1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some tidbits I received from my source this week:

From April 23rd:
Hello everyone,
I was in Miami yesterday for training on the 03 Forester. In my group we had alot of Subaru Reps and upper management people going thru the same training as well as the regional trainer. I asked him about the Sti during lunch. His comments were that Mitsubishi and Subaru are playing alittle game with each other. Mitsubishi knows Subaru will launch the Sti as soon as they launch the Evo VII. So they are waffling abit on release date now as well as being very vague on pricing. I saw the same article as all of you in Sports Compact Car. He says he heard Evo Vll will be in
the middle to upper 30s. This is all comments from our regional trainer. He told me he feels the Sti is ready to go soon as Mitsubishi launches the Evo. We will see what happens. I hope to have a bigger update in May when I go to the Dealer Meeting. I thought you all would enjoy hearing about the game playing between the 2.
Talk to you soon,
XXXXXX
From April 27th:
Hello Everyone,
Here is a little piece of info I received. This is not from any U.S. Factory guys. It came from Japan. I can not verify this but will try to get more info at the Dealer Meeting at the end of May.

Information Impreza 2002MY

Subaru will add two new models.
They will start sell early May. (Japan)

a) WRX STI Limited.
Bace model: WRX STI
Engine : RA Spec C model's Engine (280PS/39.2kg.m)(But not VF34 Turbo)
Exteria : STI front spoiler, STI rear spoiler
1300 cars only

b) S202 STI Version
Engine : Modify RA Spec C engine (320PS/39.2kg.m)
Exteria : STI rear spoiler
Brake : Brembo's with light weight slit rotor
Rim : RAYS ( Maybe STI parts )
Others : Piro-ball lateral link, Titanium muffler, Alloy pedals
400 cars only

I don't have any photo yet.
I will send to you it when I get.

****Note****

Impreza will change August. ( 2003MY) ( Maybe STI model will ship to U.S. October or November.) Everybody thinks Subaru & STI has a lot of excess stock of Impreza in Factory. Also rear spoiler......
They need to try sell them before August..........
Then supply this model.

It's only Subaru
It's is only catalogue spec...I think...Maybe 270-300PS
More as I get it....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STi Wagon

This is a combo of fact and some theorizing.
As read from the Subaru of America's plan for 2002. This May they released the 2003 Forester. In September 2002 they will release the 2003 Subaru BAJA. In 2003 they will release the 2004 Forester GT (turbo) and the Subaru STI. In 2004 they'll release the 2005 Legacy GT turbo. They gave quantities for all of these but I only remeber the STI. The report said they were releasing 1200 of these vehicles. Now for my theories.
Allocation: They will not have trouble selling all 1200 of these vehicles at full MSRP. They will most likely give at least one vehicle to each dealership with more to top selling dealerships. Preorders will probably not be considered. A little dealership in Wyoming could take 10 fully paid preorders and still only get one or possibly not any vehicles.
Release date of the 2003 WRXs will probably be late summer August or September. The EVO VIII is to be released in January (I think) so it's hard to say if they will release the STI in early 2003 as an early 2004 model to directly compete or if they will give the EVO VIII a few months to judge their sales before they make the call if they want to bring the STI in summer 2003.
I say buy a WRX now and then drive it for a year or two, then trade it in on a STI if they come out. Or just spend some money and build up your WRX.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I theorize this:

I don't think we have to worry about whether the STi will come or not. With the announcement of the Evo and its subsequent release, WRX sales will probably start to suffer. The only countermeasure Subaru will have now will be the STi (which means we'll most likely get it). The only thing to worry about now are the specs of what the US version will be, when we'll actually be able to turn the key and how much that key is going to cost.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm aboard...

The release of the EVO won't hurt WRX sales to badly due to the difference in price. The EVO is alot more and is only going to help people see the extreme value in the WRX's pricepoint. If anything it is going to boost WRX sales for people who want the power but don't want to pay the price. For a grand you can do a few small mods to a WRX and extract alot more power and still not touch the EVOs cost. New uppipe, cat back exhaust, and a kn filter would give plenty of power.
Grant

·
Registered
12 Posts
I talked to the mitsubishi dealer in my home area 2 weeks ago when i was home and he said that the EVO is going to be released in Aug. and it would come over here as an EVO VII. The sticker price would be about 30K for a base model and continue on up from there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
worm, if you are a at a dealership would you please PM me i'd like to talk about a o3' WRX purchase and model changes. & what goodies will STi bring over that the dealerships will sell for your loyal WRX (not STi) owners??? i'd like to be able to get the lat-link kit for my subie as well as a few other STi goodies at price that i wont have to sell a kidney to afford. if subaru wants to fight in the upcoming horsepower wars they'll need to release all kinds of STi and STi parts. i need my STi forrester and legacy. if i could get a turbo or STi legacy id buy that for my girl instead of the new lexus IS.

kudos and thankx for the info

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this is off subject a little but here goes. I've seen a lot of great info on the STi on here. Does anyone know what if any changes there will be for the "regular" WRX in the next model year?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read on i club that peeps were shown the 2003 paper work at certain dealerships...they commented no major changes ...only minor

= added a light around key for night
= changed something about the vanity mirrors in visor
= changed limited edition blaze yellow to a brighter yellow

what it comes down to is I heard no major changes..but let's keep in mind this could be all talk......

Anyhow, I'm thinkin im getting a 2003 wrx ..just holdin out for the dealerships to order. 8)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry BuDDyLeE, I don't work for a dealership...let's just say I'm pretty close to those in the know.

The "May" dealer meeting happens later this week, my fingers are crossed for some sort of announcment.

As far as '03 changes to the WRX I haven't heard any specifics, if there are changes they will be very minor...the Impreza (Including the WRX) line is scheaduled for another full redesign in 2005. I'd expect only "tweaks" between now & then.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Worm,
I keep hearing a bit more than 261hp...I keep hearing around 270+..

Any word on this? Is this concrete? Remember too, that the Euro market gets 261hp and their WRX is only 218. Now, in the US our WRX is hitting 227hp, so I could only imagine our STi coming with 5-10hp more than the Euro-spec model.

·
Registered
75 Posts
91TB78 - The initial "spec's" called for 261 HP, I wouldn't be surprised now if it was tweaked for a bit more, just like the official pricing & release date, I doubt we'll know for sure until Mitsu releases their EVO here, SOA will try and out do them! :)

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Worm, thanks, you know we all appreciate your info. I just wanted to throw my wrench into the gears a bit and see what everyone would say.

alfredob1, getting to 300 would be EASY!!!! With the STi, I would say it would almost be as easy as a reprogramming of the ECU. If you want a better way then up-pipe, down-pipe, etc. I think the STi muffler actually works quite well. An easy way would be to stuff a HUGE Front mounted intercooler on the STi..that should do the trick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just got my tidbit of info from the May dealers meeting...

Hello Everyone,
Sorry it took so long to send the update. I talked with quite a few people concerning the STi. One was ************* for Subaru. He is trying to convince Fuji to make available STi parts to the US. He told me he is slowly making headway and they may consider trying some stuff. Radiator Cap, Performance Clutches, front and rear bar, fog light covers, radiator hoses, and braided brake lines. Hey its a start.

On the STi he said that they were going to start production on the US STi in March (03). So they would probably be reaching Dealerships in June (03). That means unfortunately that we are still about a year away. Nothing was mentioned on pricing. As we get closer we should hear more. The Dealer council meeting is coming up in the 2nd week of July and we can probe a little more there. I was hoping to have more information, but thats as much as I could get. No one else knew specifics.

The gentleman that gave me the info is pretty high up so it should be accurate. I will let you know more when I get it. But, looks like we are still a year away.
Not exactly what I was wanting to hear...but good news none the less!

More as I get it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts