner gave the same explanation as you mention, the high torque at low RPMs cause the higher pressure on the rods for a longer period of time than at higher RPMs since the motor is working faster.
Next upgrades for me seem to be the alternator cover and some combination of engine shroud to protect the engine from debris than can get in through the hood scoop - with the removal of the stock tmic .... it looks so bare and exposed. Gauges to monitor oil temp etc. seem like a good idea as well.
475 is verryy nice but will wait a while and enjoy what I have for now.
Sounds like you have a great set up as well, I'll be checking out your build page soon (assuming you have one).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #20

It was a beautiful Sunday in Houston today with weather in the 60s and clear skies I decided to hand-wash the car, always do it myself, and then went out for a scenic drive with the camera in hand. Happy to share names of products I use incase anyone is interested. Pretty standard stuff from Autozone.
Here are some of the best of the day with some filters for effect.
Hope you enjoy them.

theres that FMIC hiding behind the bumper

1 - 20 of 53 Posts