IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im just bringing this subject up because it raises some concerns in my mind. Where do you draw the line, transmissionwise, for the car to be considered as abussive driving.

It looks to me that the STi is a resious powerhouse machine.....so, why is it that our synchros cant handle it ??

I see these commercials on TV about the WRX being in total control during a drift....sorta llike a selling point bcuz of the AWD.

Now, for the puspose of TV commercials: Is it ok for SOA to 'ABUSE THEIR CARS' to try and show us the type of potential the AWD has in order to SELL A VEHICLE to US/CUSTOMER ???

I mean, why would you mislead a customer in such a way ??

SO, where do you draw the line ?

I bring this up due to the fact that some members, includuing me, have been experiencing tranny grinds already!!!!

later

·
Chuck taught me everything I know
504 Posts
First let me say I feel your pain as I have experienced some issues with my S4 of the same nature, just not yet with the STi yet. You might want to try some experimentation with other brands of gear oil. The real answer to your question of abuse is (drum roll please) that would depend on your dealer and regional rep. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
maybe you're not shifting correctly? not to accuse you or anything, but I get a grind once in a while... not often, but every now and then... if the synchros are messed up it wouldnt do it randomly... maybe you're just not pushing the clutch in enough (as I know Im usually not, when i have it happen... ya i know my bad ...). Also what kind of grinding? short grinds? long grinds? does it shake the car? Also why are you saying its an "abused tranny" ? Unless you're out racing it and "abusing" it you shouldnt have a problem with it. Some of their commercials show them driving fast... but i know for a fact not a single one show them revving to 6k-redline and dumping it and then smashing into 2nd and then into 3rd... drifting and fast driving should have no affect on the tranny... unless for some reason you're shifting in the middle of it too fast and arent taking your time to properly change gears. Lets make sure you're not getting overworked about something thats not a huge deal :)

Robert~

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with Game Over... I am in a very similar situation, and it appears SOA will use the "Abuse" word as its way out of paying for what i demand to be warranty work. I am absolutley pissed about this, and and two dealerships are telling me if they remove the tranny, Subaru will inspect it... if it's "Abuse" i pay... if not they pay.
That is bull****.

What determines Abuse... I drive my car to and from work daily. I have never raced it, have never brought it to an auto-x or used my enclosed scca membership.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
mountie31 said:
I agree with Game Over... I am in a very similar situation, and it appears SOA will use the "Abuse" word as its way out of paying for what i demand to be warranty work. I am absolutley pissed about this, and and two dealerships are telling me if they remove the tranny, Subaru will inspect it... if it's "Abuse" i pay... if not they pay.
That is bull****.
I don't think so. If you abused your car, it's your responsibility to fix it. If you didn't abuse it, it's Subaru's responsibility. If they claim abuse and you disagree, then it becomes a legal matter and Subaru will have to prove their claim.

What determines Abuse... I drive my car to and from work daily. I have never raced it, have never brought it to an auto-x or used my enclosed scca membership.
Ask the service manager what findings would point to abuse before they open the tranny.

It's entirely possible to autocross or track a car without abusing it, and it's also possible to abuse a car on the daily commute. This is just common sense. One doesn't do 6k RPM clutch dumps on -10 degree mornings to warm up the tranny after bouncing off the rev limiter a couple times to warm up the engine.

If you haven't abused your car, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't think there is anough information out there to suggest that there is anything wrong with the 6-speed. Really, it is considered to be pretty much bullet-proof across the world. Personally I haven't had any issues in close to 6k miles now.

Did you check your tranny fluid level?

Do you typically experience them at a particular temperature? (I don't do any serious shifts until the car is up to temp)

How many miles were on your car when you purchased it? Is it possible that it was abused at the dealership?

-st

·
Registered
487 Posts
Reset the ecu before you take it in for warranty work.

I'm pretty sure this gets rid of ecu limp mode histories and other evidence of driving it hard.

Someone correct me please if this isn't the case?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Antimullet said:
Reset the ecu before you take it in for warranty work.

I'm pretty sure this gets rid of ecu limp mode histories and other evidence of driving it hard.

Someone correct me please if this isn't the case?
That seems almost too simple. I would think they would have thought of that, but who knows...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I don't think you should have to do this.... a record of you hitting the rev limiter doesn't mean you're abusing the car.... it just means you hit high rpm's at some point.

Abuse will likely be determined based on the condition of the tranny.....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ok, so here are the top ten ways that you can refute a claim that you have abused the car:

1) Advertised as a street legal race car
2) Sales rep took me out and did four wheel drifts through some corners
3) Sales rep touted the car's abilities incessantly basing his claims on the performance driving day he recently returned from where other sales reps bounced the STIs off the limiters all day long, pushed them hard in blazing heat, and grinded the transmissions multiple times without any problems
4) You gave me a one year subscription to what? And why would a dealership do that?
5) You gave me a DCCD for what reason again?
6) Good luck explaining the purpose of the I/C Spray Switch (a tempting little devil that will squeak out every little ounce of hp the engine can put out) which was not installed to discourage abusive driving.
7) What big Brembo brakes you provide standard with the car; are those really just for looks? NO!!!! They are to slow you down from 135 mph to 65 mph in 3 seconds when you realize that you are rapidly approaching that cop down the road and who you are about to pass up.
8) Six speed transmission, aren't those installed in high performance vehicles?
9) Oh, I know, that Shift buzzer and light is for those that want to set their shift point to maximize fuel economy. :)
10) The tires are only good in summer and very poor in the winter. Why would one sell such a tire that could only be used half of the year depending on what part of the country you reside?

