IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got the car mid-winter last year, I didn't bother with snow tires. That was a horrible experience, so this year I purchased winter wheels. Now I'm super excited for it to snow.

Question, do most of you just leave the diff in auto or auto + in the snow? If it's really deep is that when I would run full lock?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
935 Posts
I pretty much only drive in Auto, but sometimes I'll put it to Auto +.

I would only full lock it if you're stuck. it snowed 10 inches here on Tuesday and I didn't switch from Auto at all with 0 issues.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Auto+ roads are snow covered.
Auto- for summer or winter goofing.
Full lock for heavy snow/ice/slush/mud, only use straight line driving/very slow/gradual turns.

Try not to ever switch directly to full lock. Always turn it back down to open before going back into auto modes, helps longevity.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
GD: Full lock for ice or real snow. Auto at all other times. My car rarely if ever sees mud.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Auto + works well enough for me in deep snow. I've never seen a situation where I've required full lock and you can damage your diffs by using it in the wrong situations. If you want to drift in snow you can put it into auto - or even full open for hilarity.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Try not to ever switch directly to full lock. Always turn it back down to open before going back into auto modes, helps longevity.
Can you share more details on this? In auto mode, I'd assume the computer would use the full range of capability as needed, and it's going to change lockup much faster than the driver pushing a button, possibly many times in a row as the car moves over different surfaces.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question fully mate. I believe Auto mode is limited in it's thinking, it's never went full lock on it's own mind, im not sure it can. This is just from personal driving experience, can noticeably feel when it's engaged fully.

You make good point about how fast it adjusts on it's own. I forget if was read online or in the driver manual, have been doing this since owned but only go into full lock a few dozen of times, im prob paranoid.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I leave the car on auto for the most part. I will switch to auto + if the road conditions are real bad in terms of snow and ice. I dont recommend going on full lock unless you are going in a straight line the whole time. I would also recommend that before you set the car back to auto mode, make sure you set the diff back down to fully open. I could be wrong but if I remember correctly, if you have it on full lock and then switch to auto, the next time you decide to go to manual mode it will revert back to the last setting which was full lock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I usually put it Auto + or slightly more + if its icy.
I had more issues with the traction/stability control.. as soon the back end slid out the car freaks out (even in TRAC mode) and would lock the diff to the rear 🙄 mid slide.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agree with what I've seen. 1) Don't use OEM (summer) tires - Pole position RE070 A/S worked great on my 2004 STi (sold it, now have a 2019). 2) Also be careful with full lock - wouldn't use if sharp turns (e.g., parking lot after coming off the highway, where you drove essentially straight). My '04 made a horrible "binding" noise when I did that (once) and I thought I surely broke something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since I got the car mid-winter last year, I didn't bother with snow tires. That was a horrible experience, so this year I purchased winter wheels. Now I'm super excited for it to snow.

Question, do most of you just leave the diff in auto or auto + in the snow? If it's really deep is that when I would run full lock?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Here's when you would use it in full lock.
Oldie but a goodie! :D
The point being, if the surface is /completely/ covered in snow or ice, then is time for full lock. You don't want the tires to have to push against each other which is what happens if you have significant traction, which is where some pavement is visible at least some of the time. Having an '06, I don't know about auto- or auto+, but I autocross in Auto.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here's when you would use it in full lock.
Oldie but a goodie! :D
The point being, if the surface is /completely/ covered in snow or ice, then is time for full lock. You don't want the tires to have to push against each other which is what happens if you have significant traction, which is where some pavement is visible at least some of the time. Having an '06, I don't know about auto- or auto+, but I autocross in Auto.
Wouldn't full open be the best setting for autocross? It's more consistent and the torque ratio is closer to 41-59.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts