IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Big Dee

I'm starting to look seriously and it appears that the supply/demand situation is beginning to tip in favor of the buyer. My closest dealer has had four STis on the lot for the past month. The local dealers are claiming that they'll sell at MSRP and "everyone else" is charging above MSRP. Having previously negotiated with dealers on many occasions, I'm fairly well convinced that in car-dealer-speak, this translates into "I'm gonna try to get MSRP from you, but there's some room for negotiation."

My assessment of the current market situation here in the Midwest is confirmed by ads for some of the STis being offered on-line below MSRP.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's bought below MSRP--who, what, when and where. I'd like the info to back up my negotiations (assuming, of course, that I get spousal approval :roll: to proceed). I'd really rather deal with a local business, but I would consider going elsewhere to avoid being violated during the purchase process. :eek:

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I paid $1150 under if I'm not mistaken. This was on a 7/03 build at the end of August at a local dealer in Pittsburgh. My friend got another $100 off that a month later on his STi. Some places are selling at invoice. No one is really buying for over MSRP. Bit of advice - go at the end of the month, they will be more anxious to move the cars (should have more coming in). The dealer that has sold at invoice is called wagonmaster I believe and is in Eastern PA. I know another dealer in Pittsburgh has also sold for at least $1000 MSRP.

If I were you, I wouldn't consider anything other than at least $1000 off, and I REALLY think you should be able to get $1200-1500 off or so.

Good Luck,

-st

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a STI on order with a local dealer. The car finally arrived about a month ago and I asked for $1000 below MSRP, which they refused. Again with the claim that everyone else is above MSRP and so they are doing me a favor not marking it up above MSRP. So, I let them keep the car. I will be purchasing a STI next spring for invoice, nothing more.

That was the first time I ever turned my back on a car I had been wanting for over a year. From this point forward, I will have the exact price I'm looking for written on a piece of paper in my pocket before I talk to a dealer.

Keep in mind a car is only worth what the market will bare. We are in the Midwest and it snows here. You are trying to buy a car that only comes with summer tires. The STI is just not going to sell well in this market at this time of year. Locally, the Impreza line in general hasn't been very hot for the last couple months either. You should be able to leverage that in your favor, if you plan to buy before spring.

-Lance

·
Registered
113 Posts
Under MSRP? Let alone at invoice? Here in Northern CA if you can find one at MSRP, you should consider yourself being fortunate. You Midwest guys are lucky. I paid mine at MSRP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is about $3000 worth of profit between Invoice to MSRP, and I paid about $1000 over invoice. Or about $2000 off MSRP.

A real offer that most dealers would take would be $1000 under MSRP; that's fais for all involved. Now, good luck with the wife!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I thought MSRP was 2k more than invoice. Sorry, I'm probably wrong. RadarOnPaws, where do you live, and what dealer did you get it from? Did you pay cash, or did you finance? Did you trade in a car? Sorry for the questions, but that's the kind of deal I'm lookin' for :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think we should ban threads like this. It's too painful for those who paid MSRP or above MSRP *cough* suckers. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
There is $2415 between invoice and MSRP for a STI with NO options.

MSRP: $30,995
Invoice: $28,580
Dealer Cost (Invoice minus 3% of the Total MSRP): $27,650
Thease prices are NOT including destination charge ($550)

-Lance

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:
I thought MSRP was 2k more than invoice. Sorry, I'm probably wrong. RadarOnPaws, where do you live, and what dealer did you get it from? Did you pay cash, or did you finance? Did you trade in a car? Sorry for the questions, but that's the kind of deal I'm lookin' for :D
Sending a PM... check your messages in a minute.

·
Registered
376 Posts
got mine for 800 under msrp, the way i did it was i called EVERY subaru dealer in the state, and asked "what can you guys do for me"? and when you get the best deal, you work with that...keep calling other dealers and say "well this guy from this dealership is offering me XXX under msrp"....i kept calling around, not to mention got rejected alot, BUT couple dealers asked me "what they need to do to get your business" and i told them to go 500 under....great, now i called back to the other guy that i was currently dealing with and told him i could get it for 500 or under, and the guy was fed up and said "800 under NO more BULLSH*T, let's get this deal done..." i was pumped, i remember jumping up and down pumpin my fist in the air haha, anyway point is ....... get the dealers to fight for you and compete for you because when you have that you always will come out on top (as long as you have the patience for it)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
agent.STi said:
I think we should ban threads like this. It's too painful for those who paid MSRP or above MSRP *cough* suckers. :)
I disagree. What pain? The car is cheap enough that the delta between invoice and MSRP is in the noise range.

Plus, you guys keep forgetting that supply and demand still differs from region to region.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yeah what pain? I paid MSRP but got the first one in the midwest. I never would have paid over MSRP like some did around my area though. This was the first time I ever paid MSRP for anything and although did not care to, I have been waiting for an STi for years so in order to get one asap it was worth it to me. Today I would definitely not pay MSRP, I also would not expect invoice either, even next year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anything over $500 of the dealer's invoice is not a good deal. You can get that deal, you just have to know how - make them compete against each other.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That is not true in ALL geographic markets!

This thread should locked. We revisit this, what, once every two weeks?

·
Registered
114 Posts
What's with the 'this thread should be banned' or 'this thread should be locked' BS? Seems like a perfectly fine and normal conversation to me. This is not the Soviet Union.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Same **** different day. Plus, people are stating what I think is misleading information. Stuff like "you should be paying no more that Invoice + $500" does not hold for all market segments. Similarly, a lot of people were happy as hell to get MSRP agreements BEFORE the car was available and at a time when dealers were already adding markups way above MSRP. For the record I paid MSRP for the base car. I got options for free(including what was special order Canadian STi mats), options for reduced price, and dealer services worth a lot of $$. I was happy and built a good relationship with the local dealer. But the fact remains that I paid MSRP per the written agreement that I received before the price was announced.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts