IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says, I did a handbrake turn on my '10 STI with the DCCD set on full lock; now I'm getting clunking at low speed corners, don't know about high speed because too scared to test that so far

The clunking gets progressively worse as I tighten up the diff on manual mode but is gone when I drive in a straight line on lock or when set to AUTO.

Did I fry my center diff? Is it still drivable for the time being as I save up to get this fixed?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Well you are not suppost to drive the car on full lock unless you absolutly have to. Full lock is really for extreme weather and road conditions when the car cant stay straight on its own. Again, extreme conditions. You also arent really suppost to be taking turns when the car is in full lock. Its possible you may have damaged something but we wont know forsure untill its taken apart and inspected.

Reduce the diff settings untill its completly unlocked and set it to auto. If the car drives ok including turns and going straight, then i would leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
As title says, I did a handbrake turn on my '10 STI with the DCCD set on full lock; now I'm getting clunking at low speed corners, don't know about high speed because too scared to test that so far

The clunking gets progressively worse as I tighten up the diff on manual mode but is gone when I drive in a straight line on lock or when set to AUTO.

Did I fry my center diff? Is it still drivable for the time being as I save up to get this fixed?
NO, that's the way it works - and the clunking telling you not to do that as others have written.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wouldn't drive it too far or fast with those noises. Could be a lot of thing's, take it to a professional and be prepared to spend some $$. Save it for winter and the few situations it's needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts