IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the subject says....hp, tp, price, dimensions etc etc etc. i would do a search, but being lazy and all, ill just leave it up to you experts. thanks

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
supposedly spec 2 = unequal length, spec 3 = equal length. spec 2 = keep good boxer rumble , spec 3 = sound like a honda for a gain of an extra 5 hp or something ;). To be honest I havent heard our cars with equal length headers, but ... I dont think losing the sound of the boxer engine is worth it for the "Extra" gains we're supposd to get from equal length headers. Also... did anyone get the info from taht speed/sound/style (<= name of magazine) test with the 8 headers? ds1performance said they were going to do it and i got the JAN magazine they had and couldnt find it anywhere in it.. im dying to know how the results turned out!

Robert~

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
staticx313 said:
supposedly spec 2 = unequal length, spec 3 = equal length. spec 2 = keep good boxer rumble , spec 3 = sound like a honda for a gain of an extra 5 hp or something ;). To be honest I havent heard our cars with equal length headers, but ... I dont think losing the sound of the boxer engine is worth it...
Robert~
good point, i dont think i could handle another honda buzz again. ill be on the look out for the magazine article.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All:

staticx313 is correct. The GEN II GTSPEC header is unequal lenght and will keep the subaru boxer rumble tone. The GEN III GTSPEC header that was sent to D1 Performance was a prototype and didn't go into production yet. We will make some more design change before releasing the GEN III to the public. From what I heard the GEN III actually generate more horsepower than GEN II. We haven't receive the actual data yet.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
?? lol I'd like to think the newer version made more hp ;)... I jsut dont like the equal length design, as its usually a lot more expensive and you lose the boxer rumble. Thanks for the info and yes I think it is the Feb issue, my bad ;). Keep us updated please!

Robert~

·
Registered
949 Posts
there is a sound clip of an sti with invidia headers and an aps 3.5 exhaust on www.wrxfanatics.com
the invidia's are equal length, and from the sound of the clip it does make a noticeable difference.
it didn't sound honda-like with the aps, but it def had a distinctly smoother sound as opposed to the true boxer note.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
dmacalot said:
dang it, i dont think my local grocer store carries that magazine...eeerrrrrr
ya same here :(

Although hard to tell from inside the car... i dont think i like taht equal length... even with 3.5" it still sounded ...

Robert~

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awww shoot, i have just been bitten by the header bug (ordered my gt spec II header today!) i couldnt wait till the dang mag came out, oh well :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts