IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
no. the price double is the reason people do not like taking their car to dealerships for repair in the USA.
it's not special titanium rotors from subaru haha. it's not magic steel.
brake life has more to do with type of pads and driving habits (tailgating, etc.).

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The Subaru discs are 2.5 times more expensive here! The Subaru discs will last longer?
not at all. as mentioned, pads/habits will determine how long they last,

that said, not sure how it is where you are from, but in the USA, it's RARE to see guys replace oem brakes with a brembo part. typically people will either go centric or dba (at least local to me), as you will get the same performance as brembo rotors for significantly less cost.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,532 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That said, there are plenty of company's /items that are not built exactly the same for themselves as for as products they produce for other vendors - even on the same production line. A good example was Rubbermaid. 40 years ago the suff sold in Walmart was not close to as good as other higher priced vendors. You have to know the details of each product, and mostly we don't. It has been written here that Centric were made by Brembo on the same line as Brembos. No I do not believe there is no difference. 5X worth? Depends. You pay more and more for less and less in anything. Can you get away with Centrics? Absolutely - and quite a few here have. Are they the best brakes? Probably not. Often we you pay more for performance items that do not last as long as OEM! Does anyone really think that Girodiscs will last much longer than Centrics at nearly10X the cost? It's not all about life . . .

·
Registered
28 Posts
i'm kinda ghetto lol. this was my order for said items below about 2 weeks ago.
1. I purchased coated rotors because i dont like the rust look
2. I purchased akebono ceramics because i dont like tons brake dust on my wheels
if i was racing the car, i would use different pads and possibly different rotors, and probably cooling ducts

my ghetto Rockauto order:

Font Material property Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
306 Posts
One time i bought the oem subaru pads and the brembo pads from a reputable source. Looking at the stickers on the box the brembo pad was made in china and the oem subaru pad was made in Japan. The composition of the pad material also looked different. Take from my post what you will but cheaper may mean made in a different country and/or also different quality. Long story short I returned the Brembo pads and went with the 3x the price OEMs.

·
Registered
WRX STI S 2015
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So here in France, original Subaru pads are worth 320 euros while Brembo pads cost 60 euros on average on the internet! The original Subaru pads are made in Italy by Brembo (you can clearly see it on and in the box purchased at the dealership). We can actually think that the price difference implies a strong difference in material. Is it the same for discs? Original Subaru front discs (Brembo stamped) purchased at the dealership are worth 456 euros here, while Brembo discs are worth around 180 euros a pair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts