IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like this one

I only have 200 miles on the car and I am observing the 1000 miles /shift before 4000 rpm break-in procedure painfully. Every time I step on the gas, it is already at 4000 rpm. Man, this car is incredibly fast. I can't wait till it's broken in. The Integra Type R I am selling now is quick only on the top end. Low end torque is pretty much none. In comparison, STI has enormous amount of torque and it seems endless.

I am sure this has been talked about many times. If you don't mind, please tell me your impression and experience after it's broken in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
WooHoo! JDM fogs and bumper beam came in.

I am not the best one to judge the torque. I am coming from a Ford Lightning that was 600lb/ft at the wheels. The STi pulls very well. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's pretty cool. I was super happy. And the moment I started to really push on it the engine seemed to perform better and better with every mile. It seems that the ECU really learns where the limits are in the car (which is probably why a lot of people have pinging issues... it pushes it too far).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
klui... when you go past 4000 for the ffirst time you will be AMAZED at how fast this car is. Secondly after you get done shaking from the amazing amounts of power (hehe as i did), learn how to launch your car. That is the most incredible feeling in the world. Kinda like a rollercoaster taking a 100 ft plunge. Awsome and the traction will definitely impress you. Enjoy your ride!

Robert~

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know your STI is cool when...

staticx313,

How did you launch? I have never done this on an AWD? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
^^^ no way, dude..
Launch @ 3000-4000 rpm, u will get a nice quick launch.. Dumping clutch @ redline will destroy your transmission, clutch, etc and u will burn out, wasting time and rubber on a spot, instead of surging ahead @ lowerer RPM's clutch release..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I didn't wait the full 1000 mile break in period. I talked to a subaru mechanic and he said to drive the car. It's under warranty! So that is what I did after 400 miles. (I put approx. 200 picking it up from dealer)

One thing I will say is when you smell that burning smell it is just the protective coating they put on the car for transit. It goes away after you open it up a couple of times.

The launch on this car is amazing. It feels like I'm driving my motorcycle sometimes. It's not as fast but the closes I've come in a car.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Klui, if you wanna shift less painfully, try to skip gear, like 1-3-5 or 2-4-6. trust me, after breaking in u'll be amazed how fast you car goes.

You are right, you'll never experience any low-end torque by driving a honda, that's why i'll never buy a honda unless it's for travelling purposes. if u don't rev high and launch, u'll probably lose to a housewife in a dodge van w/ kids sitting at the back unless u've reached the high-end. i'm looking forward to sell my gsr too.

the best result for launching our STi is to launch at 4k because there is where the torque peaks at.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Have u seen 2004 R1? Its amazing!!!
And u rite about launching (explain it to the drop the clutch @ redline guy)...

·
Registered
983 Posts
2004 R1? u mean the yamaha bike right? if it is it's always amazing.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Klui said:
I only have 200 miles on the car and I am observing the 1000 miles /shift before 4000 rpm break-in procedure painfully. Every time I step on the gas, it is already at 4000 rpm. Man, this car is incredibly fast. I can't wait till it's broken in. The Integra Type R I am selling now is quick only on the top end. Low end torque is pretty much none. In comparison, STI has enormous amount of torque and it seems endless.

I am sure this has been talked about many times. If you don't mind, please tell me your impression and experience after it's broken in.
Put your depends on, your gonna crap your pants : )

-st

1 - 14 of 14 Posts