Anybody have some more to add.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All I gotta say is that shifts from 2nd to 3rd are ALOT harder than from 3rd to 4th....it seems to me that 1st and 2nd would be more prone to go out first if ABUSE would've been the case here.

But yeah, to answer the questions: yes I press in the clutch in all the way on every shift AND no I dont think theres a widespread problem with the tranny.

I just dont know why my 4th gear has gone bad. It goes in like silk when driving the car like old people do in their buicks.

If I wouldve wanted a silky ride or a 'cruiser' I wouldve gotten a buick!!!! :evil:

Its just funny how my '98 gsx's tranny hasnt gone bad and how my civic si took all those 'above vtec rpm range' shifts flawlesly.
grrrrrrr :roll: :cry:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
is it a common practice with manual trannys that performance shifting automatically means hammering the shifter into every gear? Gameover states that his tranny shifts like silk when he drives like grandma. is it possible to overshift? by that i mean slamming the car from gear to gear with so much force that it overloads them. i know resting the weight of your hand on the shifter is bad because it preloads the gear and causes unnecessary wear.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
crashsti said:
is it a common practice with manual trannys that performance shifting automatically means hammering the shifter into every gear? Gameover states that his tranny shifts like silk when he drives like grandma. is it possible to overshift? by that i mean slamming the car from gear to gear with so much force that it overloads them. i know resting the weight of your hand on the shifter is bad because it preloads the gear and causes unnecessary wear.
Yes, there is absolutely no reason to "slam" into gear. Watch the guys in the best motoring dvds, they shift fast as hell, but they are precise and smooth.

-st

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
hey singletrack!!! i keep hearing mention of these Best Motoring Videos, what exactly are they and are there any you could recommend. i'm only 6 months into driving stick, learned on the STI. i've gotten rather good at shifting but still have a long way to go.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
crashsti said:
hey singletrack!!! i keep hearing mention of these Best Motoring Videos, what exactly are they and are there any you could recommend. i'm only 6 months into driving stick, learned on the STI. i've gotten rather good at shifting but still have a long way to go.
Well the "Best Motoring" stuff is hardly informational/educational, but you can learn some things from watching. Really, they are for entertainment purposes. My friend had a bunch that I watched a few weeks ago and they are really pretty cool. I've never bought any so maybe someone else could point you in the right direction, or you could just search google I suppose.

Maybe you should consider taking a driving school? I know my local track has all sorts of classes for differing ability levels. They start at $175 for a full day course. Certainly something to consider.

Hope that helps,

-st

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hahah, Best Motoring Drivers....what makes you think that they dont 'slam' the gears ?!?!? When youre shifting very fast its all a matter of milliseconds..............in fact, to prove you wrong I will look through my collection of Best Motoring Videos and 'pin point' an incident in which one of the drivers misshifted.

You guys are turning this into some science fair...........I mean, how many of you guys are able to shift really fast but pressing on the clutch XXmilliseconds, if not micro seconds, b4 taking it outta gear and then on the desired gear and finally release the clutch milliseconds, if not microseconds, after the car is in gear ?!?! :roll:

I just think WE ALL PRESS ON THE CLUTCH+SHIFT AT THE SAME TIME :roll:

Im just disptd by this issue.

I chose the STi over the EVO, 350Z, S2000, G35 COUPE

And to be honest with you guys, I havent read of any 350z owner having problems with nissan about warranty work on their trannys AND I THINK ITS BECAUSE NISSAN VALUES ITS CUSTOMERS.

The success of SOA here in America was due to their flagship car at the time, the WRX .......... I AM so frustrated that I haven't even taken my car to the dealership to be looked at. What kind of motivation is that ???? Telling you upfront taht if its ur fault ull have to pay for the repair bill................SORRY guys I just plan on the worst case scenario.

But you know what, I have another car and I plan to take the STi in for them to look at it.

Before I do what I plan on doing : Can I take SOA to small claims court in the event they dont want to pay or repair whatever damages the car has ?!?

I currently have 12700 miles.

Ohh yeahhhh, and I am documenting my mileage here on the forums.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Re: Swaybar / Spring / Strut Top Setup... Please Help...

GameOver said:
I just think WE ALL PRESS ON THE CLUTCH+SHIFT AT THE SAME TIME :roll:
I don't. Over time, two given drivers can shift in what you might think is the same time, but one is easier on their transmission and clutch than the other.

And sure, you might see race drivers misshift occasionally, but if you were to ride with them in a passenger car and watch them shift and drive, you'd realize how smooth and effortless a good racing driver makes complex tasks. As Jackie Stewart used to say, you will feel g's and loadings on the car changing when it is going fast, but you want it to be smooth. You shouldn't feel any dramatic sensations of the car being thown around.

I know this is OT, but the simple fact of the matter is that not all drivers do perform the same or have the same effect on their car's mechanical parts. To think so is just plain silly.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
More amp help needed

Yea, there's a lot that you said there that's pretty rediculous. The WRX is SOA's flagship car that made them successful in america? I hate to burst your bubble, but there have been subarus in america for YEARS before we had WRX's....

And shifting and clutch at the same time? I dont f'ing think so.... No wonder they said they're not gonna warranty your tranny...

1 - 20 of 99 Posts